News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question about eating meals at work

Started by Martim Silva, November 08, 2012, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on November 08, 2012, 01:02:41 PM
The only thing that would look weird about eating at the workplace (I've done it frequently) would be doing it on your own if your workmates are in the same schedule.
Actually the most likely case when I'll not go to the restaurant is when none of my team members is around. I never go there alone and would then just grab a sandwich and eat it at my desk.

Iormlund

What I meant is that it would look weird to spend alone the lunch break at your desk instead of eating your bocata with the guys somewhere else in the building. Unless you are on a deadline or something, of course.

The Larch

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 08, 2012, 12:18:46 PM
I'm actually surprised... the general idea is that, since you have to work through the day, the company is forcing you to eat away from home. So they have to compensate the workers for it.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2012, 12:03:19 PM
They work, like, 3 hours a day over there, and I'm sure their lunch siesta is about 3 hours long or something.  Meal allowance must be from the government.

The spaniards do the Siesta (two hours per day). We don't do that since the 60s.

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2012, 12:01:13 PM
Probably just setting us up for him to tell us how uncivilized and uncouth we all are since we don't do as his nation does.  :pope:

It's hardly my nation... Spain does it too, and they get paid on average twice the amount the portuguese to eat at restaurants.

These are our lowest amounts for 2012 (most people get more):

http://www.online24.pt/valor-do-subsidio-de-alimentacao-em-2012/

The "two hour meal break at a restaurant outside the office" is, in my experience, a dying fashion, and is only kept at extremely old fashion workplaces. Standard office time still keeps that two hour break, which is extremely retarded IMO. More progressive workplaces have break rooms with a microwave and a fridge for employees to have lunch at. We still have our differences with the anglos and instead of sandwiches people normally bring a tupperware with a real meal, or leftovers from dinner, or something like that. Some people still do the "go back home for lunch and then back to the office" thingie, but IMO that's extremely retarded unless you work really close to home. That's only realistic in smaller cities, though.

Some companies do give their employees food voucheurs for them to eat out in nearby places, which might be similar to the food allowance thingie, but it's not at all mandatory, and it's actually convenient to the companies because it allows them to throw a perk to employees that doesn't count towards payroll taxes instead of a better salary.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
The "two hour meal break at a restaurant outside the office" is, in my experience, a dying fashion, and is only kept at extremely old fashion workplaces. Standard office time still keeps that two hour break, which is extremely retarded IMO. More progressive workplaces have break rooms with a microwave and a fridge for employees to have lunch at. We still have our differences with the anglos and instead of sandwiches people normally bring a tupperware with a real meal, or leftovers from dinner, or something like that. Some people still do the "go back home for lunch and then back to the office" thingie, but IMO that's extremely retarded unless you work really close to home. That's only realistic in smaller cities, though.

Some companies do give their employees food voucheurs for them to eat out in nearby places, which might be similar to the food allowance thingie, but it's not at all mandatory, and it's actually convenient to the companies because it allows them to throw a perk to employees that doesn't count towards payroll taxes instead of a better salary.

The bolded part is almost exactly the same as here. I rarely have a sandwich, mostly because I don't care for them. I usually have leftovers - or I'll make a batch of different foods on Sunday to box up and take for lunch during the week.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

If I would get a food voucher (or company car/telephone/etc. for private use) that can be construed as a financial advantage, I have to pay income tax and social security on that.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
If I would get a food voucher (or company car/telephone/etc. for private use) that can be construed as a financial advantage, I have to pay income tax and social security on that.

What I was told is that for companies it was more convenient for them to give food voucheurs to employees instead of an equivalent salary raise because of payroll taxes, but I don't know exactly what kind of taxes they'd have to pay for the voucheurs.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2012, 01:19:52 PM

What I was told is that for companies it was more convenient for them to give food voucheurs to employees instead of an equivalent salary raise because of payroll taxes, but I don't know exactly what kind of taxes they'd have to pay for the voucheurs.

In the US, that would be considered a "perk" and not included in the regular employee taxes. The employee would be expected to claim it as part of their income when they file their income taxes, though, and would be taxed on it.

At least, that's how I understood it when I did the taxes for the Coffee Lady.

Iormlund

Seeing how gas is exempt from some taxes (up to 19 cents per km IIRC) I guess it is quite likely food vouchers are the same.

Syt

In Austria, there's a maximum that the employer could give to their employees tax free. As said, it was 4.40 for us.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2012, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2012, 01:19:52 PM

In the US, that would be considered a "perk" and not included in the regular employee taxes. The employee would be expected to claim it as part of their income when they file their income taxes, though, and would be taxed on it.

At least, that's how I understood it when I did the taxes for the Coffee Lady.

Payment for expenses is most definitely not taxable in Canada.  Back when I had to do circuit court all the time it was a nice little perk because I'd get, whatever, $10-$12 for lunch but brown-bag it so I could just pocket that money.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Except when stuck in a meeting, I always try to have a normal meal (hot dish, a salad etc.) for lunch. I try to go out to one of a nearby restaurants but when I am busy or the weather is awful I order in. It's never just a sandwich if I can help it.

Barrister

I don't get the sandwich hate.  I love a good sandwich.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2012, 01:49:24 PM

I prefer a hot meal.

lustindarkness

I just had my lunch at my desk (leftovers) while I read how all you other 'tards eat lunch.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2012, 01:49:24 PM
I have a sandwich for breakfast, so I prefer not to have one for lunch.