The Elders - Good or bad for the international community?

Started by merithyn, October 25, 2012, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: miozozny on October 25, 2012, 07:58:17 PM
Elders? Is Grumbler one of them?
He was when he was Alexander of Macedon's naval adviser.  He's long since retired from the world.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 25, 2012, 07:59:47 PM
Quote from: miozozny on October 25, 2012, 07:58:17 PM
Elders? Is Grumbler one of them?
He was when he was Alexander of Macedon's naval adviser.  He's long since retired from the world.

He was know as Cleitus in those days.  To distinguish him from Ceitus the black and Cleitus the white he was known as Cleitus the beige.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2012, 05:55:17 PM
Jimmy Carter arguably already has--not as a member of this group, but through his own efforts.  I remember years ago, during the early part of the Clinton administration, that Sam Donaldson (certainly not someone considered to be a staunch conservative) was highly critical of the Clinton administration for allowing former President Carter so much influence on our policy on Haiti.  Donaldson's criticism essentially was that Carter's agenda is "peace at any price" and that while peace is certainly an admirable goal, it shouldn't be acheived by sacrificing everything else we believe in.

I remembered something about this, which is where my initial reaction came from.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

Meh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elders_(organization)#Members

Desmond Tutu (Chair), Archbishop of Cape Town
Martti Ahtisaari, former President of Finland
Kofi Annan, former Secretary-General of the United Nations
Ela Bhatt, founder of the Self-Employed Women's Association of India
Lakhdar Brahimi, former Foreign Minister of Algeria
Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Prime Minister of Norway
Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former President of Brazil
Jimmy Carter, former President of the United States
Graça Machel, wife of Nelson Mandela
Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland

dps

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 10:04:05 PM
Quote from: dps on October 25, 2012, 05:55:17 PM
Jimmy Carter arguably already has--not as a member of this group, but through his own efforts.  I remember years ago, during the early part of the Clinton administration, that Sam Donaldson (certainly not someone considered to be a staunch conservative) was highly critical of the Clinton administration for allowing former President Carter so much influence on our policy on Haiti.  Donaldson's criticism essentially was that Carter's agenda is "peace at any price" and that while peace is certainly an admirable goal, it shouldn't be acheived by sacrificing everything else we believe in.

I remembered something about this, which is where my initial reaction came from.

Keep in mind that there was a specific content to this at the time.  Bill Clinton came into office with essentially no foreign policy experience, nor did he articulate any particular foreign policy goals during the 1992 campaign.  None of his close advisors had any real foreign policy experience, either.  Donaldson's criticism wasn't so much of former President Carter, but rather that President Clinton, not having any foreign policy agenda of his own, was inappropriately allowing Carter to, in effect, run our foreign policy.  It should be noted that until his death, former President Nixon apparantly had more input into Clinton's foreign policy than did Carter--a lot more.  The difference was that Nixon's influence was exercised through advice that he gave to President Clinton in private;  while Carter was publicly making statements about what our policies should be, and Clinton appeared to often go along with Carter's ideas after they were aired publicly, giving at least the perception that Jimmy Carter, not Bill Clinton, was in charge of US foreign policy.  This perception faded as the Clinton administration gained experience. 

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 07:46:06 PM
How about you and the soccer mom go cruise for new shoes instead of perpetrating a fraud, Mary?

Meri, Max and I had a nice lunch when I was living in Chicago, so what of it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2012, 01:51:04 PM
Do they have Protocols?

No, but I'm in the early phases of my plan to steal their gems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on October 25, 2012, 10:32:53 PM
Meh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elders_(organization)#Members

Desmond Tutu (Chair), Archbishop of Cape Town
Martti Ahtisaari, former President of Finland
Kofi Annan, former Secretary-General of the United Nations
Ela Bhatt, founder of the Self-Employed Women's Association of India
Lakhdar Brahimi, former Foreign Minister of Algeria
Gro Harlem Brundtland, former Prime Minister of Norway
Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former President of Brazil
Jimmy Carter, former President of the United States