News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best President you never had

Started by Sheilbh, November 09, 2012, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Gups

Count

Dukakis (though H.W. did some good things, also ran a nasty campaign and appointed Clarence Thomas). Maybe Humphrey.

I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Liep

Mogens Lykketoft. Before he tried to become PM.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Saladin

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2012, 12:41:41 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2012, 12:32:49 AM
Gore's response to 9/11 would have been moderate, and focused more on building Afghanistan than torture and madness.  Sensible economic policies.  Clinton-era talent.  My entire generation would have been much better off. 

EDIT: Maybe a third Teddy administration?

I think you can say that only W would have used 9/11 as grounds to invade Iraq.

But to think that a President Gore would have focused on "building Afghanistan"?  I think the last 4 years have shown us there isn't a huge amount separating the two parties when it comes to foreign policy.

IMHO Obama's hands are pretty much tied in Afghanistan due to the election promise to
pull out from Afghanistan and Dubya's actions in the country.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2012, 12:54:28 AM
You don't have to express your partisan hackery in every thread, you know.
I don't think his legacy is entirely negative, and I think the man himself was always decent and thoughtful, and felt remorse over allying himself with the worst this country has to offer.  But his foreign policy was unhinged, and he aligned himself with the Dixiecrats.  His '64 campaign deserved to be defeated in a landslide.  And it was. 

Humphrey probably would have been decent, but LBJ keeping us out of Vietnam and winning a second term would have been wonderful. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

All this Goldwater talk has made me wonder what a Rockefeller presidency would have meant for the country and party.  :hmm:

Phillip V

President George Romney

President Mitt Romney

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Would a President Robert F. Kennedy have discovered his brother's murderers?

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2012, 05:23:42 AM
All this Goldwater talk has made me wonder what a Rockefeller presidency would have meant for the country and party.  :hmm:
We'd have colonies on the moon, Communism would have collapsed 20 years earlier, and the AIDS crisis would have been avoided.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2012, 04:52:01 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2012, 12:54:28 AM
You don't have to express your partisan hackery in every thread, you know.
I don't think his legacy is entirely negative, and I think the man himself was always decent and thoughtful, and felt remorse over allying himself with the worst this country has to offer.  But his foreign policy was unhinged, and he aligned himself with the Dixiecrats.  His '64 campaign deserved to be defeated in a landslide.  And it was. 

Humphrey probably would have been decent, but LBJ keeping us out of Vietnam and winning a second term would have been wonderful.

Yeah, I mean the Goldwater a nice man, but he was sorta crazy.  I could see why a guy from Georgia would support him though.  Opposed the civil rights law of 1964 and all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017