And we're back!

Main Menu

NOAA to East: Beware of coming 'Frankenstorm

Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I was on a conference call with a client's PM from New Jersey once. God, was she annoying. Every second word was "like" and the way she spoke made her sound like a vacuous bimbo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

It looks bad.  Hopefully, the evacuation and the preparations will be enough.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2012, 10:14:45 AM
It looks bad.  Hopefully, the evacuation and the preparations will be enough.

Indeed. Sandy is continuing to gain speed and is now at 90mph!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

So if I read this right, they are asking people to get to of town yet the public transportation many depend on in the big cities was shut down early to prevent more damages. How can people get out then?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2012, 10:25:12 AM
So if I read this right, they are asking people to get to of town yet the public transportation many depend on in the big cities was shut down early to prevent more damages. How can people get out then?

Well at least in NYC, mandatory evacuations for low-lying areas was ordered well in advance of public transport closing...and the latter was also warned about way in advanced of the decision being made.

Also in NYC, they weren't suggestion evacuation of city but just certain districts so presumably one could easily still walk to a shelter/friend's place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2012, 10:25:12 AM

Well thankfully we have a wealth of disaster movies that tell us how it should be done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

It'll be interesting to see how bad this gets...so far, about as bad as a typical fall storm for Seattle.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Count

should I get emergency milk if I don't buy milk normally? Why is milk always on the list?
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

derspiess

Quote from: Count on October 29, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
should I get emergency milk if I don't buy milk normally? Why is milk always on the list?

BUY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: Count on October 29, 2012, 12:10:36 PM

Yes, it is your duty to be part of the problem, never the solution. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Count

snagged the last loaf of bread! starting to rain up and get somewhat heavy wind up here
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

lustindarkness

Quote from: Count on October 29, 2012, 12:43:16 PM
snagged the last loaf of bread! starting to rain up and get somewhat heavy wind up here

WHAT ABOUT THE MILK?! You need milk to spoil in your fridge for the full experience.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom