Texas Schools Are Forcing Kids To Wear RFID Chips. Is That a Privacy Invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:07:41 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:06:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 08:50:31 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 08:44:46 AM
Nonsense.  RFID can determine who made it out of the building during a fire alarm or mass-shooting evacuation, for example.

I think you rate the competence of school staff too highly.

In fire drills during my school career school staff managed a near 100% success rate at determining this with attendance sheets. It just took an hour, rather than 10 seconds.

That's nice. Wasn't the case at my school. What with kids sneaking off campus at various points in the day, missing the initial period when they took attendance, not bothering to participate in the fire drill, etc.

RFID tags means they won't be doing that anymore :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:09:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:07:41 AM
Nonsense.  RFID can determine who made it out of the building during a fire alarm or mass-shooting evacuation, for example.

In fire drills during my school career school staff managed a near 100% success rate at determining this with attendance sheets. It just took an hour, rather than 10 seconds.

That's nice. Wasn't the case at my school. What with kids sneaking off campus at various points in the day, missing the initial period when they took attendance, not bothering to participate in the fire drill, etc.

RFID tags means they won't be doing that anymore :contract:

Disagree. My school seemed incapable of using any of the technology they had.  Hey, maybe schools in Texas are much more on top of things - but I know if it was at my school, there would have been inevitable tech breakdowns or easy ways that kids would find to get around this monitoring system.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Count

The idea of tracking kids is really gross. While we're at it, we shouldn't have mandatory drug testing for extra curricular activities. Or Voting ID laws.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Zanza

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 15, 2012, 08:04:17 AM
Is there a Constitutional righ tto privacy?

Probably more accurate to say that there are constitional rights to privacy.

FWIW I agree with Viking.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 15, 2012, 11:30:41 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 15, 2012, 08:04:17 AM
Is there a Constitutional righ tto privacy?

Probably more accurate to say that there are constitional rights to privacy.

FWIW I agree with Viking.

When you say it like that you make it sound like you think that's a bad thing   :hmm:

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 12:14:47 PM
When you say it like that you make it sound like you think that's a bad thing   :hmm:

It makes me nervous given that you are going straight to hell.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

My freshman year, my high school managed to get students 100% evacuated in under the time set as the goal in fire drills. Of course, this was because we didn't actually have any fire drills that year, the principal just submitted made-up number on the reports showing that we were conducting them. 

I can guarantee that we'd never get 100% evacuated if we had these IDs.  We'd deliberately leave the IDs in the classrooms while we exited the building, maybe even hide them so that the teacher couldn't go get them and bring them outside with us.  Of course, even leaving out those of us who would have deliberatedly screwed with the system, we had a few students who would have truly accidentally left their IDs behind when the fire alarm went off.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2012, 04:21:42 PM

My freshman year, my high school managed to get students 100% evacuated in under the time set as the goal in fire drills. Of course, this was because we didn't actually have any fire drills that year, the principal just submitted made-up number on the reports showing that we were conducting them. 

I can guarantee that we'd never get 100% evacuated if we had these IDs.  We'd deliberately leave the IDs in the classrooms while we exited the building, maybe even hide them so that the teacher couldn't go get them and bring them outside with us.  Of course, even leaving out those of us who would have deliberatedly screwed with the system, we had a few students who would have truly accidentally left their IDs behind when the fire alarm went off.

I've had jobs where I'd usually just leave my ID tag sitting on my desk - even when I worked for a nuclear company and that ID tag also contained a radiation monitor.

BUT... if you link the ID tag to things you need to use, then you'll carry it automatically.  If you need your ID tag to get lunch, or enter the library or the locker room, then compliance becomes easy.

By the way - I also agree with Viking's position in this thread. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2012, 04:26:06 PM
BUT... if you link the ID tag to things you need to use, then you'll carry it automatically.  If you need your ID tag to get lunch, or enter the library or the locker room, then compliance becomes easy.

I don't think so. People will inevitably take pity upon you if you can't locate your ID.  We were supposed to show ours to get into library, but if you didn't have it - all you stood to get one a small talking to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 15, 2012, 03:41:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 12:14:47 PM

It makes me nervous given that you are going straight to hell.   ;)

Jews believe in hell?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2012, 04:21:42 PM

The hour was spent synchronizing lists with all us kids freezing our asses off jacketless in -20 deg C, not the actual evacuation. If some kid had been left inside and the building was actually on fire and needed saving he'd be dead.