News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your Hallowe'en plans tonight?

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It was a wednesday.
I went out with a....friend and saw nothing haloweeny happening.
Haloween party things were Saturday and again this coming Saturday- next one to be crazyness in an abandoned hospital in Tokyo :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

No one came :( I live in too much of an old people neighborhood, urg. Ariel's too young to go door to door but next year! I'll drive to the nice new neighborhood with all the kids & she'll have a wonderfull time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2012, 08:20:52 AM
The kid had a blast as always, and complained that halloween only comes once a year - but man was the weather terrible. A miserable drizzling rain the whole time.

Far fewer kids than usual, due no doubt to the shitty weather. Kids still went out, but not for as long. Everyone was in costume, most of them quite good. 

We had the same crappy weather.  Did an abbreviated run of our normal route.  Tommy was Boba Fett (with Nikes) and Lola was a garden gnome.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM
I'm taking Timmy out trick-or-treating tonight.  It's cold enough I doubt we'll go any further than our own cul-de-sac.

How about you folks?
I thought my step sister (sort of) would come with her girls, so I planned candies for 5 kids.  Of course, I bought candies for 15 kids, duh.  And she didn't come with her kids, so I'm stuck with a lot of stuff.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 09:24:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2012, 08:20:52 AM
The kid had a blast as always, and complained that halloween only comes once a year - but man was the weather terrible. A miserable drizzling rain the whole time.

Far fewer kids than usual, due no doubt to the shitty weather. Kids still went out, but not for as long. Everyone was in costume, most of them quite good. 

We had the same crappy weather.  Did an abbreviated run of our normal route.  Tommy was Boba Fett (with Nikes) and Lola was a garden gnome.

Ahhh sooo cute!  :wub:

I gotta get my pics up tonight. Carl was a samurai. Fortunately, I made his armour out of plastic, not cardboard, and it was painted with enamels ... so rain-proof. He stayed dry but I got pretty wet, despite umbrella.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

I can't fathom not having trick or treaters at all. That would seriously suck.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2012, 09:31:50 AM

It happened back when I lived in the apartments downtown.  Mostly college kids around me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

It was really sad. My nostalgia got thrown in the gutters. I should have went with my Nephews & Nieces.

CountDeMoney

I haven't had trick or treaters here in 15 years, except once when a young couple on the 2nd floor stopped by with their toddler when I begged them to save me from my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Then again, why the hell does anybody want to climb 3 flights of stairs to hit condos anyway, when there's rows upon rows of townhouses up the street?

CountDeMoney

Lulz.  Love Baltimore race relations.

QuoteeAfter complaints from several people, Cafe Hon removed a picture early Thursday morning of one of its staff members in blackface for Halloween.

The Hampden restaurant had posted the photo on its Facebook page. It showed an employee, in blackface, apparently dressed for Halloween as Whitney Houston, singing with a smudge of white powder around the nose.

"We humbly apologize for our misjudgement in posting a Halloween picture, we have removed the picture," Cafe Hon said on Facebook early Thursday.

But some people were still upset.

"NO. It was blackface," wrote John Flannery. "Always wrong. Period. No excuse."

And LCarmen LShorter wrote: "It wasn't the 'Halloween picture.' It was that you had one of YOUR WHITE STAFF PERFORMING IN BLACKFACE IN 2012. It was a RACIST picture--of a RACIST performance, sponsored by your company."

Others defended the restaurant, like Lisa Krampf, who called it, "Just a girl having fun on Halloween for pete's sake!"

Valmy

QuoteOthers defended the restaurant, like Lisa Krampf, who called it, "Just a girl having fun on Halloween for pete's sake!"

Yeah well people had fun at Minstrel Shows as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

So is it always off limits if a white person happens to want to dress up as a black celebrity to either imitate or mock that celebrity?  If not, then how does one pull that off?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 10:14:00 AM
So is it always off limits if a white person happens to want to dress up as a black celebrity to either imitate or mock that celebrity?  If not, then how does one pull that off?

Advice I've heard is to wear a mask, for example, if you want to go as Obama. "Blackface" simply has too much in the way of unfortunate history to it. By wearing a mask, it is more obvious you are targeting the individual, not the race.

Grey Fox

The problem is blackface.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2012, 10:17:07 AM

Advice I've heard is to wear a mask, for example, if you want to go as Obama. "Blackface" simply has too much in the way of unfortunate history to it. By wearing a mask, it is more obvious you are targeting the individual, not the race.

So then you're limited to whomever masks are made for :(