News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best President you never had

Started by Sheilbh, November 09, 2012, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Inspired by CdM's Avatar, who do you think's the best President/PM/Chancellor you never had?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Gore's response to 9/11 would have been moderate, and focused more on building Afghanistan than torture and madness.  Sensible economic policies.  Clinton-era talent.  My entire generation would have been much better off. 

EDIT: Maybe a third Teddy administration?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2012, 12:31:56 AM
Goldwater.
....would probably have been a total, complete, unimaginably terrible president. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2012, 12:32:49 AM
Gore's response to 9/11 would have been moderate, and focused more on building Afghanistan than torture and madness.  Sensible economic policies.  Clinton-era talent.  My entire generation would have been much better off. 

EDIT: Maybe a third Teddy administration?

I think you can say that only W would have used 9/11 as grounds to invade Iraq.

But to think that a President Gore would have focused on "building Afghanistan"?  I think the last 4 years have shown us there isn't a huge amount separating the two parties when it comes to foreign policy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2012, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2012, 12:31:56 AM
Goldwater.
....would probably have been a total, complete, unimaginably terrible president.

You don't have to express your partisan hackery in every thread, you know.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

I can't think of the last time you did.  Probably because you manage to express yourself in less douchey ways than Squeelus.  :hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien