Texas Schools Are Forcing Kids To Wear RFID Chips. Is That a Privacy Invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on October 16, 2012, 04:42:41 PM
Quote from: Brazen on October 15, 2012, 06:41:52 AM
Is this worse than being required to carry ID at all time, unlike civilised parts of the world?

Definitely. You use a regular ID to vote, pay with a credit card, act as a witness in a courthouse and such. You might even be asked to identify yourself by a police officer (I've never been).

But it cannot be tracked. It can't be used to build a profile.

But as others pointed out, the question is whether inefficiency of the current system is one of its fundamental qualities or is it just a secondary quality that does not effect the assessment of the system vis-a-vis its compliance with stuff like human rights and liberties.

I mean under the current system, you could imagine the state hiring millions of cops to identify everyone every 100 metres or so, and amass that data to effectively be able to track anyone anywhere. The only reason we don't do it is that it would be impossible or at least nightmarishly ineffective.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 05:47:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2012, 05:40:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 05:32:29 PM
And I already spoke to that to. I'm finding it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no mercy for someone who lost their cord and our accidentally damaged theirs - things that would be likely to happen with children.

Fine, we can do it the Harvard University way:  first lost badge in a year is free, 2nd replacement badge in a calendar year is $20, and each subsequent one after that is more, more, and more.

Except this are not college students. They haven't even managed the level of (im)maturity of your Havard undergrad.

Besides the fact that lost can also cover left at home, left on bus, left in locker, etc.  I had non-chipped ID badges during my last years of high school and they were a joke as you could always find someone to take pity on you.

Actually pretty similar in college too with the same pity story.

I don't see how any of this contradicts what CdM said. Children lose stuff all the time - that does not mean that parents are not asked to pay for it.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2012, 01:15:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 05:47:50 PM
And I already spoke to that to. I'm finding it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no mercy for someone who lost their cord and our accidentally damaged theirs - things that would be likely to happen with children.

Fine, we can do it the Harvard University way:  first lost badge in a year is free, 2nd replacement badge in a calendar year is $20, and each subsequent one after that is more, more, and more.

Except this are not college students. They haven't even managed the level of (im)maturity of your Havard undergrad.

Besides the fact that lost can also cover left at home, left on bus, left in locker, etc.  I had non-chipped ID badges during my last years of high school and they were a joke as you could always find someone to take pity on you.

Actually pretty similar in college too with the same pity story.

I don't see how any of this contradicts what CdM said. Children lose stuff all the time - that does not mean that parents are not asked to pay for it.

In pretty much none of the cases I listed did anyone pay for anything.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 17, 2012, 12:52:26 AM
Yes, but that would be from a god we are equally sure does not exist. I am not a christian and neither are you. I deny the holy spirit, so do you. When it comes to Gods who send people to hell we are equally Atheist :contract: , though technically I am less of one since I do not go that one step further and assert that some other Religion is true.

Hell I agree seems a bit sketchy.
But the Old Testament is very big on smiting of blasphemers and sinners, and unless Abraham is hired as defense counsel, collateral damage can be quite significant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 18, 2012, 11:44:23 AM
Yes, but that would be from a god we are equally sure does not exist. I am not a christian and neither are you. I deny the holy spirit, so do you. When it comes to Gods who send people to hell we are equally Atheist :contract: , though technically I am less of one since I do not go that one step further and assert that some other Religion is true.

But the Old Testament is very big on smiting of blasphemers and sinners, and unless Abraham is hired as defense counsel, collateral damage can be quite significant.

Maybe we read different OTs. Mine doesn't have much smiting by god of individual blasphemers and sinners. He commands the israelites to smite the blasphemers and sinners. God didn't do individual sinners, he did cities and planets. I'm pretty sure that I will not be in the same place as the righteous that follow the command to smite. I'm pretty sure my marginal amount of sinning and blaspheming is not the straw that breaks the deity's back and wipes out mankind or my city. The only individuals that god took time out of his busy schedule to fuck with were the faithful job, who's life he fucked up (not to mention his anonymous wife and kids) and the faithful abraham, who suffered the worst april fools joke in history.

So, not I'm not worried.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

This is how I did it at the middle school I worked at. First replacement: Free. Second: $1. Third: $3. Fourth and all others: $5. To a middle schooler, that's a lot of money.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I wouldn't want to stand next to him for the simple reason that he might get a very mortal smiting if he is harps on religion that way in person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 02:59:24 PM

I wouldn't want to stand next to him for the simple reason that he might get a very mortal smiting if he is harps on religion that way in person.

Yeah, only a true believer would hurt somebody for insulting religion.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't want to stand next to him because he'd make me look short.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

DontSayBanana

On the flip side of the coin, you could stand next to me and look tall.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 18, 2012, 03:14:48 PM

Lecturing someone about how you don't respect them is a good way to get punched in the chops.  There is a reason why you don't discuss religion or politics in polite society.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 04:00:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 18, 2012, 03:14:48 PM

Lecturing someone about how you don't respect them is a good way to get punched in the chops.  There is a reason why you don't discuss religion or politics in polite society.

I'm not the one threatening with violence. :contract:

Razgovory