News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Grand Election Thread

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 08:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2012, 01:01:47 AM
I don't get the thing about Libya either.  I asked about it on here and I still don't understand what the criticism is.

QuoteIt is just hilarious if they really believe they would have had a better chance with Santorum or Newt as the candidate.
In fairness they seem to think Romney was the best choice but that he was, as Krauthammer put it, 'a North-Eastern liberal...I mean moderate.'

Edit:  A Brit journo's just pointed out how red-eyed Mitt looks.  Crying or dog tired.  After 6 years of running for President this must be an agonising speech to give :(
Oh i know Shelf, but calls to be more conservative seem to be misguided. Hell i'm more shocked to see the amount of states voting for giving homos the right to vote and legalizing pot, and as long as the GOP keeps on with their current stance on immigration as it kills their chance with Latinos who may support them on other aspects.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

I agree.  Gay marriage is an issue they should just move on from, have a pact of silence rather than a party line.  But even moving on immigration doesn't matter if the Republicans don't develop policies that middle class people think could help them.  You could call it something like, say, 'compassionate conservatism'.

Trump's meltdown gloriously continues:
'Lets fight like hell & stop this great disgusting injustice! World is laughing at us.'

Edit:  I suppose I think the problem with Hispanics is about more than immigration.  It's about economic policy (or the lack of one), healthcare policy (or the lack of one) and the tone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

:lol:  Rich Lowry said the figure that mattered tonight wasn't the Electoral College, or the popular vote but the President's approval ratings in the exit polls.  Apparently it was 54%.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

On the other hand this consensus on Fox News about immigration is good.  Could get immigration reform passed soon?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Austrian commentator said that Romney lost the election because the Republican party has so far failed to acknowledge the demographic change in the U.S., driving blacks, hispanics and young voters to the Democrats, and because the Republicans alienated women voters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Ever since the 2004 election, media over here seem to be obsessed with the U.S. presidizzle elections. We get coverage of the primaries, of the conventions, debates and everything. Granted, not as obnoxious as in the U.S., but in the past weeks the election was front page material over here - which is kinda silly, because the influence on people over here will be marginal at best. Even worse are people who root for Obama and cheer him like a sports star.

In 2004, I saw a white Austrian woman and her friend on the subway:
- "We partied all night, because we finally got into the White House! It's such a huge step for us!"
- "I thought your husband is from Nigeria?"
- "This is not about nations!"

I admit the U.S. elections make for better TV than German or Austrian elections, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2012, 01:25:26 AM
Austrian commentator said that Romney lost the election because the Republican party has so far failed to acknowledge the demographic change in the U.S., driving blacks, hispanics and young voters to the Democrats, and because the Republicans alienated women voters.

Seems to be the general narrative over here, too.  They've been going particularly nuts over the hispanic disenfranchisement.
Experience bij!

Queequeg

Celebrated at a bar.  Relief runs in waves.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2012, 01:36:00 AM
I admit the U.S. elections make for better TV than German or Austrian elections, though.

I can't speak for Austria or Germany, but I find UK / Canadian election nights are far more entertaining than US elections...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

This is an alright speech.  I had hoped Obama was going to say 'right.  Sharia...' :(
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Mitt Romney will now fade into history like his father. With no office, I see no reason why he should ever show up in national circles or stages ever again. Romney should go to bed bitterly disappointed at failing his father, his legacy, and the Mormon people. Knowing his narrative, I say this from his perspective, not from my personal views. :D

Hopefully, Romney spends his last years giving away all his hundreds of millions of dollars to charity and community. If he instead chooses to continue the circle, then expect one of the five Romney sons to run for political office in the future...

katmai

If he had only touted that Mexican heritage eh Phil?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Phillip V

Quote from: katmai on November 07, 2012, 02:25:16 AM
If he had only touted that Mexican heritage eh Phil?
Correct. One of his biggest campaign failures.