If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:18:44 AM
How do we know that Jesus died for our sins? The Bible.

Christians know that Jesus died for their sins because the "good news" has been conveyed to them through a living chain back to the original witnesses to the fact (the apostles).  That knowledge is independent of any textual formulation, it would exist and be true even if the New Testament had never been written down.  There is a tendency to forget this 2000 years after the event, in a highly literate age where the written word is paramount.

QuoteChristian doctrine is discussion of and commentaries on the bible since the bible is the primary source for the minstry of jesus and the works of the apostles who were divinely inspired. If the foundation is lacking the doctrine falls not matter how internally consistent.

The text is the foundation but stating that only begs the question of how the text is be understood and what it means.  Answering that question is the hard part and focus of Christian doctrinal and theological effort for 2000 years.  The reality of doctrinal and sectional division within Christianity indicates that there have been multiple answers to that question, and the reason for that is that the text, like all texts, can be read in different ways.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 10:13:34 AM

I'll wait till you respond to Joan's post but I must say again it is odd that you'd give so little weight to millenia of scholarship on the issues.

I put the same weight on millennia of scholarship on this issue as I put on any other issue from astrology astronomy to alchemy chemistry.

And religion philosophy?

fyp
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:29:17 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 10:21:18 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:08:09 AM
My northern sola scriptura roots are yearning to disagree there...

Sola scriptura simply means that theology can be derived entirely from a reading of the text, and without recourse to conciliar pronouncements.  It doesn't require or even suggest a literal reading, and indeed neither Luther, Zwingli, nor Calvin adopted such a reading.  Moreover; sola scriptura was not strict, at least for the Luterans who accepted the Nicaea.

I've learned not to lecture you about Judaism, you shouldn't lecture me about Lutheranism.

It means that everything must be sourced in the bible and the holy spirit helps you realize what the bible means in each case. Which is the reason protestantism immediately fractured because Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Knox, Wesley etc.etc. all understood it differently and were equally well justified in the interpretations.

Any argument for a theological interpretation must start with you pointing to a verse in the bible.

You aren't contradicting anything Minsky said though. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 25, 2012, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
The idea that religions that have been around for millenia and have had millions of followers seem a little less crazy? :huh:
Why? Just because something is older doesn't mean it's better.

I think it does make it harder to just dismiss out of hand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I've learned not to lecture you about Judaism, you shouldn't lecture me about Lutheranism.

It means that everything must be sourced in the bible and the holy spirit helps you realize what the bible means in each case. Which is the reason protestantism immediately fractured because Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Knox, Wesley etc.etc. all understood it differently and were equally well justified in the interpretations.

Any argument for a theological interpretation must start with you pointing to a verse in the bible.

It's not my intent to lecture, but I did notice you said nothing to contradict me here.  The requirement for Biblical sourcing is not a requirement of literal reading and none of the figures you mentioned adopted fundamentalist readings in the sense we understand today.  In some cases their readings were quite radical and far from obvious "plain meaning" interpretations.

EDIT: also can't help but point out that since Lutherism ultimately is just another Jewish heresy, my lecturing privileges ought to be reinstated.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:30:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 10:13:34 AM

I'll wait till you respond to Joan's post but I must say again it is odd that you'd give so little weight to millenia of scholarship on the issues.

I put the same weight on millennia of scholarship on this issue as I put on any other issue from astrology astronomy to alchemy chemistry.

And religion philosophy?

fyp

Try again. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 10:28:25 AM
As anabaptists post date the middle ages, that would be tough.
The usage of that term post-dates the middle ages. There is some indication their beliefs do not.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 10:33:00 AM
But that's not what I was doing. Rather I was objecting to dismissing something out of hand because it was newer.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 10:30:04 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:18:44 AM
How do we know that Jesus died for our sins? The Bible.

Christians know that Jesus died for their sins because the "good news" has been conveyed to them through a living chain back to the original witnesses to the fact (the apostles).  That knowledge is independent of any textual formulation, it would exist and be true even if the New Testament had never been written down.  There is a tendency to forget this 2000 years after the event, in a highly literate age where the written word is paramount.

I am not asserting that the bible is itself revealed. It is an inspired compilation and restatement of the experience of the witnesses of that revelation. Jesus' preaching is the revelation and the bible is the report of that good news. It is still the primary source. There is no other in orthodox (note, uncapitalized) Christianity.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 10:30:04 AM
QuoteChristian doctrine is discussion of and commentaries on the bible since the bible is the primary source for the minstry of jesus and the works of the apostles who were divinely inspired. If the foundation is lacking the doctrine falls not matter how internally consistent.

The text is the foundation but stating that only begs the question of how the text is be understood and what it means.  Answering that question is the hard part and focus of Christian doctrinal and theological effort for 2000 years.  The reality of doctrinal and sectional division within Christianity indicates that there have been multiple answers to that question, and the reason for that is that the text, like all texts, can be read in different ways.

This just supports my problematization. We don't know how it is to be understood and what it means. The entire topic of theology exists to resolve this problem. I'm saying we've had 2000 years and the problem just keeps getting bigger. Theology is itself a failure and has produced no resolution to any issue since the council of Nicea. The lord is not the author of confusion, but alas he is.

I am saying that if it were true then it wouldn't need interpretation; I'm also saying that the fact that it needs interpretation means that it has no meaning other than what the reader brings to it. This means that it is just as useful as Huck Finn (actually much less so) as a source for inspiration, morality and spirituality.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on October 25, 2012, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 10:28:25 AM
As anabaptists post date the middle ages, that would be tough.
The usage of that term post-dates the middle ages. There is some indication their beliefs do not.

True, Christianity does predate the middle ages altogether, and thus some beliefs of the Anabaptists predate the renaissance, but that's not really very relevant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 10:33:52 AM

It's not my intent to lecture, but I did notice you said nothing to contradict me here.  The requirement for Biblical sourcing is not a requirement of literal reading and none of the figures you mentioned adopted fundamentalist readings in the sense we understand today.  In some cases their readings were quite radical and far from obvious "plain meaning" interpretations.

EDIT: also can't help but point out that since Lutherism ultimately is just another Jewish heresy, my lecturing privileges ought to be reinstated.  ;)

sigh, at times like this I can appreciate why Luther was a venomous anti-semite  :hmm:

I shifted the emphasis from your suggestion that any sola scriptura protestants thought that there was a source of knowledge of god outside the bible to pointing out that they believe that it is still god helping the reader understand the bible through inspiration from the holy spirit. The main difference between catholics and protestants is that the catholics think that the holy spirit acts on the group at prayer while the protestants think the holy spirit acts on the individual reader at prayer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:40:36 AM
I am saying that if it were true then it wouldn't need interpretation; I'm also saying that the fact that it needs interpretation means that it has no meaning other than what the reader brings to it.

The same could be said against the entire corpus of Western philosophy.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 25, 2012, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 10:33:00 AM
But that's not what I was doing. Rather I was objecting to dismissing something out of hand because it was newer.

But that's what always happens. Something new with few adherents lacks a sense of legitimacy that something older and established has. It doesn't ultimately mean that the older thing is right or better but that's what people do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:40:36 AM
I am not asserting that the bible is itself revealed. It is an inspired compilation and restatement of the experience of the witnesses of that revelation. Jesus' preaching is the revelation and the bible is the report of that good news. It is still the primary source. There is no other in orthodox (note, uncapitalized) Christianity.

Missed this.
It is the primary written source.
But the gospel at its base is an oral report, transmitted orally.  Every Christian knows that the written gospels in the NT were written down decades after the fact.  The written form is useful because it fixes the text and protects it against intentional or unintentional tampering.  But the primary source is the spoken, not the written word of the good news.

--Joan Robinson