Rising demands for Venetian Independence

Started by Lettow77, November 06, 2012, 04:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 06, 2012, 06:04:07 AM
These "independence movements" are just a roundabout way to try to dump their debt and escape. It's like rats running from a burning building.
It's the rich regions that have secession movements. It's Catalonia and Veneto, not Andalucia and Sicily. This looks more like anger at bailing out their fellow countrymen and having to suffer to pay for it. I do wonder if there's a few countries with less national solidarity than the Germans have European solidarity.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

And the magic of the EU makes it all possible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2012, 11:27:38 AM
These "independence movements" are just a roundabout way to try to dump their debt and escape. It's like rats running from a burning building.
It's the rich regions that have secession movements. It's Catalonia and Veneto, not Andalucia and Sicily. This looks more like anger at bailing out their fellow countrymen and having to suffer to pay for it. I do wonder if there's a few countries with less national solidarity than the Germans have European solidarity.

Doesn't explain Quebec independence though.  Nor Scottish independence. :hmm:

and

Quote from: celedhring
Only morons would give up the chance of calling themselves "Serenissima Repubblica"

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 11:34:02 AM
Doesn't explain Quebec independence though.  Nor Scottish independence. :hmm:

Those are just unresolved Daddy issues.

Eddie Teach

Quebec independence makes a lot more sense, you folks have let them keep a separate culture all along.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2012, 11:27:38 AM

Catalonia's independence had always scored 30-35% in the polls until it soared to 50% with the financial crisis, so you have a point there. However, 35% baseline has always looked like a lot to me.

And I'm not sure you can put down Scotland in that category.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2012, 11:37:46 AM
Quebec independence makes a lot more sense, you folks have let them keep a separate culture all along.

Concur.

And it does explain Quebec, BB.  It's the wealthiest part of Canada.  Without it, the rest of Canada is just a big fucking national park.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2012, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2012, 11:37:46 AM

Concur.

And it does explain Quebec, BB.  It's the wealthiest part of Canada.  Without it, the rest of Canada is just a big fucking national park.

:rolleyes:

http://www.zurich-base-line.com/cn_gdp_pc_nation_data.html

Solmyr

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2012, 09:48:45 AM
Will they seize the Dalmatian coast? Will they be ready for the Aztec onslaught?

More importantly, will they loot Istanbul?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on November 06, 2012, 12:35:48 PM
Will they seize the Dalmatian coast? Will they be ready for the Aztec onslaught?

I want to know whether they will retake Crete

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 12:20:23 PM

Per Capita.  Pfft.  Don't gimme that, that's a shoddy statistic to use, particularly with less people in the Northwest Territories than the capacity of the SkyDome, compared to 7.9M Quebecois. 
1 OUT OF 1 ARE CAT OWNERS IN MY CONDO SO I WIN

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2012, 12:38:58 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 06, 2012, 12:35:48 PM

I want to know whether they will retake Crete

That would be an ingenious solution to the political impasse on Crete...

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2012, 12:41:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2012, 12:20:23 PM

Per Capita.  Pfft.  Don't gimme that, that's a shoddy statistic to use, particularly with less people in the Northwest Territories than the capacity of the SkyDome, compared to 7.9M Quebecois. 
1 OUT OF 1 ARE CAT OWNERS IN MY CONDO SO I WIN

SkyDome's dead man.  Now it's the Rogers Centre.

CountDeMoney