And we're back!

Main Menu

Best President you never had

Started by Sheilbh, November 09, 2012, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Minsky Moment

Hubert Humphrey.

Two big republican names not yet mentioned: Seward and Dole.
EDIT: and Wendell Willkie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2012, 10:47:01 AM
Two big republican names not yet mentioned: Seward and Dole.

PAY MOR ATTENTION  :mad:

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on November 09, 2012, 12:27:11 AM
Preston Manning.

I think that is true.  But at the time he had a real shot at power he had too many MPs who were complete wack jobs and so while he was a compelling leader his cabinet would have been pretty scary.

MadImmortalMan

Willkie is an interesting choice.

Maybe William H. Harrison. I mean technically, he was President for a bit, but still.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Gups

Quote from: Neil on November 09, 2012, 08:50:50 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 09, 2012, 02:57:57 AM
Maj. Denis Healey
Really?  No love for Kinnock?

I like Kinnock a lot. He was absolutely necessary to bring the Labour party back to electability and in fact I don't think anyone else could have done it. He also had a sense of humour, could take his drink and didn't mind getting in a ruck.

But he would have been a pretty shit PM IMO.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 09, 2012, 12:13:19 PM
Maybe William H. Harrison. I mean technically, he was President for a bit, but still.

Well he did pick John Tyler for VP.  That doesn't bode well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

No idea. We don't remember losers in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2012, 01:38:19 PM

SO that's why Swedish history is such an obscure subject.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Preston Manning.
I think that is true.  But at the time he had a real shot at power he had too many MPs who were complete wack jobs and so while he was a compelling leader his cabinet would have been pretty scary.
I agree with you.  The very top of Reform was pretty good, but as you went down the hill, you rant into some people who would be doing the Tea Party thing if they were American.  The unification provided them with some depth, especially in Eastern Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2012, 01:42:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2012, 01:38:19 PM

SO that's why Swedish history is such an obscure subject.

We're too manly to care about history.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Preston Manning.

Disagree.

Now in '93 Reform would have been a disaster as a government.  Even in '97.

But when the Canadian Alliance was formed, Manning ran for leader.  He was defeated by Stockwell Day (who to my eternal shame I supported over Manning).  Day of course did disastrously as leader, but by 2000 many of the wingnuts were gone and there would have been a strong cabinet in a Manning-led government.

Another interesting historical "what if" would have been Robert Stanfield.  While I think he'd have been an improvement over Trudeau, I suspect his government would have been fairly ineffective, and thus not the "best PM we never had".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.