News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AGEOD's WW1

Started by Tamas, May 15, 2009, 10:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I played through the tutorial again but for some reason I couldn't complete the instructions.  For some reason I couldn't figure out how to form a division this time.  So I decided to try a short scenario:  Bull Run.  The game ended in Stalemate after I (as the confederacy) captured Washington.  Not bad considering I had no idea what I was doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2010, 04:09:40 PM
And to be fair, one can argue that Grant actually had the troops to expend on frontal assaults - Lee did not.

Indeed, that is what made Grant so different from the other Eastern Union commanders. He didn't run his ass back to Washington every time he lost a fight. He understood what Lincoln said about the Union army after...what was it, Chancellorsville? Paraphrasing, after the Union "lost" a battle, he said something like "Still, if we could "lose" three more fights like this, we will have won the war...".
Agreed that Grant understood the strategic situation and knew he could afford troop losses.  No question he was a better strategist than Lee.  As a tactician, though, he didn't learn much.  Anything less elegant than his approach to tactical problems is hard to imagine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2010, 09:03:14 AM
Agreed that Grant understood the strategic situation and knew he could afford troop losses.  No question he was a better strategist than Lee.  As a tactician, though, he didn't learn much.  Anything less elegant than his approach to tactical problems is hard to imagine.
He was pretty Russian in his tactical attacks the last year.  Still, grand tactically, he was far and away superior to Lee, even in the last years bludgeoning - his end around at Petersburg, for example...elegance was not his metier, but it was also not called for.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

If you want to talk about Russian tactics here, talk about Russian tactics. FFS this is a Great War game thread. Go moist your Grant and Lee pictures elsewhere.

Kleves

How much of the blame for that can be laid at the feet of Meade? After all, Meade was still nominally in command, and, IIRC, Grant ran his orders through Meade. I've not looked into this, but it seems that at least some of the fault should rest with Meade.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 31, 2010, 10:12:52 AM
If you want to talk about Russian tactics here, talk about Russian tactics. FFS this is a Great War game thread. Go moist your Grant and Lee pictures elsewhere.
No. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

As of this moment, I am bored with the ACW hijack meme. I will reopen this when my taste for it comes back.

Berkut

I will reopen it when my taste for annoying people who whine about thread hijacks fires up.

Oh, that is right now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

If you want to talk about Russian tactics here, talk about Russian tactics.

Fair enough.

So what is your view of the effect of the Russian fleet visit in 1863 on British and French decisions to refrain from pro-confederate intervention?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Is there a new demo for WW1?

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2010, 10:58:29 AM
I will reopen it when my taste for annoying people who whine about thread hijacks fires up.

Oh, that is right now.

I so knew you would gallop to the rescue. Had to see though :P

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on March 31, 2010, 11:50:17 AM

Oh, that is right now.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to figure out that the rest of the forum isn't going to respect your tiny tantrum Tamas.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2010, 11:57:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 31, 2010, 11:50:17 AM

Oh, that is right now.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to figure out that the rest of the forum isn't going to respect your tiny tantrum Tamas.
Indeed.  The idea that one can lay claim to threads or topics and ban posts one doesn't like has never been realistic on languish.

One can talk through hijacks if one has something to say, and the hijacks generally run out of steam. if one isn't ready to talk through the hijack, the thread deserves to be hijacked because its main topic is over.

Bayraktar!

Lettow77

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2010, 11:14:14 AM
If you want to talk about Russian tactics here, talk about Russian tactics.

Fair enough.

So what is your view of the effect of the Russian fleet visit in 1863 on British and French decisions to refrain from pro-confederate intervention?

:lol:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

HisMajestyBOB

I think the expansion should use a mirror-image map of Europe. It's better for playability.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help