Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4bn, new Star Wars movie in 2015

Started by Solmyr, October 30, 2012, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Then you don't think there is a difference between nostalgia fueling a love of Casablanca and nostalgia fueling a love of Nickelback?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2012, 08:47:28 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 07:12:21 PM
I think there's a big difference between adult men watching Thundercats and me watching Princess Mononoke or Star Wars.  The first was terrible in the first place and nostalgia shouldn't make a damn bit of difference.   The other two are roundly excellent, and nostalgia may be a part of my enjoyment but it's not all of it. 
No, there really isn't.  Stop trying to be special.  Your tastes are not objective.
You are seriously comparing Thundercats to Princess Mononoke?

Are you seriously suggesting there is some big difference?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 09:33:52 PM
Then you don't think there is a difference between nostalgia fueling a love of Casablanca and nostalgia fueling a love of Nickelback?

You should love Casablanca cause it's a great movie, not because you saw it as a kid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on November 01, 2012, 01:00:51 PM
1.  Two of the most annoying sidekicks in the history of cinema until Lucas outdid himself with Jar-Jar.
This is the issue I can never get past with that film.

I agree that Crystal Skull was actually pretty fun until they got to the temple.  I still prefer it to Temple of Doom.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2012, 03:34:48 PM
That's the reason why 20 years ago films took more gambles, while we are now flooded with recycled material: adaptations from successful properties of other media, remakes and sequels.
I would say that has more to do with the recession hitting us were people have less money, so they won't really "take a chance" with a movie.
Because there is still original content being done in Hollywood.  And there was a load of crap being done 20-40-60 years ago.  Every Hollywood movie I've seen from the 50s and 60s figures the same wooden actresses, totally hysterical, needing to be either rescued or slapped around to their senses by their male.  Every John Wayne movie looks&feel the same, plus a few extra cow boys movies where they try a new John Wayne.

So, no, i have to disagree, that Hollywood is only now producing crap and everything was better before: they have always made bad movies, alongside some very good ones.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Short Round was hilarious. "No time for love, doctah Jones, we got company!"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Does anyone love Nickelback because of nostalgia?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2012, 09:58:05 PM
Every Hollywood movie I've seen from the 50s and 60s figures the same wooden actresses, totally hysterical, needing to be either rescued or slapped around to their senses by their male.
You've been checking out the wrong ones then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 01, 2012, 09:47:40 PM

You should love Casablanca cause it's a great movie, not because you saw it as a kid.
They aren't mutually exclusive, obviously. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Hm, Lucas wants to donate at least a billion to an education focused charity.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2012, 02:19:07 AM

Should have spent it on low income housing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

This is supposed to make it all OK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

I'll be starting a Languish Education Fund if anyone wants to get in on this action.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2012, 03:09:52 AM

Should have spent it on low income housing.

:lol: I wonder if that's still going thru.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Does he want support the fine Electrical Engineering Students of Languish?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."