News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Walk Score

Started by Malthus, May 15, 2009, 02:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

It can't even find my current address.  I figure that means it's not a very walkable neighborhood, which of course I already knew.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 02:59:54 PM
Not sure if we've done this before - here's a site for rating how "walkable" your neighbourhood is:

http://www.walkscore.com/

My area's score = 78.
I'm almost positive this was on the last site, and I think you brought it up.  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

vinraith

Walk Score:  26 out of 100 —  Car-Dependent

Unsurprising, if unfortunate.

Sophie Scholl

My last apartment above the bar I worked at: Walk Score:  95 out of 100 — Walkers' Paradise :cool:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

57, but I suspect the map of Warsaw may be not up-to-date.

I mean, within a walking distance from my flat, I have my work office, four cinemas, three theatres, two gay clubs, three fitness clubs, two shopping galleries, two public libraries, two post offices, three parks, countless shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, and a metro station.

Edit: Oh, and the Polish Houses of Parliament ("Sejm"), several ministries, most embassies, at least five major hotels and like a cartload of churches.

Hell, if it wasn't walkable (I don't own a car) it would hardly be navigable at all, because it's like some protest or march going on every second day or so in this area.

Josquius

20 at home. No surprise, it sucks. Though they do completely miss the existance of the supermarket a mile away and instead give me one 4 miles away.
Here they give me 12. Again missing a supermarket a few dozen feet away and pretty much everything else in the city instead directing me to Stockholm...

QuoteI mean, within a walking distance from my flat, I have my work office, four cinemas, three theatres, two gay clubs, three fitness clubs, two shopping galleries, two public libraries, two post offices, three parks, countless shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, and a metro station.

Edit: Oh, and the Polish Houses of Parliament ("Sejm"), several ministries, most embassies, at least five major hotels and like a cartload of churches.

Hell, if it wasn't walkable (I don't own a car) it would hardly be navigable at all, because it's like some protest or march going on every second day or so in this area.
I knew you were a lawyer but...damn you sound rich.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

43. But mostly, because the next drug store is listed as 43km away (when in fact it's more like 40 meters); similar with library, fitness club (I see one from my kitchen window, two blocks from here). Movie theater 1.2km? Maybe. 2 stops with the subway. Bookstore 2.5km? Also not true. Hardware stores are also within ten minutes on foot. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Sounds like it's mostly Europeans having trouble with an incomplete map.

I got a 42.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

schaksen

Walk Score:  34 out of 100 —  Car-Dependent

I don't have a car and walk almost everywhere, as said above the european maps are incomplete
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2009, 03:10:05 AM
20 at home. No surprise, it sucks. Though they do completely miss the existance of the supermarket a mile away and instead give me one 4 miles away.
Here they give me 12. Again missing a supermarket a few dozen feet away and pretty much everything else in the city instead directing me to Stockholm...

QuoteI mean, within a walking distance from my flat, I have my work office, four cinemas, three theatres, two gay clubs, three fitness clubs, two shopping galleries, two public libraries, two post offices, three parks, countless shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs, and a metro station.

I knew you were a lawyer but...damn you sound rich.
Well, my flat is smallish (one small bedroom, one living room, small bathroom and kitchen) but it is quite cozy and comfortable, and has a great location. I was lucky enough to buy it unfurnished and in a bad need of a renovation (some old lady used to live there before, and when she died her children - who lived in a different city - sold the place) before the real estate bubble began to grow, so I pretty much got a 500-600% return on my investment (probably a little less now as the bubble has burst and the prices started to fall again).

saskganesh

83. my place in my last city was 78.

incomplete addressing of googlemap noted. it should be higher...except the LCBO would remain a mile away in any case.
humans were created in their own image

BuddhaRhubarb

:w00t: but I knew this:  Walk Score:  91 out of 100 —  Walkers' Paradise

Hilarious though, my store is listed as a cinema. :huh:
:p

saskganesh

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 16, 2009, 12:36:02 PM
:w00t: but I knew this:  Walk Score:  91 out of 100 —  Walkers' Paradise

Hilarious though, my store is listed as a cinema. :huh:

cheater :P
humans were created in their own image

BuddhaRhubarb

well it's a big part of why I don't drive. I don't need to. Never have the whole time I've lived in Vancouver. other hoods I've lived in are almost as "walkable"
:p

jimmy olsen

Got a 55. Seems low, the neighborhood is very walkable. Bars, churches, a pharmacy, restaurants, liquor stores, supermarkets, a baseball field, police station, two elementary schools, a middle school, and a library all within a mile and a half, and most of that's with .75 miles.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point