News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voting for President, for the wrong reasons?

Started by Berkut, November 01, 2012, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 08:30:10 PM
It was well-timed, to the point where it seems to have largely gone unnoticed.  Had he gone centrist in the primary he wouldn't have made it through.
Quite that would've been ill-timed.  But my point is really that he never should've stopped being moderate.  I think if he'd always maintained the public persona of a reasonably successful, moderate, bipartisan Republican Governor of a blue state he'd be winning by a landslide.

QuoteYou overestimate the viability of a moderate GOP candidate.  The truth is they don't do too well in the general election these days.  The GOP base is absolutely necessary, and the Democrats and large segments of the media will still paint a moderate GOP candidate as an extreme Republican just by association.  Lose-lose.
The victim card bores me.  I don't like it when it comes up from any group, but from conservatives it's especially tedious.

The last real moderate GOP candidate was W.  He ran as a compassionate conservative, with a record of governing a state, who believed in reforming immigration and, after years of Democrat foreign policy activism and nation-building, in a humble foreign policy.  He won.  Romney's not nearly enough like W in my view.

QuoteYou guys seem to think Palin cost McCain the election in 2008.  It may have lowered McCain's standing in the Languish echo-chamber and outside the US, but McCain would have lost by a larger margin had he chosen a moderate candidate.
I don't think Palin cost McCain the election, but she did lose him votes.  I believe academic studies think she did, which is almost unprecedented for a VP candidate.  Some estimate around 2% and say she's the most negatively consequential VP pick of the century.

Personally I think there was a nastiness in the way Sarah Palin was treated (it reminded me of the Tories against Gordon Brown).  I quite liked her to begin with and I think it's a shame she didn't finish her term, build some credibility on foreign policy and other issues.  Because I think she had the potential to be a superb candidate - she's the dream populist conservative..  Sadly she preferred reality TV to politics.

QuoteI said in the primary that if Huntsman were to win it I'd probably vote third party.  And believe me, I'm not the only one.
Yeah.  But I think you'd all probably have come home as election time neared and many of you would've been replaced by independents and moderates and frustrated Democrats.  The negative consequence of the base being turned off isn't necessarily that they don't vote, it's that they don't help out with the campaign and volunteer on election day etc.  If you don't do that I think a campaign could afford to lose you.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 08:53:33 PM
I bet you had kittens watching Air Force One touch down in New Jersey, too, like your boy Rush did.  CHRISTIE THAT TRAITOR

Nah.  Christie gets leeway.  And I'm sure he'll be with me cheering on a Blue Hen victory Saturday :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 08:54:24 PM
But how many social issues have the actual GOP candidates put out in front?

Exsqueeze me?  Baking Powder?  Did you not pay attention to the primaries, or any primary since 1988?

It's the same routine every cycle:  radical, over-the-top social conservatism during the primaries and their debates, each one trying to out 15th century the other, and then hush-hush right before the nomination, before anybody notices.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on November 01, 2012, 08:45:46 PM
Polls indicate Palin made the race a tie (even small McCain lead), and then the tanking economy in late September / early October caused it to become a Democratic landslide.
She gave him a huge boost.  Her approval ratings (and McCain's) started sliding about a week before the crash.  That looks to have been a catalyst that was then intensified by the economic situation.  As I say, research suggests that she probably cost him votes:
http://bostonreview.net/BR34.5/johnston_thorson.php
http://www.stanford.edu/~elis/Elis%20et%20al%202010%20Dynamics%20of%20Candidate%20Evaluations.pdf
Basically how people perceived Sarah Palin was a bigger indication of how they perceived McCain than is the norm for a VP candidate, and larger than, say, their views on W.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 08:58:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 08:54:24 PM
But how many social issues have the actual GOP candidates put out in front?

Exsqueeze me?  Baking Powder?  Did you not pay attention to the primaries, or any primary since 1988?

It's the same routine every cycle:  radical, over-the-top social conservatism during the primaries and their debates, each one trying to out 15th century the other, and then hush-hush right before the nomination, before anybody notices.

Well, I was talking about the general election.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

It depends on the social issue.  I think the GOP's on the wrong side on the gays and immigration.  But I think their position on abortion (though it seems to be getting more extreme) as a litmus test makes sense - same for the Dems.  Ultimately it's an issue that can only be resolved by judges who can only be appointed by the President.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Polls indicate Palin made the race a tie (even small McCain lead), and then the tanking economy in late September / early October caused it to become a Democratic landslide.
Looks like his support cratered after Couric (Katie Couric! :lol: ) eviscerated her and everyone realized McCain was one heart beat from an imbecile taking office.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2012, 09:01:43 PM

Basically how people perceived Sarah Palin was a bigger indication of how they perceived McCain than is the norm for a VP candidate, and larger than, say, their views on W.
What does that mean? I fucking love McCain, literally my favorite politician of the last 20 years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2012, 09:35:21 PMWhat does that mean? I fucking love McCain, literally my favorite politician of the last 20 years.
There's a link there <_< :P

Basically a person's view of different figures influenced which way they chose to vote.  The normal people who influence that are the candidates.  Bush grew less important.  How VP candidates are perceived doesn't normally matter a great deal, and it didn't with Biden - with Palin it did.  How people viewed Palin was, unusually, an indicator of whether they approved of the McCain campaign and would vote for him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2012, 09:33:12 PM

Looks like his support cratered after Couric (Katie Couric! :lol: ) eviscerated her and everyone realized McCain was one heart beat from an imbecile taking office.

She hardly "eviscerated", Palin.  It was a softball interview.  "What do you read?", is not exactly a difficult question to answer.  It's not a question you are suppose to get wrong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

It's not a question you're supposed to ask. Which is why it threw her off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 01, 2012, 09:41:29 PM
If you're a national politician it shouldn't throw you off and you shouldn't reply 'most of them' :lol:

I don't think it's that odd a question for a so far little known governor two years into her term who's been picked as VP:
QuoteCOURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?
PALIN: I've read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media, coming f—
COURIC: But like which ones specifically? I'm curious that you—
PALIN: Um, all of 'em, any of 'em that, um, have, have been in front of me over all these years. Um, I have a va—
COURIC: Can you name a few?
PALIN: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where, it's kind of suggested and it seems like, 'Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C. may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 01, 2012, 09:41:29 PM

Every politician should be ready for it since Bush's ambush on current events in '99.

Jaron

I'm voting for Obama because he hangs out with JayZ and Beyonce.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

Berk, if you ever get a chance to vote for president for the "right" reasons, I'll be shocked.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers