Star Trek (for actual talk about the star trek movie)

Started by Korea, May 08, 2009, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
So, how does the grading system in the US compare to that of Europe again?
The issue isn't so much that of the difference between the US and Europe as within the US and Europe.
:P
Wow, I almost raged so hard.   :lol:
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2009, 03:41:16 PM
The Borg Queen was  an abomination that destroyed an iconic enemy.
All I say is that she is better than Nero.

God.  I haven't seen the other movie but I agree with you. Nero sucked. He seemed like a half assed addition to the movie.:bleeding:

Korea

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Korea on May 08, 2009, 11:21:11 PM
God.  I haven't seen the other movie but I agree with you. Nero sucked. He seemed like a half assed addition to the movie.:bleeding:

"Hulk angry! Hulk SMASH stupid planet!!!" Incidentally, Bana's casting is about the only thing I had a problem with- I couldn't place him at first, and when I looked up his filmography, I seriously facepalmed.

Not only was the plot (minus the time-travel) a little too Star Wars in Star Trek, it was EU Star Wars in Star Trek. Am I the only sci fi nerd who made the Vulcans=Caamasi connection?
Experience bij!

starbright

A detailed review

I am a Trekkie. I love Star Trek. I like to pretend I am captain Kirk. :blush: That episode in DS9 where Brooks is in the crazy house gave me chills. :lol:

The movie was good. I liked it. My money was not wasted. But I got things to bitch about.

I hate it when the story talks about how the characters are "true" friends, how special they are. Show, not tell. SpockPrime stayed away to give nSpock and Kirk bonding time? WTF?

Kirk was basically crowned. WTF? Is this fantasy or sci-fi?

They killed off a "main character" culture for a subplot. WTF?

The evil ship looks like crap. I saw it in IMAX and could not make out a clear shape. It was spiderish. The crappy CGI in B5 did the Shadow ships better. New Enterprise is great. :fap: :fap:   

Knee deep water on the evil ship? WTF? 

The little scaly gnome was Trek's version of Jar Jar Binks. Really, WTF? (Loved the Orion sla... I mean the Orion cadet.)

My main fear was not liking the actors. I liked them. Quinto was great as Spock. Kirk and Bones were played well. The other characters did not really matter much in the original, but they were alright here. Loved the fencing Sulu.

Oh, yeah, too much fan service. Scotty ran around yelling every catch phase he is famous for. WTF?

Might see the movie again tomorrow.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Korea on May 08, 2009, 11:22:57 PM

The first five minutes made me tear up. It was really sad.

It made me feel an odd sense of patriotism for the United Federation of Planets. All those aliens working together.  :cry:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Cerr

Quote from: Korea on May 08, 2009, 11:13:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2009, 02:23:05 PM
I thought it was good. The actors are well cast and the characters are accurately portrayed without resorting to copying the acting style of the previous actor. So Kirk is bold and cocky, but not a parody of Shatner.

I completely agree that the characters were well cast. Spock and Kirk were great.

I also have a crush on Captain Pike.

It sucked seeing the movie at the theater because the audience would laugh extremely loudly and for a very long time at the jokes so you ended up missing 2-5 lines of the movie after every joke.  :rolleyes:  And when the black guy playing the judge made his first appearance everyone in the theater groaned. I didn't get why until today when I saw that it was Tyler Perry.
Who's Tyler Perry?

Korea

Quote from: Cerr on May 09, 2009, 03:53:16 AM
I thought it was good. The actors are well cast and the characters are accurately portrayed without resorting to copying the acting style of the previous actor. So Kirk is bold and cocky, but not a parody of Shatner.

I completely agree that the characters were well cast. Spock and Kirk were great.

It sucked seeing the movie at the theater because the audience would laugh extremely loudly and for a very long time at the jokes so you ended up missing 2-5 lines of the movie after every joke.  :rolleyes:  And when the black guy playing the judge made his first appearance everyone in the theater groaned. I didn't get why until today when I saw that it was Tyler Perry.
Who's Tyler Perry?

He's that guy that dresses up as a woman and makes all those lame ass "comedies" about a big fat black woman name Madea and all her adventures.:bleeding:

Korea

I was thinking that I would like to see this movie again but not because the story was really awesome or interesting (because it wasn't) . I want to see it again for the characters and their development. I think they are what really made the movie.

Cerr

Quote from: Korea on May 09, 2009, 05:49:33 AM
Quote from: Cerr on May 09, 2009, 03:53:16 AM

Who's Tyler Perry?

He's that guy that dresses up as a woman and makes all those lame ass "comedies" about a big fat black woman name Madea and all her adventures.:bleeding:
Ah ok. Don't think those movies have made it over here. He was fine though in the small role he had in Star Trek.

Cerr

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it. It was a very good action flick but probably a little bit too fast paced for my liking. The young Kirk being a rebel was pretty cliched though, thankfully that part before he joins starfleet doesn't last too long. The product placement was annoying as well.

There was some very funny lines of dialogue in it but some people in the audience were laughing away at nearly every second of the film and they clapped at the end. :bleeding:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I just got back from the cinema. It was fun and enjoyable, and acting wasn't wooden. Star Trek tradition is sullied.  :cry:

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 09, 2009, 09:12:34 AM
People clapped at the theater I was at too.

That always annoys the fuck out of me. Then again, most people do.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive