The Elders - Good or bad for the international community?

Started by merithyn, October 25, 2012, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
Nothing the Space Wolves or Imperial Fists can't handle.

You people suck.  This was a great reference.   :mad:

Tell your sister. I'm sure she'd praise your efforts, anyway. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 02:19:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2012, 02:15:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 02:05:56 PM
There is still the worry that this kind of group could cause problems if at any point anyone took them seriously.

The world is full of groups that want to meddle in the affairs of state.  One more doesnt make much difference.

Huh. I guess I put too much emphasis on the group being primarily former national leaders. Maybe no one else does.

There are all kinds of think tanks, lobby groups, etc etc etc populated for former heavy weights.  Not sure what sets this one apart.

Sheilbh

They're an NGO. No worse than the Clinton or Blair foundations.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2012, 02:28:50 PM
They're an NGO. No worse than the Clinton or Blair foundations.

Other than the fact that none of them measure up to Clinton or Blair ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

It's just an excuse to write off boozing and whoring.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 02:22:12 PM

I've backhanded bitches in public for less that that.  Check yourself lest you wreck yourself, Moms.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 02:35:10 PM

I've backhanded bitches in public for less that that.  Check yourself lest you wreck yourself, Moms.

I think you might have subject and direct object swapped in your first sentence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 02:52:34 PM

I think you might have subject and direct object swapped in your first sentence.

:lol:

Neil

I will correct myself. It seems that they have had zero impact anywhere. :lol:

There is still the worry that this kind of group could cause problems if at any point anyone took them seriously.
Not really though, because there is no risk of anyone taking any of these people seriously.  What resources do these people control?  How many divisions could they muster?  Do they possess atomic weaponry?

These folks are just a bunch of folks who were a little too optimistic about the victory of civilization during the Cold War.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2012, 03:26:37 PM

Not really though, because there is no risk of anyone taking any of these people seriously.  What resources do these people control?  How many divisions could they muster?  Do they possess atomic weaponry?

These folks are just a bunch of folks who were a little too optimistic about the victory of civilization during the Cold War.

Good points. Those without nukes don't count. Sad, really, but true.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 03:36:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2012, 03:26:37 PM

Good points. Those without nukes don't count. Sad, really, but true.

Nuke capable people count too.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
Nothing the Space Wolves or Imperial Fists can't handle.

You people suck.  This was a great reference.   :mad:
The Ordo Xenos can do it better.
PDH!

dps

Jimmy Carter arguably already has--not as a member of this group, but through his own efforts.  I remember years ago, during the early part of the Clinton administration, that Sam Donaldson (certainly not someone considered to be a staunch conservative) was highly critical of the Clinton administration for allowing former President Carter so much influence on our policy on Haiti.  Donaldson's criticism essentially was that Carter's agenda is "peace at any price" and that while peace is certainly an admirable goal, it shouldn't be acheived by sacrificing everything else we believe in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 02:52:34 PM

How about you and the soccer mom go cruise for new shoes instead of perpetrating a fraud, Mary?

miozozny