News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Red Bull space jump

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 14, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
Big deal. I once ate 20 bowls of chili in one setting.

That is pretty risky.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Not offically confirmed gps data show he achieved:

QuoteThe jump in numbers
Exit altitude: 128,100ft; 39,045m
Total jump duration: 9'03"
Freefall time: 4'20"
Freefall distance 119,846ft; 36,529m
Max velocity: 833.9mph; 1,342.8km/h; Mach 1.24

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19943590

Nearly Mach 1.25, I don't think that was achieved until the early 50s by a piloted aircraft.   

edit:
even later than I thought, he would have beaten the record set in 1955 by and F100 super sabre, before the Fairy Delta took the airspeed record to a new level in 56 by topping 1000 mph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_airspeed_record
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

I wonder - assuming that you could match velocities with the planet, is there anything stopping you from free-falling from any distance in space to earth like this guy? I always sort of assumed you would burn up in the atmosphere on re-entry from the friction with the atmosphere, like a meteor - but of course meteors tend to have have a big veocity already vs. Earth.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2012, 04:22:39 PM
I wonder - assuming that you could match velocities with the planet, is there anything stopping you from free-falling from any distance in space to earth like this guy? I always sort of assumed you would burn up in the atmosphere on re-entry from the friction with the atmosphere, like a meteor - but of course meteors tend to have have a big veocity already vs. Earth.

Meteors don't burn up because of friction.  It's caused by compressing the gasses in front of the meteor so much they light up. :smarty:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maximus

I think that's one of the things this jump was meant to get data on. What happens to the human body when it breaks the sound barrier? What effect does a free-fall-induced adrenaline rush have in a low-pressure environment? Stuff like that.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2012, 04:02:13 PM

That is pretty risky.

I was young and foolish once.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:15:40 PM

That is pretty risky.

Talk about burning up from the compressed gasses ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Yeah, I always thought things burned up when re-entering the atmosphere. Like spaceships and their ablative shielding and such. Maybe that is just because they are moving much, much faster and are using the atmosphere as a brake?

In other words, a spaceship could re-enter the earth atmosphere without the need for a heat shield if it did not need to use the atmosphere to slow down?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2012, 06:28:13 PM
Yeah, I always thought things burned up when re-entering the atmosphere. Like spaceships and their ablative shielding and such. Maybe that is just because they are moving much, much faster and are using the atmosphere as a brake?

In other words, a spaceship could re-enter the earth atmosphere without the need for a heat shield if it did not need to use the atmosphere to slow down?

Probably but it would take a lot of fuel.  When you come out of orbit you go really, really fast.  This guy's speed was Mach 1.2, the space shuttle would clock in at about Mach 25.  I guess you could turn an engine to slow your decent, but that would probably be more dangerous and expensive.

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on October 16, 2012, 06:28:13 PM
That's a very common technique in sci-fi where they have reactionless thrusters.  It's not practical for real spaceships, but the theory is sound.  It just requires a gigantic amount of thrust while descending.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2012, 05:36:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:15:40 PM

That is pretty risky.

Talk about burning up from the compressed gasses ...

The next day was quite explosive.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I got to say things about science that were relevant and true!  Today is a wonderful day!

dps

Well, technically if you exactly matched speed with the planet, you'd just trail along behind it as it orbited the sun, and never actually "fall". But, A) I know that's not exactly what you meant--at least I don't think that's what you meant;  and B) I don't think an orbit like that's stable.

sbr

If you get too far away the earth's gravity will no longer pull you down and you would just float in space.