News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elite: Dangerous

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Anyone playing? I have bought Horizons and returned. Missions make it more fun and factions more meaningful.

I have found a small system with 1.6 million inhabitants and a single coriolis station, under rule of communits. Decided to try and help a corporate faction from a neighbouring system take the system over. Will see how that goes. If somebody wants to help I'll PM details :P

I have just bough a Cobra MK3. I am undecided between gearing up for mining, or just concentrating on missions until I have enough money to do an exploration build and go charting stuff.

The Brain

Haven't played since before Horizons. Worth playing now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I should get back into it.  A year ago when I built my new computer I realized that all of my joystick inputs were messed up and I never bothered to fix them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2016, 05:35:46 PM
Haven't played since before Horizons. Worth playing now?

Much better than it was, the different system factions, the missions (now with passengers!) very much help in creating context. But like with all other Elite games, you must still create that context for yourself. But at least it now integrates more with events in the game world.

Zoupa

Not really worth it IMO. Still not a game but a big ass simulation. A mile wide and an inch deep.

Tamas

Explanation of the faction system:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/193064-A-Guide-to-Minor-Factions-and-the-Background-Sim

Zoupa, the game has at least 5 times as much content as the last Elite I played (Elite 2). I guess we have just grown old and we have a harder time using our imagination to fill the gaps.

But right now I am having fun, playing it as a kind of relaxation game you'd do with Euro Truck Simulator, and marvelling at the sights the game can generate.

Arvoreen

I'm still playing too...and I like it. Especially the choice you get to either play solo, private group, or open world...depending how much you want to interact with other real people :D

I also like the community goals.  I took part in the recent exploration one and it was a great excuse to travel around and check out the sights.

Tamas

I mean, look at this, it's supposed to be a screenshot made by a guy on Reddit:

Which reminds me, how can I have an outside view of my ship? :P

MadBurgerMaker

There's an external camera, but it kinda sucks.  Uses flight controls to move it around and you can't control your ship while it's on.  Key binding is Ctrl + Alt + Space, but I'm fairly sure you can change that by looking for "classified camera" in the controls list.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on December 09, 2016, 05:54:40 AM
Explanation of the faction system:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/193064-A-Guide-to-Minor-Factions-and-the-Background-Sim

Zoupa, the game has at least 5 times as much content as the last Elite I played (Elite 2). I guess we have just grown old and we have a harder time using our imagination to fill the gaps.

But right now I am having fun, playing it as a kind of relaxation game you'd do with Euro Truck Simulator, and marvelling at the sights the game can generate.
The new content is a available only with Horizons, or is it available as a free patch/upgrade to all users?
I left the game some time ago because I felt it was shallow, and did not pay attention to the following developments, but I could give it another spin.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Arvoreen

If you want to land on a planet, you need Horizons.  Not 100% sure if anything else is restricted.

Tamas

Iirc you get the faction thingie and missions without Horizons

Tamas

Operation Kick The Commies Out is progressing nicely, my chosen corporate faction is almost at parity with the ruling communists. Unfortunately from next week I will be away from the game 'til January so I almost certain I won't have the opportunity to try and influence the civil war I am about to trigger :P

I'll post the name of the system later so responsible people here can take up the mantle and fight the good fight.

Last night I had my first passenger mission. One potential good thing I saw in them was to help with doing sightseeing myself. I was taking some blokes about 60 light years away, what turned out to be a fairly lonely gigantic water planet. And I got to see some interesting red (more like brown) dwarf stars on my journey.

One of the passengers missions from my chosen faction-to-support at the time was a sightseeing trip to a black hole some 1100 light years away. That sounded fascinating :D Alas, I was not acceptable for it. Would not have taken it anyways, with my 13 light years per jump Cobra.

Arvoreen

That's awesome!  I haven't managed to find where I can buy a passenger pod yet...but that could be related to the fact I'm flying an Imperial Eagle right now, with I think 0 cargo space at the moment :D

If you post that system name, I think I might try to head over there and help push out the commies :)

Razgovory

Is it weird that if you turn off your engine you space ship stops?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017