News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question about eating meals at work

Started by Martim Silva, November 08, 2012, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but unless there's additional tax implications involved or something, then from the employer's standpoint, a "meal allowance" is pretty much just part of the salary you're paid.  Both are simply cash he pays out.

So if your salary would be 50,000 without a meal allowance, presumably he'll just pay you slightly less and then include the meal bonus as part of the salary, so that it adds up to 50,000 anyway.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2012, 12:02:56 PM
40 minutes of my clocked time at work is not counted against my contractual work time and meant for lunch.

Oh that is just so preciously European.

I eat at my desk and work while I am doing so, so I can continue to be paid.

I do usually get something to eat. If not, it's a box of cookies or something.  Today it was both. -_-  14 Kroger bakery cookies out of an 18-count box and 2 egg-and-cheese biscuits from Bojangles, which I think may be fried in murder.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

I am not really paid by the hour. I am supposed to work seven hours per day on average, but it doesn't matter whether the month has 18 or 22 workdays. I always get paid the same salary. So it makes no difference whether I eat at my desk or not as that time is not counted anyway.

Josquius

I'm banned from eating outside. I think I'm probally being a bit naughty by going out to buy it most days even.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

By the way, when you travel for work, you can only claim expenses for meals you'd normally eat at home, i.e. breakfast and dinner. The place I currently work at has a top limit of £12 a day  :glare:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 08, 2012, 06:44:39 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but unless there's additional tax implications involved or something, then from the employer's standpoint, a "meal allowance" is pretty much just part of the salary you're paid.  Both are simply cash he pays out.

So if your salary would be 50,000 without a meal allowance, presumably he'll just pay you slightly less and then include the meal bonus as part of the salary, so that it adds up to 50,000 anyway.

Correct.  But the system sure sucks from a tax payors point of view since that meal allowance is not a taxable benefit.  It also sucks from the point of view of someone who is not employed. Its seems a bit silly to subsidize the food of those who are employed.  My guess is Portugual has an overly strong restaruant lobby.

Mind you in Canada its not much better given that "business lunches get a tax deduction (although that has been cut) whereas my secretary never gets to take advantage of such a deduction.

Brazen

To be fair, the places I've worked that did have canteens tended to be subsidised so it was a bit cheaper than going out.

I had a great lunch deal when I worked for Big Oil. You ordered a packed lunch by 10.30, and by 12 it would turn up in the fridge made to order in a brown bag with your name. You could choose from a sandwich or roll with the filling of your choice with weekly specials, a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps or an apple. 

The first place I worked had a subsidised on-site bar.

11B4V

Quote from: Brazen on November 09, 2012, 11:28:47 AM

I had a great lunch deal when I worked for Big Oil. You ordered a packed lunch by 10.30, and by 12 it would turn up in the fridge made to order in a brown bag with your name.

That's kinda cool there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on November 09, 2012, 11:28:47 AM
To be fair, the places I've worked that did have canteens tended to be subsidised so it was a bit cheaper than going out.

I had a great lunch deal when I worked for Big Oil. You ordered a packed lunch by 10.30, and by 12 it would turn up in the fridge made to order in a brown bag with your name. You could choose from a sandwich or roll with the filling of your choice with weekly specials, a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps or an apple. 

The first place I worked had a subsidised on-site bar.

all good things for an employer to do for their employees.  All bad things for tax payors to have to subsidize directly or for governments to mandate for all employers.

The Brain

I eat wherever the fuck I want to. I get to do that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2012, 01:42:56 PM
And you don't need a microwave to nuke your lunch.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2012, 02:02:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2012, 01:42:56 PM
And you don't need a microwave to nuke your lunch.

I like to taste the gamma.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on November 09, 2012, 06:11:33 AM
By the way, when you travel for work, you can only claim expenses for meals you'd normally eat at home, i.e. breakfast and dinner. The place I currently work at has a top limit of £12 a day  :glare:

<_<?
Thats loads.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2012, 11:38:15 PM
Quote from: Brazen on November 09, 2012, 06:11:33 AM

<_<?
Thats loads.

No that isn't. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

For a day's food? Yes it is, more than enough, can eat pretty well on that.
██████
██████
██████