News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD's WW1

Started by Tamas, May 15, 2009, 10:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

My results are floating somewhere on the left, the results for the enemy (if displayed at all) obscure the enemy unit. Often enough I have my units shaken, destroyed, with the enemy seemingly intact yet winning the battle. Should it say somewhere that the enemy retreated?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2009, 08:44:59 AM
My results are floating somewhere on the left, the results for the enemy (if displayed at all) obscure the enemy unit. Often enough I have my units shaken, destroyed, with the enemy seemingly intact yet winning the battle. Should it say somewhere that the enemy retreated?

You obviously have not played with 1.06d or the latest beta.

Valmy

Great Tamas your AAR made me get the game and I think its sort of sucks  :cry:

Ok maybe I can figure out all these rules enough to be able to play if I keep at it.

I keep thinking: if I run Plan XVII historically will I be able to figure out how to detach corps and move them on rails in order to stop the Germans in the north?  Probably not.  France = doomed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2009, 08:46:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2009, 08:44:59 AM

You obviously have not played with 1.06d or the latest beta.

Uhm, I do.  :huh:

Also, despite the horsepower of my new PC the game still bogs down and the interface dodgy from time to time.

I like the gameplay and its concept, but the whole presentation/interface is making it very hard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Yeah what is up with these strategy games with craptacular graphics running so slowly and poorly on modern PCs?  I mean these games look like they were made with state of the art 1994 graphics technology yet it seems you need an array of connected super computers in order to run them well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Valmy there was a demo :P

Tamas

Also Valmy get the full manual.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2009, 09:10:09 AM
Valmy there was a demo :P

I demand things be intuitive!

Anyway sluggish performance and long load times are more of a real concern because that sort of thing will seriously limit my desire to keep playing it.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2009, 09:04:06 AM
Yeah what is up with these strategy games with craptacular graphics running so slowly and poorly on modern PCs?  I mean these games look like they were made with state of the art 1994 graphics technology yet it seems you need an array of connected super computers in order to run them well.

Its bad enough when the games have two decades old graphics - what really sucks is when they have decades old grpahics, and even atthat the interface STILL doesn't actually work!

I mean, its not like if this game came out ten years ago, the interface would be fine.

This interface fails not because the graphics are dated, but because it seems to be created for the express purpose of frustrating the player and hiding what appears to be a brilliant design under the hood.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

If you have plenty of RAM you can opt to have the whole map loaded at start (in the configurator tool), which will make for a longer scenario start but supposedly more fluid map-scrolling.

Same goes for sounds. You also should turn off AI logging but I think that is off by default.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2009, 09:16:31 AM
If you have plenty of RAM you can opt to have the whole map loaded at start (in the configurator tool), which will make for a longer scenario start but supposedly more fluid map-scrolling.

Same goes for sounds. You also should turn off AI logging but I think that is off by default.

Which I did (have 8 GB). But whenever I get into a new phase (i.e. AI doing their moves), choose an event, or set anything in the "top of screen" menus it becomes sluggy which is probably more a testament to the computations going on the background than anything else.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Seen

Tamas

No, I went to Munich to check on the new siege guns being built. Will continue when I get home.

Tamas

So I stopped this because I got annoyed: some chain of events and checks in the turn of the US going pro-Allied skyrocketed the Russian National Will back to 35. After a throughout search of logs and events I concluded this was either a bug, or a failed revolt which also failed to leave a mark in the gamelogs (unlikely, but possible).

I might end up continuing, or starting over when the next patch gets out. There is already a new beta one.

And thats because the developer guy and Thibaut are working on a "gold" version. Among the planned additions I think the most important is a separate stack organizing window, so you can stop with the annoying drag and drop shuffling of units within stacks. Also they will convert the map to a normal north-south allignment altough I hope it will be optional and I hate them for wasting precious time on such a triviality (Calvinus had to code a converter, and Thibaut now has to fix up the result or something like that).

Habbaku

In other words, I made the right decision to wait on the game a la Paradox's offerings.  :yeah:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien