Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4bn, new Star Wars movie in 2015

Started by Solmyr, October 30, 2012, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2012, 07:45:47 PM
I dunno.  The Expaded Universe sort of shit itself.

Sure, but it produced a lot of good stuff before that point.  While there were some stinkers (The Courtship of Princess Leia, The Crystal Star, etc.I, Jedi, the Hand of Thrawn trilogy, and Dark Empire were definitely pro-grade.  Also, let's not forget the Rogue Squadron books (well, okay, we can forget Starfighters of Adumar, but the rest were freaking awesome).
Experience bij!

Phillip V

Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire") has penned a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film. It is rumored that the treatment is not just for "Episode VII" but for the next three movies.

The studio wants Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo in the film, though no deals have been made with the original actors. But Harrison Ford is reportedly up for returning to the series, and Carrie Fisher said that she definitely wants in.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/11/star-wars-episode-vii-michael-arndt-has-written-treatment-for-next-three-films.html

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2012, 09:43:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2012, 08:47:28 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 07:12:21 PM
I think there's a big difference between adult men watching Thundercats and me watching Princess Mononoke or Star Wars.  The first was terrible in the first place and nostalgia shouldn't make a damn bit of difference.   The other two are roundly excellent, and nostalgia may be a part of my enjoyment but it's not all of it. 
No, there really isn't.  Stop trying to be special.  Your tastes are not objective.
You are seriously comparing Thundercats to Princess Mononoke?

Are you seriously suggesting there is some big difference?
Are you on fucking crack? Miyazaki is one of the greatest directors of all time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

One part of me is offended. The other is wacking off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on November 04, 2012, 04:51:29 PM
Anyway, back to the main topic, I've heard that Disney won't be making Episode 7 based on the Zahn novels.  Now, they weren't high literature, and my hazy memories of them record some problems I had with them even back as young as 14, but I do recall them being pretty good, and ripe for adaptation, so this kind of sucks.  Moreover, if they decide to completely ignore all of the material that could be drawn from those novels, notably Admiral Thrawn (probably the best original character in the expanded universe), that would be a real shame.

I hope they piss all over that vong crap. The EU fan rage will be hilarious.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2012, 09:14:23 AM
Anyway, back to the main topic, I've heard that Disney won't be making Episode 7 based on the Zahn novels.  Now, they weren't high literature, and my hazy memories of them record some problems I had with them even back as young as 14, but I do recall them being pretty good, and ripe for adaptation, so this kind of sucks.  Moreover, if they decide to completely ignore all of the material that could be drawn from those novels, notably Admiral Thrawn (probably the best original character in the expanded universe), that would be a real shame.

I haven't read any of it, but I thought that the Thrawn stuff was written long before Vong were invented. Thrawn makes sense -- the Empire needs a Bel Riose -- but the Vong war sounds imbecilic. The actors are too old for the Thrawn stuff to be relevant, in any event.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

celedhring

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 11, 2012, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

I haven't read any of it, but I thought that the Thrawn stuff was written long before Vong were invented. Thrawn makes sense -- the Empire needs a Bel Riose -- but the Vong war sounds imbecilic. The actors are too old for the Thrawn stuff to be relevant, in any event.

The original actors are too old for anything that doesn't have them as secondary characters, to be frank. Which brings me to my personal nightmare of having their kids carrying the sequels.

Star Wars: the new generation.

What people think would happen if they got recast, though? Star Trek got away with recasting Kirk and co., afterall.

Zoupa

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2012, 09:46:42 AM
The original actors are too old for anything that doesn't have them as secondary characters, to be frank. Which brings me to my personal nightmare of having their kids carrying the sequels.

It's Star Wars.  It got away with revealing Darth Vader to be Luke's father, after all.  It's always been a soap opera.

Of course they can get away with having Han and Leia's kid being the star.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on November 11, 2012, 03:29:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2012, 09:46:42 AM
It's Star Wars.  It got away with revealing Darth Vader to be Luke's father, after all.  It's always been a soap opera.

Of course they can get away with having Han and Leia's kid being the star.
Maybe.  It's not like you can just put a lightsabre in the hands of some asshole and turn it into a movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

All those original Star Wars actors see a chance for them to pull in a decent paycheck for the first time in years. Harrison excepted, of course.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on November 12, 2012, 12:34:48 AM
All those original Star Wars actors see a chance for them to pull in a decent paycheck for the first time in years. Harrison excepted, of course.
Mark Hamil must make decent money as the voice actor for the Joker.

1 Karma Chameleon point