Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

PLEDGE NOW. PLEDGE BIG. ME WANTS IT

If only... I spent some totally unhealthy amount of time on Frontiers

Razgovory

I don't have any pounds.  Sorry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

As someone said on RPS:

Quote"Hey, remember Elite? So do we! Please give us two million dollars."

I will wait till they substantiate their plans a bit more before I back this, though the temptation is great.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

seems like this isn't going to happen...

squadron 42/starcitizen on the other hand. They're close to 5.5 million. Insane

Josquius

given how they've failed to produce elite 4 despite promise after promise I have a feeling this is a kickstarter project which despite collecting its funding will fail.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 19, 2012, 04:44:49 AM

Final tally over 6.2 million.

Tamas

Still 750 000 pounds to go. Step it up!  :mad:

Valmy

The quality of their game looks AAA like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Cecil on November 19, 2012, 02:11:25 PM

Final tally over 6.2 million.

and it can -will- still rise given the upgrade and other funding-after-the-crowdfunding-event-options they're apparently building in.

Syt

Meanwhile, Limit Theory has met its funding goal: of $50,000 with 25 days to go. :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game

In brief, Limit Theory is:

An open-world space simulator / RPG
    A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
    Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
    Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
    Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
    Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
    Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
    Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
    Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
    Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
    Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
    Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2012, 08:53:54 AM
Meanwhile, Limit Theory has met its funding goal: of $50,000 with 25 days to go. :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game

In brief, Limit Theory is:

An open-world space simulator / RPG
    A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
    Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
    Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
    Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
    Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
    Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
    Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
    Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
    Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
    Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
    Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.

I saw the latest demo done by the developer guy. Impressive one man project, but what is there right now that it's not already there in every single space game in existence?

Braben at least created Frontier Elite 2 (yeah I know, not alone), so he has some pretty good insight in how you make an awesome freestyle space game.
Plus they have awesome graphics in their dev diary.

I am going to pledge for Elite 4 and you ought too. It need to pass :P

Syt

Braben's project reminds me a lot of the old game Outpost in the 90s. Lots of promises, concepts and planned features. In the end it was released as a buggy mess with about half the features cut out. And by then giant Sierra, no less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_%28video_game%29

QuoteInitial reviews of Outpost were enthusiastic about the game. Most notoriously, the American version of PC Gamer rated the game at 93%, one of its highest ratings ever for the time. It was later made known that the reviewers had in fact played beta versions of the game, and had been promised certain features would be implemented, but never were.[citation needed]

Indeed, many of the features described in the game's own documentation simply did not exist in the game at all. These included the ability to enter diplomatic relations with the rebel colony and the ability to build roads, among other things. Many of these gameplay aspects were later patched in, though in appearance only, as many of them failed to have any meaningful effect on gameplay.

Following the release of the game, the game's general bugginess and perceived mediocre gameplay, along with the lack of features described in most of the game's reviews and the game's own documentation led to a minor backlash against the computer game magazines of the time by consumers who bought the game based on their reviews.[citation needed]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Certainly, it can end up like that at this stage.

But so do the other "lets do a nostalgia game!" projects.

Valmy

Your dream game got funded Tamas just FYI
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2013, 01:55:15 PM
Your dream game got funded Tamas just FYI