News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Existential Ennui of the First Order

Started by Camerus, October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 09:06:49 AM
I found one of my mixtapes last year at Christmas. I vowed that I'll listen to its awfulness this year when I go back. :D

LOL, stupid mix tapes.  I had tons of them.

Now I want to re-read High Fidelity.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2012, 09:15:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 09:06:49 AM
I found one of my mixtapes last year at Christmas. I vowed that I'll listen to its awfulness this year when I go back. :D

LOL, stupid mix tapes.  I had tons of them.

Now I want to re-read High Fidelity.

That freaking book led to me thinking it was a good idea to make someone a mix cd once. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 09:22:59 AM
That freaking book led to me thinking it was a good idea to make someone a mix cd once. -_-

They never appreciate it as much as you did in making it.  That's the great pitfall of gift mixes.  :(

Jacob

1: If you get existential ennui with some frequency and you drink with some frequency, I suggest cutting down on the drinking. The two things reinforce each other fairly effectively.

2: Lots of internet use isn't too helpful either.

3: Physical exercise, on the other hand helps, both during and afterwards.

4: Make sure you get enough sleep and eat at least somewhat decently and regularly. It makes a difference.

5: Investing in someone else's wellbeing and happiness helps. Traditional options include kids or a significant other, but a pet or parents are good too. Alternately, you can find some deserving strangers to help out.

6: Call your mom. Tell her that you love her. Maybe dad too.

7: Increase your level of social activities. Make a bit more small talk with strangers, be a little nicer to the people around you; find the people you enjoy hanging out with and suggest common activities so you spend more time with them. Humans are social creatures and if you end up having little social contact, many other things will start seeming pointless even if they're not directly related.

8: Do something mildly aggravating but constructive... clean your place up and do the dishes. It's something to do, and it's not like you're really enjoying not doing them; once the house is cleaner, you'll feel a little bit better about everything, guaranteed. Small victories matter.

9: Deliberately cultivate positive thinking. When you start deeply wondering "what's the point" tell yourself "it doesn't matter, it's a nice day/ I achieved this minor victory/ I really need to get this other thing done/ I really like the new shirt that I bought/ can't wait to cook some dinner/ [whatever else that's either practical or positive]."

10: When the ennui gets the roughest, indulge a bit to get over the roughest patch (but don't make indulging the answer to your existential question).

11: Get some project to work towards... a magnum opus, sure; that or getting rich, or starting a business, or learn a new skill, or step your education up. I'd recommend focusing on the first, immediate, and achievable step rather than get caught up in how awesome it's going to be when you've already succeeded and trying to get to the finish line in one jump.

Existence only has the meaning we put into it, so it's up to you to pack some content in. Personally, I think many small things are the way to go - start with "be a positive influence on what's around me, enjoy the pleasures that I can" is a pretty solid foundation. The bigger things will come from that.

Personally I'd suggest giving a really solid go at learning Chinese (unless you're already perfectly fluent, of course); in particular, I'd say enroll in a class. First off, getting into a class will expand your social circle; secondly, better Chinese will increase your social opportunities; third, being a white guy fluent in Chinese is a pretty marketable upgrade, both in China and back in the West; fourth, it'll give you something to occupy you other than fretting about the meaning of existence.

The point of life is living, that's about it. That and the content you pack into it. So pack some content in.

Grallon

I recommend a combination of regular alcohol and escapist entertainment intake Pathos. :thumbsup:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 18, 2012, 11:28:48 AM

I recommend a combination of regular alcohol and escapist entertainment intake Pathos. :thumbsup:

G.

So that he'll sink into further depression?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

So to echo Jacob and cancel out the jokesters - cut down or out the drinking. I think you'd already mentioned something about that before - so I think that's a no-brainer.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 11:33:39 AM

Oh eventually you reach a functional plateau - or is it ceiling?  Or floor?  Mind you it may not work as outlined for everyone.  Without knowing more about what induces these feelings in Pathos I can't offer a more informed opinion.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grinning_Colossus

Seriously, either ennui is just a really pretentious form of boredom, or I've never experienced it at all. I mean, there's always *something* to do - something worth doing. I really enjoy life and existing. It's the existential terror surrounding the inevitability of death and oblivion that gets me.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 18, 2012, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 11:33:39 AM

Oh eventually you reach a functional plateau - or is it ceiling?  Or floor?  Mind you it may not work as outlined for everyone.  Without knowing more about what induces these feelings in Pathos I can't offer a more informed opinion.

G.

Generally drinking is not a good idea when you are depressed.

Jacob

Grinning_Colossus

If ennui = depression, Jacob's advice is extremely good. Social integration, especially finding meaning and motivation in caring for others, is definitely the best way to deal with that.

Grallon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 18, 2012, 11:55:37 AM
... It's the existential terror surrounding the inevitability of death and oblivion that gets me.

That's the whole point of course.  And it is inextricably tied to the 'ennui' referred to.  In fact I believe it's the source of it. 

Now one can choose whatever form of 'agitation' one wishes to engage in to shake off that feeling of futility - whether it is getting rich, becoming famous, raising a family, having multiple affairs, creating Art or getting slammed regularly - in the end it all amounts to the same thing: avoiding death.  Yet death is inevitable and will catch up with everyone. 

And those who pretend that their particular form of agitation is somewhat more valuable or honorable or desirable than that of others are merely displaying the most typical and detestable of human traits: conceit and self delusion.

G.

~Jean-François Revel