If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:08:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 09:55:12 AM
Christianity is more than just the Bible. :huh:

My northern sola scriptura roots are yearning to disagree there... but yes, it is more than the bible. Without it, however, it reduces to pontification (see the clever pun?) on nothing and pure subjective opinion.

How do we know that Jesus died for our sins and for us to be granted eternal life we must believe in him if not getting it from the bible? If John 3:16

QuoteFor God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

is not a true fact then the religion has no purpose. How can you tell me that is not allegory and if it is allegory how is the bible any more a guide to good behavior than Huckleberry Finn?

I'll wait till you respond to Joan's post but I must say again it is odd that you'd give so little weight to millenia of scholarship on the issues.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

My northern sola scriptura roots are yearning to disagree there... but yes, it is more than the bible. Without it, however, it reduces to pontification (see the clever pun?) on nothing and pure subjective opinion.

How do we know that Jesus died for our sins and for us to be granted eternal life we must believe in him if not getting it from the bible? If John 3:16

QuoteFor God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

is not a true fact then the religion has no purpose. How can you tell me that is not allegory and if it is allegory how is the bible any more a guide to good behavior than Huckleberry Finn?

Because even John 3:16 isn't to be read literally.  Nobody believes that if you believe in God you will be immortal and live forever on this earth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2012, 10:00:48 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Ultimately this means that the faith says nothing concrete, which means it says nothing

Ah yes the tired old, unless you are a fundamentalist nutball you are worthless position by Viking :lol:

QuoteAll assertions have to be couched with caveats like "maybe" and "possibly" about undefined experiences like "understanding" and "experience" which are made significant with nebulous undefinable adjectives like "deep" and "profound".

In the end you end up sounding like Deepak Chopra.

Yeah well welcome to religion.  Even the Fundies spend most of their time engaging in this sort of thing not figuring out how many donkies maybe have personally known Jesus according to the Gospel of John.  But you seem to think the donkey numbering is what is valuable here...which puzzles me.

Well, yes, I agree with the Fundamentalist nutballs, as we have previously established. The religion itself (not just the bible) asserts that a god exists. This is a pretty profound assertion. The religion also makes quite specific claims about what the god likes and dislikes and how the god will reward you and for what the god will reward you and what the god demands that you do. These are all facts.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 09:59:40 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
With that argument you have just dismantled christianity itself. That is what Tamas is getting at. He like me has found it hard to reconcile two contradictory facts

one - the claim that some of the bible is allegorical and thus not factual without giving us some means of figuring out which bits are fiction and which bits are fact

two - that the christian faith says something concrete about life, the universe and everything

This is a very confused post.  Because you are confusing a particular text (the New Testament) with a particular manifestation of ordered belief (Christianity) and confusing both with relgious-based belief and faith.

Christian doctrine has lots of concrete things to say about life, the universe and everything, but while those things are influenced by the words in the Biblical text, there is not a direct one-to-one correspondence, not close.  Modern fundamentalists aside, Christians don't read the Bible as a User's Manual to God, which is sensible thing, because it is incredibly obvious that the Bible is no such thing.

Also - the claim that the Bible needs to be understand allegorically is not a claim that the Bible consists partially of facts which are literally true and others which are false but must be understood allegorically.  It is a claim that the entire Bible contains truths but to understand these truths fully and properly, the entire text must be read and understood in its allegorical as well as literal sense.

Christian doctrine is discussion of and commentaries on the bible since the bible is the primary source for the minstry of jesus and the works of the apostles who were divinely inspired. If the foundation is lacking the doctrine falls not matter how internally consistent. If Jesus did not die for our sins the whole religion is pointless. How do we know that Jesus died for our sins? The Bible. Given that much of the bible is allegory I need to know how you can tell that the Golgotha narrative is not allegorical.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

My northern sola scriptura roots are yearning to disagree there...

Sola scriptura simply means that theology can be derived entirely from a reading of the text, and without recourse to conciliar pronouncements.  It doesn't require or even suggest a literal reading, and indeed neither Luther, Zwingli, nor Calvin adopted such a reading.  Moreover; sola scriptura was not strict, at least for the Luterans who accepted the Nicaea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2012, 10:13:34 AM

I'll wait till you respond to Joan's post but I must say again it is odd that you'd give so little weight to millenia of scholarship on the issues.

I put the same weight on millennia of scholarship on this issue as I put on any other issue from astrology astronomy to alchemy chemistry.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
The idea that religions that have been around for millenia and have had millions of followers seem a little less crazy? :huh:
Why? Just because something is older doesn't mean it's better.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2012, 10:17:09 AM

Because even John 3:16 isn't to be read literally.  Nobody believes that if you believe in God you will be immortal and live forever on this earth.

Damn, that must have come as a surprise to the first and second century Christians who believed precisely that. Bodily resurrection. It's only later that this came to mean eternal life in heaven.

Razgovory

Viking is going to be a religious fanatic at some point in his life.  He has mindset for it, all it will take is the right push in that direction.  He's going to see Jesus in his toast, or have a beatific vision after having the toaster electrocute him, and then we won't be able to get him to shut up about how Christ is going to save us.  Toast may or may not be involved.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on October 25, 2012, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
The idea that religions that have been around for millenia and have had millions of followers seem a little less crazy? :huh:
Why? Just because something is older doesn't mean it's better.

I'm older then my brother, that makes me better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Far be it for me to say anything that might give some strength to Viking's absurdist reasoning, but if you come at it from the Protestant tradition it is very much about downplaying a lot of the traditional understanding of Christianity, and to re-focus directly on the Bible.

I see however that Minsky does put the limits to that Protestant approach however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 25, 2012, 10:21:54 AM

I put the same weight on millennia of scholarship on this issue as I put on any other issue from astrology astronomy to alchemy chemistry.

And philosophy?

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2012, 10:21:18 AM
Sola scriptura simply means that theology can be derived entirely from a reading of the text, and without recourse to conciliar pronouncements.  It doesn't require or even suggest a literal reading, and indeed neither Luther, Zwingli, nor Calvin adopted such a reading.  Moreover; sola scriptura was not strict, at least for the Luterans who accepted the Nicaea.
I haven't been able to find primary sources on it, but I was taught that the medieval anabaptists believed in a literal interpretation of the bible.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on October 25, 2012, 10:27:15 AM
I haven't been able to find primary sources on it, but I was taught that the medieval anabaptists believed in a literal interpretation of the bible.

As anabaptists post date the middle ages, that would be tough.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on October 24, 2012, 09:17:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 24, 2012, 08:59:37 PM
If it gets jdawg some tail, more power to him.
Um he's doing it for business now, she dumped him :P
Really?  Mormon girls have always been sorta clingy in my experience.  Once you're dating them, it takes a lot to break up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

My northern sola scriptura roots are yearning to disagree there...

I've learned not to lecture you about Judaism, you shouldn't lecture me about Lutheranism.

It means that everything must be sourced in the bible and the holy spirit helps you realize what the bible means in each case. Which is the reason protestantism immediately fractured because Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Knox, Wesley etc.etc. all understood it differently and were equally well justified in the interpretations.

Any argument for a theological interpretation must start with you pointing to a verse in the bible.