News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Walk Score

Started by Malthus, May 15, 2009, 02:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2009, 03:14:56 PM
Walk Score:  87 out of 100 —  Very Walkable.

It's too low.  The one that's dragging me down is the park.  They name one 1.5 miles away when there's actually one .5 miles away that's far nicer.  They're also over-estimating the chemists and the coffee shops which are both closer than they're guessing.

87 out of 100 isn't low ...  :unsure:

I'm not sure if anywhere would get a perfect 100%, unless you lived inside a library/coffee shop attached to a public park.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
The residential area is very nice, but the attempt to create the attendant town was a total failure, so there is just some houses and a golf course out here.
I could never live in a neighborhood with an attached golf course.  My golf nickname is Divot.  Also, miniature golf sends me into histrionic temper tantrums involving club throwing and tears.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:09:08 PM
Plus, why walk when you can ride like kings? We are the princes of the universe after all.

DUI?

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
55 out of 100 —  Somewhat Walkable

Some of the places considered walkable are pedestrian deathtraps.  :lol:
You're poorer than I was led to believe.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 03:19:54 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
55 out of 100 —  Somewhat Walkable

Some of the places considered walkable are pedestrian deathtraps.  :lol:
You're poorer than I was led to believe.

?

You might want to get your retard vision corrected.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 03:18:57 PM
Sorry, I meant that it's lower than it should be because there are actually equivalent amenities that are a lot closer than the ones they list.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

I live in a failed suburban town.

The residential area is very nice, but the attempt to create the attendant town was a total failure, so there is just some houses and a golf course out here.

I see - a score of "2" suggests to my imagination a house located in the Alberta badlands, with BB as a neighbour 20 miles away.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2009, 03:02:59 PM
82 out of 100 — Very Walkable  :)

Hey, you live near Detroit. That sould be an automatic -100.  :D

Actually I took a look at the center of the city; One Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI and it is:

32 out of 100 — Car-Dependent

And it's that high only because they're counting amenities in Windsor, Canada; which is inaccesible to foot traffic.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
?

Walking is for poors.  Patricians such as myself are carted around on litters or chariots.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 03:21:51 PM
I live in a failed suburban town.

I see - a score of "2" suggests to my imagination a house located in the Alberta badlands, with BB as a neighbour 20 miles away.  ;)

Whitehorse is surprisingly walkable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2009, 03:21:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 03:18:57 PM
Sorry, I meant that it's lower than it should be because there are actually equivalent amenities that are a lot closer than the ones they list.

Makes sense, the Google tool is certainly not infallible, though again 87 is a damn high score nonetheless.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
?

Walking is for poors.  Patricians such as myself are carted around on litters or chariots.

Hmmm, so having a drug store, ice cream shop, and pizza parlors within a mile in a small town makes me poor.

To repeat,
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: Savonarola link=topic=873.msg38953#msg38953And it's that high only because they're counting amenities in Windsor, Canada; which is inaccesible to foot traffic.

Mine is something like 55...but there are amenities listed as 1 mile away that are 1 mile as the crow flies / 2.5 by foot traffic or more.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 03:24:13 PM
Hmmm, so having a drug store, ice cream shop, and pizza parlors within a mile in a small town makes me poor.

To repeat,

Drugs are sold by Mexicans (poors).  Ice cream is made by hippies (either poors or pretending to be poors).  Pizza = Italians (poors).  Living by poors equals being poor, since we make poors live in poor neighborhoods.  My point is TEH STAND.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2009, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2009, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2009, 03:02:59 PM
82 out of 100 — Very Walkable  :)

Hey, you live near Detroit. That sould be an automatic -100.  :D

Actually I took a look at the center of the city; One Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI and it is:

32 out of 100 — Car-Dependent

And it's that high only because they're counting amenities in Windsor, Canada; which is inaccesible to foot traffic.

:pinchL