News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your Hallowe'en plans tonight?

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Gave out candy.  Ran out of candy.  Noticed that most kids are driven door to door  rather then walked.  I don't mind parents keeping an eye on them, but that's a little much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2012, 03:56:24 PM
But apparently Timmy, when asked, doesn't want to go out trick or treating, or at lest doesn't want to wear his elephant costume. :(

I bet he'll change his mind when the first kids come by.

Cripes - we had a major toddler meltdown at first.  Didn't want to go outside, didn't want to put on his costume, but did want candy.  "Candy!".

After awhile we did manage to convince him to just go outside - and that he had to wear the jack-o-lantern cosrtume (it was meant for his baby brother, but it was easier to put on him).

Then of course, predictably, he had a blast.  He only made it to 3 houses (it's -7C) but got lots of candy and still looked cute as a bug.

Then he happily gave out candy the rest of the night.  As other kids would come to the door he'd drop one single piece of candy in their bags (we'd then drop a handful in) and would say "happy halloween" or "treat or treat" to everyone.

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Lettow77

Gave out candy to a large amount of kids. Had three bowls of candy, for kids to be given quality in accordance with the excellence of their outfits. The lowest bowl was just for show though, so even kids with relatively meh outfits could feel like they were doing somewhat well.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

Went to a local nerd bar with some friends.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

We handed out candy. Last year we ran out and probably had 100 kids or something (had to run to the store to resupply). This year we had too much candy and only got about 50, due to the torrential downpour.

Only one uncostumed teenager, everyone else at least made a token effort or better. We had two different toddlers walk straight into our house in spite of the howling canine. We also had one adultish person who showed up on his own, but he was in a pretty sweet zombie outfit with makeup and everything and acted like a zombie so he got candy too.

Never thought about the different grades of candy to hand out. Next year that's what we'll do.

katmai

Habbaku

When a man and a woman love each other very, very much, they will occasionally have a kid that will never feel the touch of a woman.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2012, 12:02:27 AM
When a man and a woman love each other very, very much, they will occasionally have a kid that will never feel the touch of a woman.

And these people have whole bars for them!?!?!?!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on November 01, 2012, 12:14:44 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2012, 12:02:27 AM

And these people have whole bars for them!?!?!?!

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on October 31, 2012, 11:59:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 31, 2012, 11:55:05 PM
A bar.  That caters to nerds.

Sorry i still don't understand.

There are at least a couple of them in Vancouver. One is called XP Bar and has gaming consoles at all the tables (or that was the plan, but apparently they ran into problems with the arcane liquor licensing laws; not sure if that's resolved). The other one is apparently full of board games of various sorts for the patrons to play.

I have been to neither, but I'll probably check them out eventually.

Malthus

The kid had a blast as always, and complained that halloween only comes once a year - but man was the weather terrible. A miserable drizzling rain the whole time.

Far fewer kids than usual, due no doubt to the shitty weather. Kids still went out, but not for as long. Everyone was in costume, most of them quite good. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius