News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD's WW1

Started by Tamas, May 15, 2009, 10:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2010, 09:57:46 AM
Just play the South and you will find the game is awesome.

Why is that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2010, 09:58:45 AM

Why is that?

It is a ACW game - they all suffer from Southern fanboi-ism, and the South is over-powered so that the game will be "interesting". This one is no different.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Why is that?

When I played the South, I was able to build sizable manpower reserves (regiments & brigades not formed into divisions or corps) at Richmond and Atlanta.

While keeping the Union bottled up in DC and Loiusville.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

The South pretty much cant win in competitive PBEM. To say you can bottle up the northern AI is not reflective of much other than a bad AI.

If anything, the ratings of generals were preposterous. Grant being even comperable to Lee is absurd, and they were too hard on Halleck, Mcclellan and others.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 30, 2010, 11:16:57 AM
If anything, the ratings of generals were preposterous. Grant being even comperable to Lee is absurd, and they were too hard on Halleck, Mcclellan and others.
You are right. Grant should be rated way higher than Lee, as he was a far greater strategist and tactician. Lee was alright in moral, though, so maybe the case should be made that he could be closer to Grant.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2010, 11:27:11 AM
You are right. Grant should be rated way higher than Lee, as he was a far greater strategist

:contract:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2010, 11:27:11 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 30, 2010, 11:16:57 AM
You are right. Grant should be rated way higher than Lee, as he was a far greater strategist and tactician. Lee was alright in moral, though, so maybe the case should be made that he could be closer to Grant.
I know that this is a troll, but just want to make sure that you understand that Grant did a "Pickett's Charge" about six times, with the same result every time.  With tactics like that, who needs Lee?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Soviet swarm tactics ftw.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Ed Anger

Send in the Irish brigade first.

Tamas

You american history geeks are not really better than balkantards, its just that you drool over different topics. :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2010, 02:00:40 PM
You american history geeks are not really better than balkantards, its just that you drool over different topics. :rolleyes:

Go back in your wagon. We don't need any beets or a car stolen.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2010, 10:00:51 AM

Why is that?

It is a ACW game - they all suffer from Southern fanboi-ism, and the South is over-powered so that the game will be "interesting". This one is no different.

Well it is a French game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2010, 12:15:09 PM
I know that this is a troll, but just want to make sure that you understand that Grant did a "Pickett's Charge" about six times, with the same result every time.  With tactics like that, who needs Lee?
Oh I understand, but then Lee did the same thing over and over too. I believe he lost a higher percentage of troops - he was quite the butcher as well.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

And to be fair, one can argue that Grant actually had the troops to expend on frontal assaults - Lee did not.

Indeed, that is what made Grant so different from the other Eastern Union commanders. He didn't run his ass back to Washington every time he lost a fight. He understood what Lincoln said about the Union army after...what was it, Chancellorsville? Paraphrasing, after the Union "lost" a battle, he said something like "Still, if we could "lose" three more fights like this, we will have won the war...".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martim Silva

Quote from: PDH

I thought that it was actually Sherman who was the better strategist, suggesting his march to the sea. His letters to Grant seem to indicate a very sharp person trying to convice someone he believes to be less able to grasp the whole of the situation.