Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4bn, new Star Wars movie in 2015

Started by Solmyr, October 30, 2012, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 08:49:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2012, 02:06:09 AM
Besides, what I find perplexing is people who watched and liked the movies as kids, and now seem to care about new movies of the same franchise being made for kids that they do not like. Why is that relevant? I liked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a kid but I couldn't care less if they now made a new series about them that was crappy.

I know you are trolling the fanboys a bit  ;) , but you do have a point - and it isn't limited to Star Wars. In general, the adult public is not willing to draw any boundaries any more between what they liked as kids, and what they continue to like as adults - to the point where the biggest thing in movies is sequels and "reboots" of stuff people in earlier decades would have considered, basically, kid's stuff - like comic book superheros. Nowadays. it mostly isn't kids going to see that stuff, but adults.

You also have to remember that Martinus is thinking like a European;  while we North Americans hold our childhoods as pleasant remembrances and the most cherished parts of our lives, the European outlook on childhood is full of cynicism and disdain, where children should be well-prepared by age 6 for the assraping absurdism of adulthood. 

It's just another example of the cultural disconnect between us and the self-important Balls Of Light.

frunk

For a time the original trilogy was underrated due to the influence of the prequels dragging muck through the universe.  Now they are overrated as people dream of getting their unedited versions back.  Really, they are just decent space opera movies with revolutionary effects for the time.  Empire is the best of them, but that just makes it very good not brilliant.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2012, 02:06:09 AM
Besides, what I find perplexing is people who watched and liked the movies as kids, and now seem to care about new movies of the same franchise being made for kids that they do not like.

Really?  Kids liked all that boring political shit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Hopefully this process will stop with stuff boys liked as adolescents, or we can look forward in the future to reboots of Thomas the Tank Engine, the Broadway Musical.  ;)

Dude.  My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine and sometimes I will pull up some Youtube videos of it for him and sure enough there are comments from probably late teens whining the new CGI Thomas is raping their childhood or some shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2012, 09:05:32 AM
and sure enough there are comments from probably late teens whining the new CGI Thomas is raping their childhood or some shit.

And rightfully so.  CGI Thomas.  Whiff Thomas Ferdinand.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2012, 02:47:27 AM
Somebody ban Martinus. Too much is just too much.

He is a dude who was obsessed with Glee so I laugh at his pretentions of cultural snobbishness.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2012, 09:05:32 AM
Hopefully this process will stop with stuff boys liked as adolescents, or we can look forward in the future to reboots of Thomas the Tank Engine, the Broadway Musical.  ;)

Dude.  My son loves Thomas the Tank Engine and sometimes I will pull up some Youtube videos of it for him and sure enough there are comments from probably late teens whining the new CGI Thomas is raping their childhood or some shit.

Well, I guess that was inevitable.  :lol:

Problem is, in the future a movie won't make money unless it is a reboot of Thomas or the Wiggles or some such.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Who knows, since Lucas won't be directing this time they might *might* get somebody interesting to do it. It's Disney, though. Stuff only works when they aren't directly meddling with it (see Pixar and Marvel).

Josephus

As one who remembers watching the original Star Wars movie in the movie theatres during its original run (I remember it was Christmas Day. Probably 1978), I can't wait for this. Yeah it's all about nostalgia. And yeah it will suck, but nothing can be worse than the three prequels.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2012, 10:21:58 AM
As one who remembers watching the original Star Wars movie in the movie theatres during its original run (I remember it was Christmas Day. Probably 1978), I can't wait for this. Yeah it's all about nostalgia. And yeah it will suck, but nothing can be worse than the three prequels.

I take it you never saw the (in)famous "Star Wars Christmas Special".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 10:28:36 AM

I remember that was the longest week of my life, waiting for that show to come on.  It was all the talk of the elementary school cafeteria.  The anticipation was paralyzing.

And then, when it came on, it was the longest hour of my life.  DADDY MAKE IT STOP

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 10:28:36 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2012, 10:21:58 AM

I saw it recently on You Tube. yeah forgot about that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Drakken

And I don't see why it is a good news. George Lucas made a travesty of Star Wars, even starting as early in Return of the Jedi by adding furries Ewoks to a movie that until then was pretty much going to be the darkest of the three, even darker than Empire Strikes Back. The prequels were made to milk a captive nerd audience, showcase CGI, cater even more to kids, and sell even more toys.

With Disney, it will mean that it will be even more catering to kids, selling more merch, and having Jar-Jar Binks mascots parading at Disneyland. That's probably why Lucas accepted Disney as a bidder, because he knew they had the same ideas than him when it came to milk Star Wars and rape its adult fans in the ass.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on October 31, 2012, 10:50:28 AM
The prequels were made to milk a captive nerd audience, showcase CGI, cater even more to kids, and sell even more toys.

I just do not get how those films catered to kids.  Really lame sexual tension romance, really long and boring conversations between people seated in council chambers, no clear hero to root for, and murder of children.  I can see some parts in those films that kids would like but they were hardly catering the kids.  I would think the original films were much more kid friendly.  Clearly Luke Skywalker was the good guy and it was full of action and had a clear plot.  The prequels have no clear good guy, little action among lots of boring crap, and convoluted plots.  The Bad guy goes bad because he likes a girl, I would have thought that was totally lame as a kid.