Texas Schools Are Forcing Kids To Wear RFID Chips. Is That a Privacy Invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 07:12:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 06:54:04 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 06:52:12 AM
Lockers are the school's property, your person is not.

The school ID is also the school's property, and the wearing of it is a condition of being on school property.  So there you go.

Which doesn't really make sense as is it is mandatory to go to school.

There lots of other conditions for being on school property.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

As someone who's worked with RFID technology and how it tiers into access control with both physical and logical access and asset tracking, I can assure everyone that their concerns are ill warranted.  :ph34r:

The high school bitching is hilarious, considering how the collegiate and university level has moved forward with it for the last several years, from access to meal plans to time and attendance records, and how it has proliferated in the government and private sector employment arena.

Mark of the beast, lulz.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 07:21:27 AM
As someone who's worked with RFID technology and how it tiers into access control with both physical and logical access and asset tracking, I can assure everyone that their concerns are ill warranted.  :ph34r:

The high school bitching is hilarious, considering how the collegiate and university level has moved forward with it for the last several years, from access to meal plans to time and attendance records, and how it has proliferated in the government and private sector employment arena.

Mark of the beast, lulz.

No what it is is a waste of money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 07:14:40 AM

The school ID is also the school's property, and the wearing of it is a condition of being on school property.  So there you go.

Most of which are focused on making sure students aren't disruptive. This type of ID can't appeal to that reasoning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 08:38:24 AM

Most of which are focused on making sure students aren't disruptive. This type of ID can't appeal to that reasoning.

If being able to prove which students were at the location of a disruption can't be used to reduce disruption then I don't know what can.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 08:41:19 AM

If being able to prove which students were at the location of a disruption can't be used to reduce disruption then I don't know what can.

I can't speak for Texas - but where I went to school, this would be a big waste of funds. They couldn't even manage our regular ID cards properly.

CountDeMoney

Nonsense.  RFID can determine who made it out of the building during a fire alarm or mass-shooting evacuation, for example.

I bet you'd have no problem with it if they needed it to vote, though.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 08:44:46 AM

Nonsense.  RFID can determine who made it out of the building during a fire alarm or mass-shooting evacuation, for example.

I bet you'd have no problem with it if they needed it to vote, though.

The fact that this makes a good slippery slope argument against the voting ID requirement doesn't explain why you'd oppose that yet support this. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I think you rate the competence of school staff too highly.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 08:48:52 AM
The fact that this makes a good slippery slope argument against the voting ID requirement doesn't explain why you'd oppose that yet support this. :unsure:

Who says I don't support voter ID laws?  I don't have that much of a problem with them:  I just don't support them being rushed into law for the purposes of reengineering a specific election at the last minute to disenfranchise specific voter bases in a specific election. 

Plenty of states have adopted them with the appropriate ramp up, education and administrative and cost support over a 2 year or 4 year timeline.  No problem with that.  Gives people plenty of time to do what they need to do, instead of a rush job designed specifically to getting the Kenyan Secularist Muslim Commie Nazi out of Der Weiss Haus.

RFID in schools, on the other hand, is no big deal.  Especially when students don't have a legal right to privacy in most respects anyway. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 08:50:31 AM

I think you rate the importance of rights of snot-nosed kids too highly.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 09:00:21 AM

I think you rate the importance of rights of snot-nosed kids too highly.

I don't really care that much about rights. I think more important is schools not wasting money when they don't even have the budget for adequate teaching staff and so called extras like arts programs.

Viking

In fire drills during my school career school staff managed a near 100% success rate at determining this with attendance sheets. It just took an hour, rather than 10 seconds.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:06:31 AM

In fire drills during my school career school staff managed a near 100% success rate at determining this with attendance sheets. It just took an hour, rather than 10 seconds.

That's nice. Wasn't the case at my school. What with kids sneaking off campus at various points in the day, missing the initial period when they took attendance, not bothering to participate in the fire drill, etc.