And we're back!

Main Menu

Best President you never had

Started by Sheilbh, November 09, 2012, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2012, 10:47:01 AM
Hubert Humphrey.

Two big republican names not yet mentioned: Seward and Dole.
EDIT: and Wendell Willkie.

I was thinking Seward, but went with Hamlin as it would mean that Johnson wouldn't be president.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on November 09, 2012, 06:53:22 PM
George S. Patton

I shudder to think of the losses incurred to pass the National highways act.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2012, 06:14:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 09, 2012, 12:27:11 AM
Preston Manning.

I think that is true.  But at the time he had a real shot at power he had too many MPs who were complete wack jobs and so while he was a compelling leader his cabinet would have been pretty scary.

Disagree.

Now in '93 Reform would have been a disaster as a government.  Even in '97.

But when the Canadian Alliance was formed, Manning ran for leader.  He was defeated by Stockwell Day (who to my eternal shame I supported over Manning).  Day of course did disastrously as leader, but by 2000 many of the wingnuts were gone and there would have been a strong cabinet in a Manning-led government.

Another interesting historical "what if" would have been Robert Stanfield.  While I think he'd have been an improvement over Trudeau, I suspect his government would have been fairly ineffective, and thus not the "best PM we never had".

You will recall I said when he had a real shot at power. By 2000 his time was over - hell even you didnt support him anymore.  His time was in the 90s and during that time the Reform party was full of nutbars.

Stanfield seems to have been a nice amicable guy - exactly what the country did not need at that time.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2012, 06:14:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 09, 2012, 12:27:11 AM
Preston Manning.

I think that is true.  But at the time he had a real shot at power he had too many MPs who were complete wack jobs and so while he was a compelling leader his cabinet would have been pretty scary.

Disagree.

Now in '93 Reform would have been a disaster as a government.  Even in '97.

But when the Canadian Alliance was formed, Manning ran for leader.  He was defeated by Stockwell Day (who to my eternal shame I supported over Manning).  Day of course did disastrously as leader, but by 2000 many of the wingnuts were gone and there would have been a strong cabinet in a Manning-led government.

Another interesting historical "what if" would have been Robert Stanfield.  While I think he'd have been an improvement over Trudeau, I suspect his government would have been fairly ineffective, and thus not the "best PM we never had".

You will recall I said when he had a real shot at power. By 2000 his time was over - hell even you didnt support him anymore.  His time was in the 90s and during that time the Reform party was full of nutbars.

Stanfield seems to have been a nice amicable guy - exactly what the country did not need at that time.

That was my own personal failing.  And I didn't even get 30 peices of silver. :cry:

But Manning didn't lose that leadership race by that much.  It's quite possible to imagine him winning the leadership race and then doing far, far better than Day did in the following election.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2012, 01:26:34 AM
That was my own personal failing.  And I didn't even get 30 peices of silver. :cry:

But Manning didn't lose that leadership race by that much.  It's quite possible to imagine him winning the leadership race and then doing far, far better than Day did in the following election.

On the bright side I now have someone to blame for Day's leadership win.  Before I could just wonder at who might have supported him.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2012, 03:20:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2012, 01:26:34 AM

On the bright side I now have someone to blame for Day's leadership win.  Before I could just wonder at who might have supported him.

If you want to get technical I voted for Diane Ablonczy. :contract:

Ed Anger

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2012, 05:39:44 PM
God, Canadians.  :rolleyes:

It must hurt you so, knowing that our dollar is worth more, our politics less corrupt, and our women more attractive.  :console:

Ed Anger

Yes, very hurt. I may shoot myself because of it.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2012, 05:47:10 PM
Yes, very hurt. I may shoot myself because of it.

There, there. :console:

You have a very fine little country as well.  No country can be #1 all of the time.  Just enjoy the slide into mediocrity.

Ed Anger

I don't even know what you are babbling about. I didn't even shout USA!

Canadians.  :rolleyes: