Time's top ten tech failures of the last decade

Started by Caliga, May 15, 2009, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1898610_1898625_1898627,00.html

I don't know that these are in any particular order, but I listed them in the order they've been presented in:

Windows Vista
Gateway (PC company)
HD-DVD
Vonage
YouTube
Sirius XM
Microsoft Zune
Palm
Iridium (sat phone)
Segway

I dunno about this list.... some of them are obviously total failures (Zune), but others were once successful and just declined quite a bit (Palm, Gateway).

Any time I see Segway though, I just have to laugh my ass off.  Obviously the product of a hippy liberal think-tank not remotely grounded in reality.  :)

Discuss.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2009, 08:25:06 AM
Youtube is a failure?

I was surprised by that, but in reading the article the reason given is that it has failed to find a way to make money.... by that logic, I would think Facebook should be listed as well (maybe it's "too new" for inclusion, though).

Viking

This isn't a list of the top ten tech failures (though some do belong) but rather tech business project failures.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2009, 08:40:15 AM
This isn't a list of the top ten tech failures (though some do belong) but rather tech business project failures.
Yes, good point.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 08:24:22 AM

Any time I see Segway though, I just have to laugh my ass off.  Obviously the product of a hippy liberal think-tank not remotely grounded in reality.  :)

Discuss.

I must admit, going between buildings on one of those things can be a hoot. That, and Segway jousting.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 15, 2009, 08:46:52 AM
I must admit, going between buildings on one of those things can be a hoot. That, and Segway jousting.
What's hilarious to me is not the Segway itself (although it looks fucking ridiculous IMO), but all the hype about how it "was the most significant invention since the automobile", how it would "change civilization as we know it", and so forth.  Once it debuted and it was clear that it was nothing more than a motorized 'gyro-stabilized' scooter and that it cost like $5K, I LOLed.

Darth Wagtaros

They had segway tours in San Fran.  Made even a nerd like me cringe in sympathetic horror to see these tools on Segways and bike helmets with arm and knee pads racing (slowly) around the Wharf.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 08:26:02 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2009, 08:25:06 AM
Youtube is a failure?

I was surprised by that, but in reading the article the reason given is that it has failed to find a way to make money.... by that logic, I would think Facebook should be listed as well (maybe it's "too new" for inclusion, though).

youtube is barely 4 years old; it is still too early to tell as well I think.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

*shrug* Guess so.  Never in a million years would I invest in a concern that takes four years to figure out a business model that generates reliable revenue.

saskganesh

vonage? as a consumer, it rocks.

I would add BlueRay.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

Quote from: saskganesh on May 15, 2009, 08:58:48 AM
vonage? as a consumer, it rocks.

I would add BlueRay.

Actually, I have Vonage too.  It's been fine, aside from the faulty AC adapter that came with the VoIP unit... it blew out after about two years.  But Vonage replaced it for free (and rushed it via UPS).

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Vonage  has good customer service, I might add. they went over and above when I had to call them.

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2009, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 15, 2009, 08:58:48 AM
I would add BlueRay.

Um...aren't they the only option for HD videos?

are they? I wouldn't know. I just see the planned obsolesence of the DVD industry.
I think HD is overrated -- except for live sports.