Neanderthals eaten by Syt's ancestors?

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 18, 2009, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2009, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 19, 2009, 08:09:25 AM
Stone age ethnic cleansing?

Come on, impossible.
Primitive people lived atuned with nature.
They protected their enviroment and loved each other.

Next, they are going to acusse the native-americans of waging war and cleansing smaller tribes.
Outrageous.
Noone could compare to ancient Hebrews when it comes to ethnic cleansing.

Shut your trap before I cleanse you with my dick.

You know back then everybody fought that way.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on May 19, 2009, 04:37:57 PM
Shut your trap before I cleanse you with my dick.
You know, I'm pretty sure he'd like that.

If you want to scare him, you'd better be using something like that:
http://airworksinflatables.com/Images/images_1/Projects_images/performance_images/kut_kast/pussy1.jpg
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2009, 04:22:34 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 18, 2009, 10:33:45 PM
I still don't really understand how a species as advanced and resourceful as the Neanderthals somehow couldn't avoid complete extermination. OK, so they're not as smart as humans, and could be outcompeted; nevertheless the world is a big place, I can't imagine how it could have got to the point where no Neanderthal community of any size could survive anywhere.
Who said they were exterminated completely? Hell, one of them has even become the governor of California.

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2009, 04:17:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 12:35:27 PM
Though the part you quoted refers to "Algonquian tribes". That's exactly the sense I'm using the word - as a description for a group of people. It is not correct that the name refers only to the language, or at least, that is not how it is actually used.

Here is the tribal website (the modern area is a wonderful thing):

http://www.kipawa.com/1nation.htm

Note that they describe *themselves* as "Algonquin":

http://www.kipawa.com/algonqui.htm

I've never heard anyone refer to them as anything but some variant of "Algonquin".
ah, see, it is a common mistake :)
Algonquin= an indian tribe.
AlgonquiAn = a group of indian sharing a similar language, including the Algonkin (or Algonquin).

I checked were Kipawa was, and since it's not what I actually call Northern Quebec, an Algonkin tribe makes senses.  And it's not Northern Quebec, it's Temiscaming or (Abitibi-Temiscaming).  Rouyn-Noranda and Val D'Or are actually more to the north tant this :P  You city guys always think the north is a few km away from you city, pfft :P

Just teasing you of course :)  It's just that I always thought your family's cottage was closer to Ungava than this, my bad :)

But there's no 'A' to the tribe's name.

EDIT:
I was curious to your comment of individual property of rivers&such, so I looked it up and it seems to pre-date the Europeans arrivals.  Quite interesting :)

Here it is:
The Algonkin were patrilineal with the right to use specific hunting territories being passed from father to son, but some Algonquian tribes used matrilineal descent (traced through the mother) in determining kinship
http://www.tolatsga.org/alg.html

North for me = driving six hours north of Toronto. To get REALLY north, I suppose you would have to drive a couple of days - but that would not really be all that practical in a cottage.  :lol:

Anyway, interesting note on the patrilineal descent of hunting rights; I suspect that this or similar arrangements were more common among "primitive" hunters and gatherers than we realize. What looks to us like untamed primordial wilderness was as well known (and divided by various traditional rights and obligations) to hunter-gatherers as any city block.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 19, 2009, 12:03:10 PM
There's a Neanderthal documentary on youtube that's kinda interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSOcwY79ig&feature=PlayList&p=65A148E0CB433528&index=0&playnext=1

Thanks for the link DP. The H. sapiens on H. Neanderthalis action was especially edifying. :boff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

I liked that show, but the Neanderthals in it all had faces like cheesy Star Trek TOS aliens or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

I would just like to point out that Iroquois ate Algonquins. or the tasty, magical, organs parts at least.

today they sell me cigarettes. there's a definite connection. gotta be. :grope:
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 08:56:34 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 19, 2009, 08:45:44 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 08:25:59 AM
My own opinion is that the extinction was a very gradual process, rather than some violent campaign of "ethnic [or species] cleansing".

Agreed that it was probably gradual, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't violent or without cleansing.

The Neanderthals were shorter but probably much more physically stronger than humans. I wouldn't be surprised if every single encounter between the two was a violent one, due to the human intrinsical mistrust of strangers, let alone a clearly diferent species.

Also, the Neanderthals probably stole and raped a lot of human females. They were obviosly prettier and taller than their own ugly women.

When you look at the diferences between humans and neanderthals, I think there is a lot of potential for "violence-on-sight".

Heh, different species may have different notions of beauty. You don't find gorillas raping humans much.  :lol:

KONG. :P
humans were created in their own image