Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4bn, new Star Wars movie in 2015

Started by Solmyr, October 30, 2012, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on October 31, 2012, 10:50:28 AM
That's probably why Lucas accepted Disney as a bidder, because he knew they had the same ideas than him when it came to milk Star Wars and rape its adult fans in the ass.

I'm pretty sure being able to toss Disney's $4B on top of his $3.3B personal net worth was the biggest driver.  But raping adult fans was probably a close second.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2012, 10:37:46 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 10:28:36 AM
I take it you never saw the (in)famous "Star Wars Christmas Special".  :D

I remember that was the longest week of my life, waiting for that show to come on.  It was all the talk of the elementary school cafeteria.  The anticipation was paralyzing.

And then, when it came on, it was the longest hour of my life.  DADDY MAKE IT STOP

Aw, don't tell me that you never wanted to see an elderly wookie masturbating to Diahann Carroll. It's every kid's holiday dream!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 08:49:01 AM
I know you are trolling the fanboys a bit  ;) , but you do have a point - and it isn't limited to Star Wars. In general, the adult public is not willing to draw any boundaries any more between what they liked as kids, and what they continue to like as adults - to the point where the biggest thing in movies is sequels and "reboots" of stuff people in earlier decades would have considered, basically, kid's stuff - like comic book superheros. Nowadays. it mostly isn't kids going to see that stuff, but adults.
Which makes sense, if you think about it.  Childhood lasts a very, very long time these days, and when you're in your 30s and 40s and you have nothing to do in your life, all you have is your hobbies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2012, 10:21:58 AM
As one who remembers watching the original Star Wars movie in the movie theatres during its original run (I remember it was Christmas Day. Probably 1978), I can't wait for this. Yeah it's all about nostalgia. And yeah it will suck, but nothing can be worse than the three prequels.

Weren't people sent to The Hague for that? Crimes against humanity and all that.

edit: much of it is indeed nostalgia. I wonder to what extent it is related to the somewhat fin de siècle atmosphere where the future might very well end up not being better (or rather: as optimistic) than what the first post-war generations had. And I wonder how it compares to what is going on in the newly rich regions, where things are very much better than what went before.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2012, 02:41:21 AM
Star Wars was already killed by the prequels.
Where this should be wonderful though is in killing off people bringing up the expanded universe vong crap in star wars discussions.

The bad news is that this probably renders the Rogue Squadron books/comics non-canon.  The awesome news is that there's no way Disney's going to let the Vong books stand as canon.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

As a public service, I can start mailing around my DVD with SWHS and the RiffTrax commentary.  Speaking of which, it's getting near time to inflict that on all my friends again. :menace:
Experience bij!

celedhring

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 31, 2012, 11:58:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2012, 02:41:21 AM
Star Wars was already killed by the prequels.
Where this should be wonderful though is in killing off people bringing up the expanded universe vong crap in star wars discussions.

The bad news is that this probably renders the Rogue Squadron books/comics non-canon.  The awesome news is that there's no way Disney's going to let the Vong books stand as canon.

Pretty sure Lucas' on record saying that nothing of the Expanded Universe is canon.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2012, 12:07:03 PM
Pretty sure Lucas' on record saying that nothing of the Expanded Universe is canon.

You'd think he'd be more accommodating for shit he gets royalties on.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2012, 12:10:41 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2012, 12:07:03 PM

You'd think he'd be more accommodating for shit he gets royalties on.

Found the exact quote:

QuoteLUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

To be frank, it just makes sense. It would be impossible to keep consistency with all the hundreds of stuff released independently of the films.

CountDeMoney

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 31, 2012, 12:00:20 PM

As a public service, I can start mailing around my DVD with SWHS and the RiffTrax commentary.  Speaking of which, it's getting near time to inflict that on all my friends again. :menace:

Amazed you still have any, if that's the case.  :P

Actually, the whole thing sorta works as a public service advisory about the dangers of cocaine use. Poor Carrie Fisher!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

Another month and it'll be time for the yearly viewing.
PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 12:22:56 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 31, 2012, 12:00:20 PM

Amazed you still have any, if that's the case.  :P

With the Nelson/Murphy/Corbett commentary, it's pretty great; one of their better productions.

Also, at least last I checked, the Christmas Special is readily available on Google Video--so readily that, unless I'm remembering entirely incorrectly, the Rifftrax is timed on its source, a VHS that includes many of the commercials.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)