News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Walk Score

Started by Malthus, May 15, 2009, 02:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

My old neighborhood in Berkeley gets 100 out of 100.  Doesn't really deserve that score though, the nearest proper supermarket was about a 10 minute walk away.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 16, 2009, 12:57:18 PM
My old neighborhood in Berkeley gets 100 out of 100.  Doesn't really deserve that score though, the nearest proper supermarket was about a 10 minute walk away.

Ya my hood is more walkable than Berkeley and only got a 91
:p

MadImmortalMan

Ten minutes is not a long walk.  :huh:

Anyway, I wonder if there is a site like this that does some analysis on whether not having a car is ultimately cheaper or more expensive where you live. I'm willing to bet that a good majority of the places where you could live without owning one are so expensive in other costs to more than offset it.

Mono thinks he's saving money not having a car. *snicker*
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

saskganesh

dude that's 800 yards. are you fat or crippled or something?
humans were created in their own image

DisturbedPervert

Nope.  Maybe it was a bit further.  It was far enough to be a pain the ass carrying grocery's back home.

saskganesh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 16, 2009, 12:39:52 PM
well it's a big part of why I don't drive. I don't need to. Never have the whole time I've lived in Vancouver. other hoods I've lived in are almost as "walkable"

:) I've never lived in a nonwalkable neighbourhood. I have often needed cars for workstuff (but not getting to work); never for living.

looking at gas, maintenence, insurance, that's conservatively over $100G I have never had to spend. far more than I spend in cigarettes. plus I am in good shape, which is nice considering my tobacco thing.

cars are fun though. I know that part.

saskganesh

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 16, 2009, 06:39:25 PM
Nope.  Maybe it was a bit further.  It was far enough to be a pain the ass carrying grocery's back home.

steal a shopping cart. :violin:

Ed Anger

Quote from: saskganesh on May 16, 2009, 06:43:11 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 16, 2009, 06:39:25 PM

steal a shopping cart. :violin:

Then you can collect cans. :hobo:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 16, 2009, 04:13:47 PM
Mono thinks he's saving money not having a car. *snicker*
He probably is.  Imagine how much a parking space would cost in Hong Kong.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2009, 06:49:49 PM
He probably is.  Imagine how much a parking space would cost in Hong Kong.

Imagine what his 900 sq/ft flat would cost in a town where he would have to drive.  :P

The comparison is between living where he does with no car and living somewhere he would need a car to get around and having one. Not having a car where he is now. Besides, Mrs. Mono will make him get one anyway and he'll have the worst of both worlds.   :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Andronicos?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

I remember this. It does strange things like considering a coffee shop (no pastries or the like) as a restaurant and calls the liquor store in my apt, a grocery store. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2009, 12:43:55 PM
Got a 55. Seems low, the neighborhood is very walkable. Bars, churches, a pharmacy, restaurants, liquor stores, supermarkets, a baseball field, police station, two elementary schools, a middle school, and a library all within a mile and a half, and most of that's with .75 miles.
In my case there are no bars in this entire county. :lol:

Plenty of gas stations though. :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points