POTUS Debate II: The Empire Strikes Back at the Wrath of Electric Mittensaloo

Started by CountDeMoney, October 15, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

So to kind of get back on topic, I just found this tidbit about the "binders full of women" that Romney allegedly requested:

Link

QuoteBefore the end of the debate, the 'binders full of women' comment had gone viral, spawning a Twitter storm, graphics on Tumblr, and a Facebook page with almost 260,000 fans at time of press. The phrase was also the third-fastest rising search on Google during the debate.

Here's what actually happened: A group of Massachusetts women's advocates called MassGAP collaborated on identifying women qualified to assume senior government positions before Romney even took office, according to David Bernstein and others familiar with the binders Romney is describing. The women's group took the initiative to deliver the data to Romney; he did not request it as he indicated in the debate. Bernstein writes:

"[MassGAP] did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected. I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I've checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I've just presented it is correct – and that Romney's claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false."

Now, you can't really blame Mitt if they're handing him stuff before he gets a chance to ask. At the same time, he doesn't get to claim credit for it as proof that he's all about equality in the workplace, either.

The same article (on a very liberal website and with other, spurious claims attached), it mentioned that under Romney, the number of women in high-ranking positions actually went down from the previous administration, from 30% women to 27.6%. That's a pretty small amount, in my opinion, to quibble over, and seems hardly worth mentioning. This next part, though, does seem a bit more telling:

QuoteBain Capital, the company Romney headed for more than 15 years, counts only 8% women among its 87 managing directors and senior executives — meaning the company appoints males to senior positions 92% of the time.

I guess he didn't have the MassGAP chicks to do his work for him there. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Mitt could have been stretching the truth a little.  But I don't trust this MassGAP group, either.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

So you won't highlight the fact that binders of women actually existed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 11:23:25 PM
Mitt could have been stretching the truth a little.  But I don't trust this MassGAP group, either.

I'm not sure why one shouldn't trust them as they do talk about Romney on their own site - in a positive light.

As to Meri's claim about Bain...so she spends a lot of time talking about women not pushing for higher paying positions but then suddenly its on Romney when they aren't in those higher paying positions? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2012, 11:16:56 PM
So to kind of get back on topic, I just found this tidbit about the "binders full of women" that Romney allegedly requested:

Link

QuoteBefore the end of the debate, the 'binders full of women' comment had gone viral, spawning a Twitter storm, graphics on Tumblr, and a Facebook page with almost 260,000 fans at time of press. The phrase was also the third-fastest rising search on Google during the debate.

Here's what actually happened: A group of Massachusetts women's advocates called MassGAP collaborated on identifying women qualified to assume senior government positions before Romney even took office, according to David Bernstein and others familiar with the binders Romney is describing. The women's group took the initiative to deliver the data to Romney; he did not request it as he indicated in the debate. Bernstein writes:

"[MassGAP] did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected. I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I've checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I've just presented it is correct – and that Romney's claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false."

Now, you can't really blame Mitt if they're handing him stuff before he gets a chance to ask. At the same time, he doesn't get to claim credit for it as proof that he's all about equality in the workplace, either.

The same article (on a very liberal website and with other, spurious claims attached), it mentioned that under Romney, the number of women in high-ranking positions actually went down from the previous administration, from 30% women to 27.6%. That's a pretty small amount, in my opinion, to quibble over, and seems hardly worth mentioning. This next part, though, does seem a bit more telling:

QuoteBain Capital, the company Romney headed for more than 15 years, counts only 8% women among its 87 managing directors and senior executives — meaning the company appoints males to senior positions 92% of the time.

I guess he didn't have the MassGAP chicks to do his work for him there. :(

Woman, we are talking about spoons!  This can wait.

I thought that Tea Spoons were the long ones, used for stirring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

From Wiki

A teaspoon, an item of cutlery, is a small spoon, commonly part of a silverware (usually silver plated, German silver or now, stainless steel) place setting, suitable for stirring and sipping the contents of a cup of tea or coffee. Utilitarian versions are used for measuring.
Teaspoons with longer handles, such as iced tea spoons, are commonly used also for ice cream desserts or floats. Similar spoons include the tablespoon and the dessert spoon, the latter intermediate in size between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, used in eating dessert and sometimes soup or cereals. Much less common is the coffee spoon, which is a smaller version of the teaspoon. Another teaspoon, called an orange spoon (in American English: grapefruit spoon), tapers to a sharp point or teeth, and is used to separate citrus fruits from their membranes. A bar spoon, equivalent to a teaspoon, is used in measuring ingredients for mixed drinks.
A container designed to hold extra teaspoons, called a spooner, usually in a set with a covered sugar container, formed a part of Victorian table service.
The teaspoon is first mentioned in an advertisement in an 1686 edition of the London Gazette.[1][2]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2012, 11:25:33 PM
So you won't highlight the fact that binders of women actually existed?

You can't put women in binders, only small chunks of them will fit!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2012, 08:45:46 AM
From Wiki

A teaspoon, an item of cutlery, is a small spoon, commonly part of a silverware (usually silver plated, German silver or now, stainless steel) place setting, suitable for stirring and sipping the contents of a cup of tea or coffee. Utilitarian versions are used for measuring.
Teaspoons with longer handles, such as iced tea spoons, are commonly used also for ice cream desserts or floats. Similar spoons include the tablespoon and the dessert spoon, the latter intermediate in size between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, used in eating dessert and sometimes soup or cereals. Much less common is the coffee spoon, which is a smaller version of the teaspoon. Another teaspoon, called an orange spoon (in American English: grapefruit spoon), tapers to a sharp point or teeth, and is used to separate citrus fruits from their membranes. A bar spoon, equivalent to a teaspoon, is used in measuring ingredients for mixed drinks.
A container designed to hold extra teaspoons, called a spooner, usually in a set with a covered sugar container, formed a part of Victorian table service.
The teaspoon is first mentioned in an advertisement in an 1686 edition of the London Gazette.[1][2]

Sounds like nearly everything is a teaspoon, except when it is not.

Razgovory

CountDeMoney

It's supposed to be Obama's Binder for the next four years.  With nothing in it, of course.

Notice how it's black?  I did.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 09:09:23 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2012, 08:45:46 AM
From Wiki

Sounds like nearly everything is a teaspoon, except when it is not.

Yeah..basically any spoon that's not your basic large soup spoon
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 18, 2012, 09:14:10 AM
It's supposed to be Obama's Binder for the next four years.  With nothing in it, of course.

Notice how it's black?  I did.

I remember reading a book as a child that when on about why is it that pages are always white.

I think it was this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Snowman-Blue-Ribbon-Book/dp/0590448730

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2012, 09:35:29 AM
Pages are white with dark print because that's easier to read.

No.  Because the white devils made it so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall