Star Trek (for actual talk about the star trek movie)

Started by Korea, May 08, 2009, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 10, 2009, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2009, 12:34:09 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2009, 03:11:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2009, 02:21:16 PM
Spoilerish Question

Romulus. Go back and watch the second part of the TNG episode Reunification, Spock answers your question. :contract:
Ok, give me the fucking answer!
I refuse to watch the TNG.

Then watch the Goddamn eighth episode of the original series.  Romulans are Vulcans.  You know, like Jews are Arabs.

Quote from: VinraithYup. Let it die people, let it die. I like Star Trek but I think the universe's utility for telling new and interesting stories is very much at an end. Let it rest in peace, and stop trying to zombify it.

It was a great movie, you big ol' negative nancy. :lol:  The only big problem was that the villain was a little undermotivated, and then only slightly--this may even be fixed in the extended cut.

As for the charges that exploration is pointless in Trek, well, obviously they're getting the vast energy they require to run those replicators and transporters and shit from somewhere.  They're seeking out and fighting over x-ray binaries and such that they use to power their antimatter refineries.

QuoteWell obviously, but Korea doesn't hold it against him so why should we?

I need everyone to continue performing admirably.
They're also fighting over dilithium crystals!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

In my opinion, Deep Space 9 and Enterprise were the only ones with believable goals for Starfleet (Enterprise was humanity adjusting to increased mobility, and DS9 reined in the exploration aspect and made Starfleet's strongest current parallels the Navy, the Coast Guard, and the US Geological Survey).

Romulans are Vulcans. It was hinted at in the original series, and Spock told Picard so in Reunification.

There was a split because Vulcans were insular and reflective, while the Romulans refused to give up on emotion and were expansionist. So while there might be a pocket colony somewhere of Vulcans, pretty much any Vulcan colony would be a Romulan colony.

That could have a huge impact on a revised TNG era, since so much of Starfleet's tactical and science commands is composed of Vulcans, and it's not unreasonable to assume that Vulcans on the home front and in Starfleet were working to check the expansion of Romulans.
Experience bij!

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 10, 2009, 03:02:36 PM
That could have a huge impact on a revised TNG era, since so much of Starfleet's tactical and science commands is composed of Vulcans, and it's not unreasonable to assume that Vulcans on the home front and in Starfleet were working to check the expansion of Romulans.

On the other hand, Federation Earth also seems nastier, no?

Caliga

Saw it today.  Five Tims out of five ( :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: / :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: )

I probably would have given it four out of five, but I loved that Captain Nero was piloting Lavos around.

Also, to whatever curmudgeon was earlier bitching about the fact that humans, Vulcans/Romulans, Klingons, etc. all look so similar--while the obvious reason is due to TOS's low budget, over the years a relatively plausible explanation as to why this is the case has been written into Trek canon. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 09, 2009, 10:41:20 PM
I gather this is more "action-adventure" than it is "Star Trek", which is probably a good thing.

You know, I was just thinking about that. When was the last time there was a good action/adventure movie set in space?

It strikes me I wouldn't be giving this thing a second thought if it wasn't called "Star Trek." :blush: :nerd:

Korea

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2009, 08:21:00 AM
Quote from: Korea on May 10, 2009, 06:43:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2009, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: vinraith on May 09, 2009, 09:45:07 PM
Quote from: Korea on May 09, 2009, 09:30:10 PM
Spoilers***

Yeah. Uhura was his love interest. I thought it was retarded but Ide liked it.  :rolleyes:

You were right, Ide was wrong. In other words, business as usual. :P
Spoilers***

Actually in the context of the movie it made sense, or at least wasn't glaring. He's an indifferent boyfriend at most.

Hope she doesn't mind fucking every seven years.

He's half human, maybe he can do it more often?

I guess but I thought there was a big brouhaha in TOS when his ponfar (sp?) came up. 
I want my mother fucking points!

grumbler

Quote from: vinraith on May 10, 2009, 04:52:11 PM
It strikes me I wouldn't be giving this thing a second thought if it wasn't called "Star Trek." :blush: :nerd:
Exactly.  Let go of your impression that "Star Trek" is anything special any more, and just go with the flow. 

If it helps, just watch some third-season TOS and you will see that there was some pretty awful stuff in Trek right from the start.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I really enjoyed it, which surprised me since I never really got much of Star Trek before.  Nicely done.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

vinraith

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2009, 08:14:11 AM
Quote from: vinraith on May 10, 2009, 04:52:11 PM
Exactly.  Let go of your impression that "Star Trek" is anything special any more, and just go with the flow. 

If it helps, just watch some third-season TOS and you will see that there was some pretty awful stuff in Trek right from the start.

It's less about the universe and more about the underlying idea of recasting a group of characters whose only real characteristics are a product of being played by a specific group of actors. I'm not concerned with Trek canon, it barely has one, and if the names of the crew members were something else I would be totally unbothered by the entire thing.

That said, I have a group of friends going tomorrow night begging me to come along (to the point of paying for my ticket) so I suppose I'll find out for myself just how much of an issue it really is in practice.

Oh, and just to prove my original point that no-one can out-Kirk Shatner:

Top that Chris Pine. :D

I Killed Kenny

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 04:27:03 PM
Well, what was the point of the car chase scene with even younger Kirk?

Sheer coolness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

vinraith

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 16, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 04:27:03 PM
Well, what was the point of the car chase scene with even younger Kirk?

Sheer coolness.

:XD: So much cheese that, if you melted the movie down, it would make a delicious fondue.

jimmy olsen

Apparently one of the cut scenes was of an abusive alcoholic uncle or something like that and Kirk stole the car to get back at him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2009, 07:23:50 PM
Apparently one of the cut scenes was of an abusive alcoholic uncle or something like that and Kirk stole the car to get back at him.

The guy that was on the future star trek phone thingy?
I want my mother fucking points!