Star Trek (for actual talk about the star trek movie)

Started by Korea, May 08, 2009, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: Faeelin on May 09, 2009, 08:58:23 PM
Ever read any of Ian Bank's culture series?

I love them.  Start with Player of Games and move on from there.  The best imo are Player of Games, Look to Windward, Consider Phlebas, and Excession.  Inversions is also very good but doesn't fit the mold of the others.

Korea

Quote from: Cerr on May 09, 2009, 06:26:23 AM
Who's Tyler Perry?
Quote from: korea
He's that guy that dresses up as a woman and makes all those lame ass "comedies" about a big fat black woman name Madea and all her adventures.:bleeding:
Quote from: cerr
Ah ok. Don't think those movies have made it over here. He was fine though in the small role he had in Star Trek.
Be thankful. Because that shit looks retarded.  But yeah he was okay for his role in Star Trek.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: vinraith on May 09, 2009, 05:08:54 PM
I couldn't care less about spoilers since I've pretty much decided this movie's a write off. I'm curious, though: did they actually give Spock a love interest?

I mean, seriously?

***spolier sort of i guess***

Yeah. Uhura was his love interest. I thought it was retarded but Ide liked it.  :rolleyes:

vinraith

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2009, 08:22:30 PM
Quote from: vinraith on May 09, 2009, 07:59:01 PM
Yup. Let it die people, let it die. I like Star Trek but I think the universe's utility for telling new and interesting stories is very much at an end. Let it rest in peace, and stop trying to zombify it.

At this point, I'd say join them, Vinnie, as you ain't ever going to beat them.  Reinvention and resurrection (with the necessary vivisection) is the spirit of this age.  Like a hackneyed version of the Renaissance. :cool:

Honest to god, I keep trying. It's clear enough that you're right, and the only way to have any damned fun with the pop culture of the next few years is going to be to not be bothered by these sorts of things, but I haven't had much luck getting over it. :( It really is the age of zombie pop culture, raising properties from the dead as crude parodies of themselves.

vinraith

Quote from: Korea on May 09, 2009, 09:30:10 PM
Yeah. Uhura was his love interest. I thought it was retarded but Ide liked it.  :rolleyes:

You were right, Ide was wrong. In other words, business as usual. :P

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on May 09, 2009, 09:30:11 PM
Honest to god, I keep trying. It's clear enough that you're right, and the only way to have any damned fun with the pop culture of the next few years is going to be to not be bothered by these sorts of things, but I haven't had much luck getting over it. :( It really is the age of zombie pop culture, raising properties from the dead as crude parodies of themselves.

That said, I've been amused by the 80s inspired efforts of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Killers, and Lady Gaga.  As well as attempts by Adele, Duffy, Sarah Bareilles, and Tegan & Sara to emulate Jewel-Alanis-Phair-Amos-Crow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Korea

Quote from: vinraith on May 09, 2009, 09:45:07 PM

:D

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Spoilers***

Spoilers***

Actually in the context of the movie it made sense, or at least wasn't glaring. He's an indifferent boyfriend at most.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

The movie didn't suck.  That alone was an enormous shock.  It was in fact rather enjoyable.  The whole time travel thing made an entirely new series possible. Maybe that won't suck too.
PDH!

FunkMonk

I gather this is more "action-adventure" than it is "Star Trek", which is probably a good thing.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 09, 2009, 10:34:26 PM
The movie didn't suck.  That alone was an enormous shock.  It was in fact rather enjoyable.  The whole time travel thing made an entirely new series possible. Maybe that won't suck too.

After all that whining, you finally came to this conclusion?

@Spellus: I dunno why Trek seems to pass over the writers who actually have a feel for the universe, especially the ones who got the knack of the TNG-era stuff. "Ship of the Line," by Diane Carey, was a great read that fleshed out a cameo character played by Kelsey Grammer, Morgan Bateson, as a temporally displaced Starfleet "beat cop." In addition to giving Kirk-era Starfleet even more of a naval feel, it actually dealt with the effects of suddenly being stranded a century in the future on the crew of the USS Bozeman.  The writing is definitely out there, but for some reason, the best writing is totally passed over for the big screen.
Experience bij!

Queequeg

Is it just me, or does virtually all Sci-Fi or even fantasy pale in comparison to how amazingly cool history is?

Maybe the wrong topic, but I'm curious.  I'm mystified by how much detail there is in these fantasy worlds, how much people know about them, when there is real history to learn and discuss. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

vinraith

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2009, 10:12:10 PM
Spoilers***

Spoilers***

Actually in the context of the movie it made sense, or at least wasn't glaring. He's an indifferent boyfriend at most.

Well obviously, but Korea doesn't hold it against him so why should we?

Siege

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 09, 2009, 03:11:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2009, 02:21:16 PM
Spoilerish Question

Romulus. Go back and watch the second part of the TNG episode Reunification, Spock answers your question. :contract:

Ok, give me the fucking answer!
I refuse to watch the TNG.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"