Texas Schools Are Forcing Kids To Wear RFID Chips. Is That a Privacy Invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Actually focusing specifically on the criminal law, the situation is almost exactly the opposite from what Martinus thinks in the colonial and early independence period.  Criminal law was usually codified and there were a lot of it - because the colonies and early state regimes had a penchant for moral legislation and regulation of vice.  Compared to England, the American colonies and states were quicker to adopt public enforcement of criminal law, although effectiveness varied across space and time.   Punishments tended to be measurably less severe than in the English system, and as Viking correctly notes, reform movements had strong support in early America.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2012, 04:12:23 PM
Actually focusing specifically on the criminal law, the situation is almost exactly the opposite from what Martinus thinks in the colonial and early independence period.  Criminal law was usually codified and there were a lot of it - because the colonies and early state regimes had a penchant for moral legislation and regulation of vice.  Compared to England, the American colonies and states were quicker to adopt public enforcement of criminal law, although effectiveness varied across space and time.   Punishments tended to be measurably less severe than in the English system, and as Viking correctly notes, reform movements had strong support in early America.

Yeah, for example poaching was still a capital offense until 1850 or so in Britian.

Razgovory

It still kind of bothers me that Marty is lawyer and doesn't actually know much about law.  It'd be like if Viking was under the impression that undersea oil drilling was done primarily with shovels, picks and dynamite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2012, 04:12:23 PM

Can't explain the foundation of American collective empiricism to many Euros, Yanksky.  It's an alien concept to them.

Iormlund

Quote from: Brazen on October 15, 2012, 06:41:52 AM
Is this worse than being required to carry ID at all time, unlike civilised parts of the world?

Definitely. You use a regular ID to vote, pay with a credit card, act as a witness in a courthouse and such. You might even be asked to identify yourself by a police officer (I've never been).

But it cannot be tracked. It can't be used to build a profile.

Zanza

Well, we rarely talk about EU M&A or antitrust law or whatever he works on, so for all we know, he could be an expert in his field of expertise. American criminal law does not seem to be his field of expertise though.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2012, 04:42:53 PM
Well, we rarely talk about EU M&A or antitrust law or whatever he works on, so for all we know, he could be an expert in his field of expertise. American criminal law does not seem to be his field of expertise though.

This.  I have no trouble imagining he knows a lot about EU antitrust law - but he feels free to opine on a lot of subjects well outside his field of expertise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Honestly, how soon before the kids figure out how to disable the chips anyway...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 05:27:36 PM
Honestly, how soon before the kids figure out how to disable the chips anyway...

:hug:

Yep, I already brought that up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

You kill the entire card that way.  If it's being used for other purposes like access control, meals, vending, etc., whole thing's busted.

$75 replacement card fee, billed to your parents.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2012, 05:30:44 PM

You kill the entire card that way.  If it's being used for other purposes like access control, meals, vending, etc., whole thing's busted.

$75 replacement card fee, billed to your parents.

And I already spoke to that to. I'm finding it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no mercy for someone who lost their cord and our accidentally damaged theirs - things that would be likely to happen with children.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 05:32:29 PM
And I already spoke to that to. I'm finding it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no mercy for someone who lost their cord and our accidentally damaged theirs - things that would be likely to happen with children.

Fine, we can do it the Harvard University way:  first lost badge in a year is free, 2nd replacement badge in a calendar year is $20, and each subsequent one after that is more, more, and more.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2012, 05:40:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 05:32:29 PM

Fine, we can do it the Harvard University way:  first lost badge in a year is free, 2nd replacement badge in a calendar year is $20, and each subsequent one after that is more, more, and more.

Except this are not college students. They haven't even managed the level of (im)maturity of your Havard undergrad.

Besides the fact that lost can also cover left at home, left on bus, left in locker, etc.  I had non-chipped ID badges during my last years of high school and they were a joke as you could always find someone to take pity on you.

Actually pretty similar in college too with the same pity story.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2012, 03:45:14 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2012, 01:53:26 PM
Exactly what risk are you taking here then?

Of being in the general vicinity when the awesome power of celestrial wrath is visited upon you as divine vengeance for your notorious blasphemy.

Yes, but that would be from a god we are equally sure does not exist. I am not a christian and neither are you. I deny the holy spirit, so do you. When it comes to Gods who send people to hell we are equally Atheist :contract: , though technically I am less of one since I do not go that one step further and assert that some other Religion is true.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2012, 04:54:54 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2012, 04:42:53 PM

This.  I have no trouble imagining he knows a lot about EU antitrust law - but he feels free to opine on a lot of subjects well outside his field of expertise.

Well, I do not claim my opinion on these topics is better because I'm a lawyer - so not sure why this is being constantly used against me.