Time's top ten tech failures of the last decade

Started by Caliga, May 15, 2009, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Didn't google buy youtube for a massive chunk of change?

I'd say that the businessmodel of the YouTube founders not only worked, but should be praised as one of the biggest acts of genius in the history of mankind.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 08:26:02 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2009, 08:25:06 AM
Youtube is a failure?

I was surprised by that, but in reading the article the reason given is that it has failed to find a way to make money.... by that logic, I would think Facebook should be listed as well (maybe it's "too new" for inclusion, though).
I see ads on it all the time, how can it not be making money?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 15, 2009, 08:49:54 AM
They had segway tours in San Fran.  Made even a nerd like me cringe in sympathetic horror to see these tools on Segways and bike helmets with arm and knee pads racing (slowly) around the Wharf.

Anyone who tours Fisherman's wharf deserves pain. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 15, 2009, 08:58:48 AM
vonage? as a consumer, it rocks.

I would add BlueRay.
Has Bluray really failed?  I mean, I think it's retarded and have no intention of upgrading my DVD collection, but it seems to be given alright given that there's an existing alternative with equal quality in about 99% of applications and half the price floating around, with an installed base of hundreds of millions.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2009, 09:19:48 AM
Youtube is a failure?

I was surprised by that, but in reading the article the reason given is that it has failed to find a way to make money.... by that logic, I would think Facebook should be listed as well (maybe it's "too new" for inclusion, though).
I see ads on it all the time, how can it not be making money?
Most of the ads you see are from shitty advertisers, like Orange Julius, Fathead and a plethora of free MMORPGs.  The real money is in real advertisers like Nike, the automakers, McDonald's or Pepsi.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 09:50:54 AM
Most of the ads you see are from shitty advertisers, like Orange Julius

:mad:

Orange juice + non dairy creamer + high fructose corn syrup + caregeenan + eggshell powder = WIN.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 09:53:44 AM

Orange juice + non dairy creamer + high fructose corn syrup + caregeenan + eggshell powder = WIN.  :mad:

Orange Julius. :wub: :mmm: :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Do any other websites make a profit purely on ad revenue?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 09:53:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 15, 2009, 09:50:54 AM
Most of the ads you see are from shitty advertisers, like Orange Julius

Irrelevant.  They're still a low-grade advertiser who locate their stores in shitty dirt malls.

Ed Anger

All this talk of Orange Julius makes me want one.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Slargos

Ah yes.

[size=-1]MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., October 9, 2006 - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced today        that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for people to watch and share        original videos through a Web experience, for $1.65 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction.  Following        the acquisition, YouTube will operate independently to preserve its successful brand and passionate       community.

I don't consider $1.65 billion a failure.
[/size]

Caliga

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 10:29:51 AM
:frusty:

What?  :huh:

As a business project, Youtube was an astounding success!

It may not have been a great financial move by Google to buy it yet, but with the kind of cash those people have at hand, they can afford to make long term acquisitions and it wouldn't surprise me if youtube ends up turning a nice profit.

MadImmortalMan

Youtube is a failure?

They found a great way to make money: Sell it to Google.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers