And we're back!

Main Menu

Best President you never had

Started by Sheilbh, November 09, 2012, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2012, 10:50:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2012, 05:45:37 PM
it must hurt you so, knowing that our dollar is worth more, our politics less corrupt, and our women more attractive.  :console:

Amazing how Canada pulls it off, since their grasp of the English language is so weak that they start posting about Canadian leaders in a "Best President you never had" thread despite the fact that the office of President does not exist in Canada.

On the other hand the lack of attention to detail Americans seem to suffer explains much.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2012, 03:43:12 PM
If you want to get technical I voted for Diane Ablonczy. :contract:
Not your best moment, was it?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 14, 2012, 12:01:06 PM

Why not?  Diane was a fabulous MP and very nice person.  Plus she was running as the most pro-merger candidate.

But she is no Preston Manning. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 14, 2012, 12:01:06 PM

Why not?  Diane was a fabulous MP and very nice person.  Plus she was running as the most pro-merger candidate.

But she is no Preston Manning. :(

If Manning had won the Reform/Canadian Alliance/ or whatever they decided to call themselves next would have continued on to split the vote and we would currently have Prime Minister Martin leading an increasingly corrupt and corruptable Liberal party.

In hindsight Day needed to win in order to make way for the eventual merger of the parties.  If a competent leader had been elected you Reformers would have still clung to hope.

We will see if the Liberals are able to come back from the dead after the leadership convention.  If it does then we will be back to the robust politics we had in the 80s with the Liberals and Conservatives fighting for power and a marginalized NDP.  Balance will be restored.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2012, 12:43:17 PM
If Manning had won the Reform/Canadian Alliance/ or whatever they decided to call themselves next would have continued on to split the vote and we would currently have Prime Minister Martin leading an increasingly corrupt and corruptable Liberal party.

In hindsight Day needed to win in order to make way for the eventual merger of the parties.  If a competent leader had been elected you Reformers would have still clung to hope.

We will see if the Liberals are able to come back from the dead after the leadership convention.  If it does then we will be back to the robust politics we had in the 80s with the Liberals and Conservatives fighting for power and a marginalized NDP.  Balance will be restored.

Nonsense.  The opposition to a merger was always coming from the PCs, not Reform/Alliance.  It mattered little who led the Alliance - it mattered who led the PC Party.  It was only when Joe Clarke stepped down and Peter McKay became leader that the two parties merged just a few months later.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 01:18:26 PM
Nonsense.  The opposition to a merger was always coming from the PCs, not Reform/Alliance.  It mattered little who led the Alliance - it mattered who led the PC Party.  It was only when Joe Clarke stepped down and Peter McKay became leader that the two parties merged just a few months later.

Ok Reform Fanboi, but do you seriously think that if Day hadnt fallen flat on his face that the Alliance would still have been interested in a merger?  Dont think so.  If was only because they saw they had no political future that a merger began to make sense.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2012, 01:21:41 PM

Ok Reform Fanboi, but do you seriously think that if Day hadnt fallen flat on his face that the Alliance would still have been interested in a merger?  Dont think so.  If was only because they saw they had no political future that a merger began to make sense.

Did you forget the entire purpose of the whole "Canadian Alliance"?  It was to try and unite the parties.  The full name was the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2012, 01:21:41 PM

Did you forget the entire purpose of the whole "Canadian Alliance"?  It was to try and unite the parties.  The full name was the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance.

You drank the cool aid my friend.  The whole purpose of the Canadian Alliance was to try to rebrand the Reform party to make it more palatable.  That rebranding effort failed when it elected Day.

Neil

No, you're both right.  The whole point of the Alliance was to merge Reform and Conservative, and in that it was a partial success.  However, cc is right hat when Day became leader, it became difficult to shake the perception that the Alliance was just a rebranding of the Reform Party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

You guys killed a perfectly good "let's all make fun of the silly Yanks" hijack with Canadian Reform politics.  :(

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2012, 04:39:01 PM
You guys killed a perfectly good "let's all make fun of the silly Yanks" hijack with Canadian Reform politics.  :(

:canucked: :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 04:55:30 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2012, 04:39:01 PM

:canucked: :(

:lol:

See, you guys are letting the Yanks have the last laugh with your earnest politicking.  :(

Of course, then we can think of the circus that is US politics, and feel much better.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

You Canucks are just so.......boring.

:(

Sink a Spanish fishing vessel or something.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2012, 05:15:14 PM
You Canucks are just so.......boring.

:(

Sink a Spanish fishing vessel or something.

We had a big conference to decide whether to be really exciting and drive our economy into the ground while revoking universal medical care in favour of mandatory private insurance but we all decided it was a bad idea.

Ed Anger

That doesn't work on me, thanks.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive