Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2012, 04:37:17 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 04:35:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 01:52:45 PM
Can't believe no one called me on this.
:yeahright:

I like his timing. :D

I'll admit that I looked up Crete (as I was like that's not the island I know has issues), saw nothing and went meh. -_-

I was taking a nap.  I saw it, wondered if he confused Crete with Cyprus and saw that owned up to his mistake later on in the the thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2012, 11:55:47 AM
Catalonia's independence had always scored 30-35% in the polls until it soared to 50% with the financial crisis, so you have a point there. However, 35% baseline has always looked like a lot to me.

And I'm not sure you can put down Scotland in that category.
Scottish independence always gets around 30-35% in the polls too.  People shouldn't confuse a vote for the SNP for a vote for independence.  The Tories and Lib Dems are dead in Scotland (personally I think they should therefore stop trying to be national parties of government and instead accept their fringe status and be a bit more rigorous and radical) so the SNP are the non-Labour option.

But you're right there is a difference.  Though I think in the UK it's the lack of fiscal independence not the relative wealth of the regions that matters.  We're a very fiscally centralised country.  Councils and even the national governments don't have the sort of debt they'd have in a regional system like Spain and Italy or a Federal system like the US or Germany.  I personally think Scotland should be given fiscal independence within the UK (devolution-max) but at the minute they're allowed to vary taxes by, I think, 1-2%.  Aside from that they control how to spend their budget but that's still, I believe, calculated in London.

But people have a misconception about Scotland.  It's not significantly poorer than the rest of the UK, though parts of it are.  If you strip out oil and gas Scotland is, per capita about £1 000 poorer than the South East of England - which is the second richest part of the UK (after London).  It's richer than ever other region of England, than Wales or than Northern Ireland.  Measuring the nations gives a misleading picture because of how dominant and how much richer London is.  I think with the same statistics London's about £15 000 richer than Scotland.  Also, again with the exception of London, Scotland's grown faster over the past 10-15 years than any other part of the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

Lettow77

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2012, 12:38:58 PM
I want to know whether they will retake Crete

Crucially, attempts to colonize Crete today would be much more successful. The republic, sending a full 1 in 10 of its sons to settle the island, with the island being divided into six districts named after districts of the serene lagoon city itself, and colonists from each principal district settling the appropriate part of Crete, spared little expense to civilize the island and make it lastingly Venetian.

They made a massive and commendable effort to bring civilization to Crete, but were weighed down by the fact that, from the beginning, Crete outnumbered Venice's citizens by something like 5:1. Today, Veneto itself enjoys almost a tenfold advantage on the comparatively sparsely populated Crete, which has languished in the stewardship of various disinterested and incapable rulers. Demographics now smile favourably on the project to civilize and uplift the island, which would swiftly become a lustrous gem of Serenìsima Repùblica Vèneta far greater than ever before.

How exciting to contemplate! Perhaps Golden Dawn will part with the island in exchange for funding to redeem territory presently despoiled by Slavic pretenders to Alexander's legacy and Turkish interlopers. :wub:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ed Anger

What happened to your magic space ark full of Frenchmen and nigger bots to take care of them?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

:huh: Of course, Venice is more than adequately represented in space by its sister city on Mars, which excels even its predecessor.

Nor could one lightly forget the union between the French and Venice so lastingly established when Enrico Dandolo referred to the French as "the greatest nation in existence" and the flower of French chivalry, in turn, commented with wonder on the splendour of the most Serene republic that seemed to exist on the very aether, without any meaningful connection to the land of readily apparent source of opulence.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2012, 08:06:01 AM
QuoteIt may sound crazy but I think Veneto will become independent before Scotland or Catalonia.

That makes sense to me. Unlike those others, Venice's glory days were spent as an independent entity.
Yeah, it's sort of sad how the little city-state that could has now become a semi-living museum of a dysfunctional country.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 01:08:23 PM

Imagine how many "bribes" they'll give natives when every reserve turns into an Ipperwash or an Akwesasne.

There will be no reserves once we're out of Canada.  They'll be dismantled.  One law for everyone - no strings attached.  And if they resist... well they shall need to be disciplined shan't they?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on November 06, 2012, 07:30:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 01:08:23 PM

Imagine how many "bribes" they'll give natives when every reserve turns into an Ipperwash or an Akwesasne.

There will be no reserves once we're out of Canada.  They'll be dismantled.  One law for everyone - no strings attached.  And if they resist... well they shall need to be disciplined shan't they?

G.

Again - the last couple years showed that Quebec voters have little stomach for the kind of "discipline" you seem to favour.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Venice doesn't have a navy, and so can't colonize anything.  Even if Italians had national spirit (and they don't), that can't help them without a navy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 08:45:16 PM

Again - the last couple years showed that Quebec voters have little stomach for the kind of "discipline" you seem to favour.

They too lack discipline.  When someone is contemplating suicide it's everyone's duty to prevent it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Lettow77

Fear not, everyone! I fixed Europe!

Naturally the Holy League of France, Southern Germany and Poland will be central to containing German ambitions.

Additional successes include the repulsion of Christ's most fearsome enemies from Europe, and a balkan order that should keep the slavs in check.

Habbaku

Cornwall as part of a Gaelic country?   :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2012, 10:09:56 PM
Cornwall as part of a Gaelic country?   :lol:

Not as weird as including Portugal.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!