News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dreadnought Day

Started by Neil, October 26, 2012, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2012, 12:36:54 PM
Another attack at anchor.  The aircraft seems to be only a useful weapon against a warship that isn't underway, or perhaps if you have massive numbers of aircraft.  Either way, the dreadnought is probably a more efficient use of materiel.

Neil

Destroyed by dreadnoughts.  Sunk by torpedoes fired from a treaty cruiser.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

USS Arizona 30,000 tons.
Nakajima Kate 2,5 tons.

One wonders if the Arizona is worth 1,200 torpedo bombers?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 12:54:56 PM
USS Arizona 30,000 tons.
Nakajima Kate 2,5 tons.

One wonders if the Arizona is worth 1,200 torpedo bombers?
Now take the carriers into account.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I think a better argument would be the Yamato.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Sunk by air attack, in open water:
HMS Repulse, sunk by Japanese aircraft off Malaya, December 10 1941 with loss of 436 crew.

HMS Prince of Wales, sunk by Japanese aircraft off Malaya, December 10 1941 with loss of 327 crew.

Italian battleship Roma, sunk by Luftwaffe Fritz-X glider bombs on September 9, 1943 with loss of 1,353 crew.

INS Hiei, sunk by US Navy and USAF aircraft off of Guadalcanal, November 13, 1942 with loss of 188 crew.

INS Musashi, sunk by US Navy aircraft during the Battle of Leyte Gulf on October 24, 1944 with loss of over 1,000 crew.

INS Yamato, sunk by US air attacks off of Okinawa April 7, 1945 with loss of 2,475 men.

Greek battleship Kilkis, sunk by Germany Ju-87 bombers in the Salamis Channel on April 23, 1941.

Greek battleship Limnos, sunk by Germany Ju-87 bombers in the Salamis Channel on April 23, 1941.

HNLMS De Zeven Provincien was sunk by Japanese bombers off of Surabaya, February 18, 1942. Raised by the Japanese and used as a floating battery, then sunk by allied bombers in 1943.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 01:04:54 PM
HNLMS De Zeven Provincien was sunk by Japanese bombers off of Surabaya, February 18, 1942. Raised by the Japanese and used as a floating battery, then sunk by allied bombers in 1943.

That just sounds so...violating.

Neil

Overwhelming attack from a numerically superior foe in an attack that was designed to fail?  What weapons system in the world could survive in those circumstances?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2012, 01:09:37 PM
Overwhelming attack from a numerically superior foe in an attack that was designed to fail?  What weapons system in the world could survive in those circumstances?

A superior one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Islam.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 01:04:54 PM
Sunk by air attack, in open water:
HMS Repulse, sunk by Japanese aircraft off Malaya, December 10 1941 with loss of 436 crew.

HMS Prince of Wales, sunk by Japanese aircraft off Malaya, December 10 1941 with loss of 327 crew.

Italian battleship Roma, sunk by Luftwaffe Fritz-X glider bombs on September 9, 1943 with loss of 1,353 crew.

INS Hiei, sunk by US Navy and USAF aircraft off of Guadalcanal, November 13, 1942 with loss of 188 crew.

INS Musashi, sunk by US Navy aircraft during the Battle of Leyte Gulf on October 24, 1944 with loss of over 1,000 crew.

INS Yamato, sunk by US air attacks off of Okinawa April 7, 1945 with loss of 2,475 men.

Greek battleship Kilkis, sunk by Germany Ju-87 bombers in the Salamis Channel on April 23, 1941.

Greek battleship Limnos, sunk by Germany Ju-87 bombers in the Salamis Channel on April 23, 1941.

Repulse, the Greeks and De Zeven Provincien were not dreadnought battleships.  Yamato, Musashi and Prince of Wales were assaulted by overwhelming numbers with minimal support.  Roma was Italian and in poor condition due to the surrender and due to being Italian.  Hiei was a slowly steaming target due to the crippling damage it had taken in a gunfight, and even then it took continuous air attacks all day to sink her.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2012, 01:15:34 PM
A superior one.
Stricken as unresponsive.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2012, 01:24:39 PM
A superior one.

I thought we opted for non-responsive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2012, 01:16:14 PM
Islam.
Not a weapons system.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2012, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2012, 01:24:39 PM
A superior one.
I thought we opted for non-responsive.
Probably a better wording in this situation, yes.