Pregnant from Rape? That's God at work, says GOP senatorial candidate.

Started by Syt, October 24, 2012, 01:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count

the Mark Clayton thing is incredible; they had a competitive election for the same seat just six years ago.

So I don't really think that what Mourdock said was that bad. It seems like just saying "it was all part of God's plan," not condoning rape.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

garbon

Quote from: Count on October 24, 2012, 12:51:51 PM
So I don't really think that what Mourdock said was that bad. It seems like just saying "it was all part of God's plan," not condoning rape.

Most people don't like the suggestion that God's plan includes getting raped.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 12:57:39 PM

:rolleyes:

That's not what he is saying.  He is saying that God's plan is "Oh damn, that lady got raped due to that guy's free will.  I will make it better by giving her a baby!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2012, 08:20:49 AM
Well, whose work is it then?  The only other candidate is Devil.

That's one of the fundamental flaws of monotheism right? God is omnipotent, so the rape could not possibly have happened unless he was okay with it.

Count

right, but to me it sounds the same as someone saying "it was all part of God's plan" after a family tragedy. it's not that they're happy about mom getting cancer and dying

Count

for example, I was randomly reading this article (someone linked it on facebook):

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/autumn_pasquale_death_2_teen_b.html

which is about a horrible crime. The murdered girl's great-uncle: "We believe she is where God wanted her to be," Spadafora said. "So the ending here is sad, but for the relatives that have greeted her in Heaven, it's a happy day."

garbon

Quote from: PDH on October 24, 2012, 01:03:01 PM

That's not what he is saying.  He is saying that God's plan is "Oh damn, that lady got raped due to that guy's free will.  I will make it better by giving her a baby!"

Oh, okay. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Count on October 24, 2012, 01:15:31 PM

right, but to me it sounds the same as someone saying "it was all part of God's plan" after a family tragedy. it's not that they're happy about mom getting cancer and dying

People don't generally use the latter to justify whether or not a person should have their actions restricted (in this case - God intended for you to have the baby so no rights for you!).

garbon

Quote from: Count on October 24, 2012, 01:20:48 PM
for example, I was randomly reading this article (someone linked it on facebook):

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/autumn_pasquale_death_2_teen_b.html

which is about a horrible crime. The murdered girl's great-uncle: "We believe she is where God wanted her to be," Spadafora said. "So the ending here is sad, but for the relatives that have greeted her in Heaven, it's a happy day."

I think it'd be similar if say that was used as justification for why the murder should get to profit from book sales about the crime.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 01:22:51 PM

I liked your version better.  Old Testamenty fresh.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2012, 01:26:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 01:22:51 PM

I liked your version better.  Old Testamenty fresh.

My response to PDH was more laughing at home absurd that is. :D

Syt

Tha New Yorker agrees. :P

QuoteIs Mourdock's God an absent-minded God, who allows rapes to occur when he is looking in the other direction, and then rushes in to make the best of it? Mourdock almost suggest that he is a God with narrow powers, a sort of fertility deity conjured up by the circumstances of conception, who either does or doesn't make it happen. The logical extensions lead nowhere. How do we know that it wasn't God's will that the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade the way it did? The national discussion on a woman's right to choose has arrived at the level of kindergarten theodicy.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2012/10/richard-mourdock-god-and-rape.html#ixzz2AFLurnmA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Romney still endorses the guy, but really, what else can he do? If he wants to take the Senate, this imbecile will help get him there.

QuoteRepublican Mitt Romney's campaign says he still supports Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock after Mourdock said "God intended" pregnancies that result from rape. The campaign has not asked Mourdock to pull a TV ad featuring Romney.

Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said Wednesday Romney disagrees with Mourdock's opposition to abortion in cases of rape and incest. But she says Romney still supports Mourdock's bid. Romney himself has not commented.

I kind of feel like Mourdock is keeping with his view of his religion. I really can't fault him for that. What bothers me about it is that by trying to force his vision into law, he's trying to force me into abiding by the laws of HIS religion with no regard for my own beliefs. I'm fairly certain the Bill of Rights strictly prohibits that. I don't understand how Romney - someone who claims to believe in the Constitution above all else - clears that with his conscience.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:25:36 PM
Romney still endorses the guy, but really, what else can he do? If he wants to take the Senate, this imbecile will help get him there.

QuoteRepublican Mitt Romney's campaign says he still supports Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock after Mourdock said "God intended" pregnancies that result from rape. The campaign has not asked Mourdock to pull a TV ad featuring Romney.

Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said Wednesday Romney disagrees with Mourdock's opposition to abortion in cases of rape and incest. But she says Romney still supports Mourdock's bid. Romney himself has not commented.

I kind of feel like Mourdock is keeping with his view of his religion. I really can't fault him for that. What bothers me about it is that by trying to force his vision into law, he's trying to force me into abiding by the laws of HIS religion with no regard for my own beliefs. I'm fairly certain the Bill of Rights strictly prohibits that. I don't understand how Romney - someone who claims to believe in the Constitution above all else - clears that with his conscience.
In keeping with his views allowing you or some other chick to murder a kid would make him an accessory to murder.
PDH!