Pregnant from Rape? That's God at work, says GOP senatorial candidate.

Started by Syt, October 24, 2012, 01:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 24, 2012, 04:27:35 PM
In keeping with his views allowing you or some other chick to murder a kid would make him an accessory to murder.

Then he shouldn't be in politics in the United States. The Constitution does not allow for his beliefs to trump mine. Period. It's actually one of the few things that are clearly written out in the doc.

QuoteFirst Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Do you support legalizing prostitution, Meri? That is a much clearer instance of laws based on morality rather than rights.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2012, 04:34:19 PM
Do you support legalizing prostitution, Meri? That is a much clearer instance of laws based on morality rather than rights.

I have never understood making prostitution illegal. When I was in Junior High, I caused a scandal by writing an essay for legalizing it. I still believe that it should be legal, for a whole host of reasons, but starting with the fact that the body belongs to the self, and therefore should be allowed to be used in whatever fashion the self determines is acceptable.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:38:36 PM

I have never understood making prostitution illegal. When I was in Junior High, I caused a scandal by writing an essay for legalizing it. I still believe that it should be legal, for a whole host of reasons, but starting with the fact that the body belongs to the self, and therefore should be allowed to be used in whatever fashion the self determines is acceptable.

Did your body tell you that? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Ok, good, your position is consistent.

However, if you take the proposition that the fetus is a human life, which this fellow has, it opens the door for banning abortion on the basis of rights rather than morality. You don't ban abortion because it's wrong, but because it hurts another person. Same reason you outlaw murder, theft, and rape.

Darth Wagtaros

Partly because the large numbers of young people who are forced into selling their bodies.  For every Hooker With A Heart of Gold there is probably a thousand drugged up desperate children who are whored out by their families or ganglord.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 24, 2012, 04:54:49 PM

Partly because the large numbers of young people who are forced into selling their bodies.  For every Hooker With A Heart of Gold there is probably a thousand drugged up desperate children who are whored out by their families or ganglord.

And how do prohibitions on prostitution stop that? Seems like it'd be easier to have laws (as I believe we do) that you can't force someone to sell themselves for sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
Ok, good, your position is consistent.

However, if you take the proposition that the fetus is a human life, which this fellow has, it opens the door for banning abortion on the basis of rights rather than morality. You don't ban abortion because it's wrong, but because it hurts another person. Same reason you outlaw murder, theft, and rape.

Except that he's invoked his religion to support his claim.

merithyn

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point is that a person should be allowed to do with their own body what they want. That is not the same as it being legal to coerce another, which is what you're describing. What you're talking about is already illegal, especially when you're talking about children.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

Non-religious folks also frequently base their political beliefs on their sense of morality, one needs to either divorce the process from morality altogether or accept that religion will influence it.

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2012, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 05:00:17 PM

Non-religious folks also frequently base their political beliefs on their sense of morality, one needs to either divorce the process from morality altogether or accept that religion will influence it.

The thing is, I could decide that it is part of my religious faith that only women have the moral capacity to make a decision regarding their own bodies, including and especially during pregnancy. I could find passages in the Bible to support it (because you can find passages in the Bible to support just about anything), I could find followers to support it, and I could even write a book explaining why I believe what I believe.

Anyone can decide on any morals they want, use religion to justify it, and so long as they have enough people willing to back them, it can become law. That doesn't make it right. That doesn't mean that it won't infringe on another person's religion.

DGuller

It's not clear at all to me that prohibition makes the situation better.  In fact, it usually makes such matters worse.  Once you put something that's in demand outside of law, you're giving advantage to organized crime.

Phillip V

Quote from: Fate on October 24, 2012, 08:43:01 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 24, 2012, 01:10:05 AM
Provide free and immediate emergency contraception to rape victims, but I am leaning towards banning abortions in most cases after perhaps 6-10 weeks.
Why 6-10 weeks and not at conception?
Many eggs do not survive after being fertilized. They are "naturally" aborted. But 6-10 weeks after conception, the fetus is likely to progress to live birth. Thus, that seems like a reasonable cutoff point to me. IMO, an induced abortion after that time period is killing a person, i.e. preventing a statistically likely live birth.

Martinus

Well, to be honest, the entire Christian faith is built on the premise of an involuntary sex with a 13 y.o. girl. The Original Rape, if you will.

Speaking of which, if God has always been the Holy Trinity, does it mean Mary was gang-raped by her own son?

Theology makes my head hurt.

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2012, 12:52:06 AM
Well, to be honest, the entire Christian faith is built on the premise of an involuntary sex with a 13 y.o. girl. The Original Rape, if you will.

Speaking of which, if God has always been the Holy Trinity, does it mean Mary was gang-raped by her own son?

Theology makes my head hurt.
Draw a picture and post it here.