Star Trek (for actual talk about the star trek movie)

Started by Korea, May 08, 2009, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 02:42:44 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2009, 02:36:16 PM
There's tons of references to the original series that are enjoyable in their own right.

The timeline changes were stunning; the genocide in particular.
It would have been more interesting if they blew up X instead of Y.

Are you fucking retarded? Go back and erase that.

Also, I really liked how the inside of the ships really looked like the inside of a ship with a lot of machinery and piping.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Seriously, if you don't want to be spoiled, you don't go in movie/tv thread if you haven't seen it.  I always avoided BSG threads until I had seen the latest episode.

I don't care bout this movie at all, so I opened this thread and don't care about the spoiler.

crazy canuck

The usual internet convention is to issue a spoiler alert.....

I was reading this to pick up on the running debate about grading standards and some jerk said something about x being blown up instead of y.

Berkut

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 08, 2009, 03:07:17 PM
Seriously, if you don't want to be spoiled, you don't go in movie/tv thread if you haven't seen it.  I always avoided BSG threads until I had seen the latest episode.

I don't care bout this movie at all, so I opened this thread and don't care about the spoiler.

Well good for you, I do care about this movie, and it is common courtesy to include a spoiler tag if you are going to reveal details.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

so is this movie an A, B or C?  :P

damn, maybe we need a poll. largely so we can discuss polling options on grading and not the result.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on May 08, 2009, 03:32:04 PM
so is this movie an A, B or C?  :P

damn, maybe we need a poll. largely so we can discuss polling options on grading and not the result.

Most experts agree that options using letters can sometimes be misleading.   The most prefered method is to use numbers (eg. 1, 2 or 3).  However, in some US States there is a mixture of formats leading to confusing results.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2009, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2009, 02:18:52 PM
Cardboard characters. Shallow. Cheesy. Cheap plot devices.

So they remained faithful to the original after all?
While I only watched First Contact a long time ago as a boy, I recall that it was deeper and more intriguing than this "Star Trek". Remember Data and the Borg Queen?
The Borg Queen was  an abomination that destroyed an iconic enemy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2009, 03:41:16 PM
The Borg Queen was  an abomination that destroyed an iconic enemy.
All I say is that she is better than Nero.

Phillip V

*Spoilers*

With all the events of action, death, and love, there should have been moments that jerked me to tears, but there were none. No development or much time given to relationships or characters. We saw one quick scene of Spock talking to his mother before she died. How are we supposed to feel his loss that he needed to suppress? Same with Nero. All we got of his lost wife was a miniature fuzzy hologram for a few seconds.

Simple plot devices. Kirk somehow manages to get ejected to a planet and then runs into a cave where old Spock is. Really?
Then, old Spock tells Kirk to pick on young Spock to become Captain. Kirk sees young Spock again and immediately picks on him. Young Spock cries. Impressive.

One might say there was no time for extra character/plot development. Well, what was the point of the car chase scene with even younger Kirk? They could have easily just cut to Kirk beating up cadets in the bar to establish his punk person.       

Queequeg

Are the visuals kind of sem-Retro-Future as they seem?  Kind of interesting.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on May 08, 2009, 08:08:52 PM
Are the visuals kind of sem-Retro-Future as they seem?  Kind of interesting.
Yes, I think you'll like the visuals.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
So, how does the grading system in the US compare to that of Europe again?

[Couldn't resist ;) ]

:lol:  Gee, thanks.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 08, 2009, 02:23:05 PM
I thought it was good. The actors are well cast and the characters are accurately portrayed without resorting to copying the acting style of the previous actor. So Kirk is bold and cocky, but not a parody of Shatner.

I completely agree that the characters were well cast. Spock and Kirk were great.

I also have a crush on Captain Pike.

It sucked seeing the movie at the theater because the audience would laugh extremely loudly and for a very long time at the jokes so you ended up missing 2-5 lines of the movie after every joke.  :rolleyes:  And when the black guy playing the judge made his first appearance everyone in the theater groaned. I didn't get why until today when I saw that it was Tyler Perry.
I want my mother fucking points!