Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4bn, new Star Wars movie in 2015

Started by Solmyr, October 30, 2012, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2012, 03:01:15 PM
With the Nelson/Murphy/Corbett commentary, it's pretty great; one of their better productions.

Also, at least last I checked, the Christmas Special is readily available on Google Video--so readily that, unless I'm remembering entirely incorrectly, the Rifftrax is timed on its source, a VHS that includes many of the commercials.

That's because ALL of the videos are based on that single source- it never even aired a second time.  The RT crew just decided some of the ads were funny enough that they needed the riffs (and I imagine not having to edit them out kept the cost down, too).
Experience bij!

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2012, 04:09:30 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2012, 02:54:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2012, 08:01:32 AM
Stupid ass Last Crusade.

Second best of the series.

No way, that would mean "Raiders" is only the third best.  :whistle:

You can't be claiming Temple of Doom or the fourth is the best, because that would be awful, just awful.  Such crappy movies.

katmai

Quote from: frunk on October 31, 2012, 07:25:54 PM
Stupid ass Last Crusade.

You can't be claiming Temple of Doom or the fourth is the best, because that would be awful, just awful.  Such crappy movies.
Well it is Ide....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Just in case Lucas himself didn't do enough to fuck up one of the very the best big screen villains ever, by making him a whiney emo little shit just wait until Disney gets a hold of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbH1SEsqiE

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on October 31, 2012, 10:50:28 AM
The prequels were made to milk a captive nerd audience, showcase CGI, cater even more to kids, and sell even more toys.
Actually, I think the prequels were made to sell video games.  The race in the first movie made a fantastically stupid&boring game (well it looked that way).  The second one had a classic video game scene where characters walk/run on some chain and avoid deadly obstacles coming from above, designed to cut or crush them.  Most 2D console video games had such a scene.

With Disney, it will mean that it will be even more catering to kids, selling more merch, and having Jar-Jar Binks mascots parading at Disneyland. That's probably why Lucas accepted Disney as a bidder, because he knew they had the same ideas than him when it came to milk Star Wars and rape its adult fans in the ass.
Maybe, maybe not.  Disney did make some good stuff with Marvel.  And John Carter was a good movie.  And I think 2 or 3 of the Alamo movies were from them.

You see Disney as the Disney we had when we were kids.  The Disney Hour and such.  The Rob Roy movies, the Davy Crockett shows.
You fail to grasp how it's a financial company, a holding, with multiple divisions, each with their own creative vision (or lack of if you are cynical).

Disney is there to grab the profits from all the IP.  They're not there for Lucas Vision, or for anyone else's vision.  Crossovers, or kiddifying the movies or eventual tv show or tv movies would be bad.  Why?  They already got the Clone Wars for that crowd.  And the Lego Star Wars.

I have hopes, because I think, in terms of profit, they know their best bet is to be true to the essence of Star Wars: a fairy tale for adults.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 31, 2012, 11:58:23 AM
The bad news is that this probably renders the Rogue Squadron books/comics non-canon.  The awesome news is that there's no way Disney's going to let the Vong books stand as canon.
everything that came after is canon, so forget it.  There's way too much retcon, and there are actually a few good novels.
Also, they tied it in to the prequels, so there's no way they are making anything non canon.

Unless they decide to go the Star Trek way.  A reboot with a parallel universe involving time travel.  That's be cool...   :P   (sarcasm, here)

EDIT:
Here is the official statement about canon:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon
Quote"We've stuck to a very clear branding strategy for the past decade. This is Star Wars. Individual movies come and go, as do TV shows, video games, books. They all contribute to the lore of Star Wars, but in the end it is one saga and that saga is called Star Wars. We've wanted to send a clear message to our fans that everything we do is part of that overall saga." ―Jim Ward[src]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Well, the Old Republic setting (comics, games etc.) is kind of a re-imagining of the Star Wars universe. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on October 31, 2012, 07:53:47 PM
Quote from: frunk on October 31, 2012, 07:25:54 PM
Stupid ass Last Crusade.

Well it is Ide....

1-Doom
2-Raiders
3-Crusade
67-Crystal Skull

IMHO

And I have had hourlong arguments about Doom. I'll just say one thing about why I think it's the best of the lot: since that gong is hit it is possibly the most frantic rollercoaster of escapist vintage adventure ever done. It has rough edges, but the thing just doesn't fucking stop throwing stuff at you: Chinese mobsters, magic stones, monkey brains,dark exotic cults, hidden temples, bugs, mine wagons, dangling bridges... it's the quintessential 80s movie. Raiders is great, but it doesn't have that exhilarating pace to it, in my opinion.

Eddie Teach

Doom is pretty great but the lameass save the children bit keeps it from reaching raiders heights.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I really don't get the crystal skull hate. It was pretty decent. Certainly not the attrocity the star wars prequels were. And since it was a sequel it didn't really shit on the canon the way the prequels did either.

I recall the girl I went to see it with only knew of Indianna Jones as the crappy TV show and had never seen the originals. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.