The Elders - Good or bad for the international community?

Started by merithyn, October 25, 2012, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I've recently learned about a group of former presidents from around the world and other former leaders called The Elders. (Forgive me if I'm late to the party on this.) Basically, they've taken on the task of trying to create world peace through unified, independent diplomacy. Jimmy Carter is one of the drivers of this group.

Now, I appreciate the point of the group, and applaude them on their attempts. However, isn't there the risk that by working independently of any particular nation, they could end up screwing something else up?

The Elders
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

World peace through irrelevance? I suppose it could work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

From their website:

QuoteChaired by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, The Elders is an independent group of global leaders who work together for peace and human rights. They were brought together in 2007 by Nelson Mandela, who is not an active member of the group but remains an Honorary Elder. The Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi was also an Honorary Elder, until her election to the Burmese parliament in April 2012.

The Elders represent an independent voice, not bound by the interests of any nation, government or institution.

They are committed to promoting the shared interests of humanity, and the universal human rights we all share.

They believe that in any conflict, it is important to listen to everyone - no matter how unpalatable or unpopular this may be.

They aim to act boldly, speaking difficult truths and tackling taboos.

They don't claim to have all the answers, and stress that every individual can make a difference and create positive change in their society.

The Elders is an unusual organisation with a distinct way of working. The Elders work strategically, focusing on areas where they are uniquely placed to make a difference.

This can mean engaging in private advocacy, using their collective influence to open doors and gain access to decision-makers. At other times, The Elders work publicly to promote neglected issues and speak out against injustice. The group decides collectively where there is the greatest opportunity to make a real impact, whether this is:

•Opening doors to gain access to decision-makers at the highest levels
•Listening to everyone, no matter how unpalatable or unpopular, to promote dialogue
•Providing an independent voice that can speak out, challenge injustice and break taboos
•Bringing people together to catalyse action and forge alliances
•Amplifying and supporting the work of people affected by conflict or working for peace
•Creating space for campaigners and policy makers to broach difficult issues
•Connecting people with decision-makers, ensuring the needs of ordinary citizens are always represented
•Highlighting neglected issues to generate media coverage and political attention
The Elders are cautious not to claim all the credit for making a difference. Much of The Elders' work is dedicated to supporting the efforts of other campaigners and advocates, giving them a platform to make their voices heard. Read blogs by some of the activists The Elders have worked with.

The Elders are supported by a small team based in London, and by the Advisory Council

The Elders are in regular contact with each other, and meet twice a year to review their activities, discuss current priorities and plan their upcoming work.

Identifying situations where the Elders' involvement can make a positive impact, and where they - as Elders - are uniquely placed to act, often means making difficult decisions. The group isn't always able to intervene in particular conflicts or prevent cases of human rights abuse. These decisions are always made by consensus and new areas of work are only adopted with the agreement of the group.

derspiess

Not competent enough to accomplish anything or screw anything up. 

Jimmy Carter & Desmond Tutu :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2012, 01:50:17 PM

Given that they've gone to North Korea, worked in China for Tibet, and are right now in Egypt, I would say that they are not irrelevant. They have had an impact in a number of places, but I question the safety to other national concerns that they could get in the way of.

CountDeMoney

Nothing the Space Wolves or Imperial Fists can't handle.

MadImmortalMan

So all the idiots who got us to where we are today? Yeah. Great.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 01:56:03 PM
Given that they've gone to North Korea, worked in China for Tibet, and are right now in Egypt, I would say that they are not irrelevant. They have had an impact in a number of places, but I question the safety to other national concerns that they could get in the way of.

:lol:  So they haven't accomplished jack shit in any place they've been and you're still saying they're not irrelevant?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I will correct myself. It seems that they have had zero impact anywhere. :lol:

There is still the worry that this kind of group could cause problems if at any point anyone took them seriously.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 01:56:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2012, 01:50:17 PM

Yeah, those places turned awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

The point is that they can stir up a pot that really shouldn't be stirred by people outside of the various systems. All it takes is one psycho leader (of which there appear to be a few in place) to take them seriously for things to go kabloom.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 02:05:56 PM
There is still the worry that this kind of group could cause problems if at any point anyone took them seriously.

The world is full of groups that want to meddle in the affairs of state.  One more doesnt make much difference.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2012, 02:15:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2012, 02:05:56 PM

The world is full of groups that want to meddle in the affairs of state.  One more doesnt make much difference.

Huh. I guess I put too much emphasis on the group being primarily former national leaders. Maybe no one else does.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
Nothing the Space Wolves or Imperial Fists can't handle.

You people suck.  This was a great reference.   :mad: