News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Red Bull space jump

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 14, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
Big deal. I once ate 20 bowls of chili in one setting.

I see you've been posting in the bbc comments section of the news item:

Comment number 3. Rob
34 Minutes ago

So this is the most important news story in the world right now? Guy jumps out of balloon. Does nothing for 5 mins. Lands on the ground. This is just one man with too much money and nothing better to do.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Clearly not, the styles are way different.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Meh, worthless without sonic boom pics.  I wanted to see what happened to the exposed human body when it does that.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on October 14, 2012, 02:13:39 PM
That gif is rubbish, if they'd left the footage run another 2-3 seconds, we see him reduced to a small grey dot, a much better demonstration of the acceleration.
Here you go

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2012, 11:01:12 AM
The issue, I would have thought, is whether he's taking a real big risk, and if so, what he hopes to accomplish.

Risking your life for a thrill, to get in the record books, or to promote Red Bull, isn't really the same as risking your life to advance science. Assuming he's doing the former and not the latter.
I think he did it for both.  It doesn't change anything to what I think of him.  I still think he's crazy, but we need crazy people to advance science by experiements.  The first astronauts were certainly a bit crazy.  Landing on the moon in a capsule and walking there?  So many things can go wrong.  Yet, they did it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

It is one of those pointless endeavours, but it still is totally awesome. NOne of us know what that will feel like.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Eddie Teach

Reminds me of that line "here I am on top of the world, all I need is a beautiful girl."

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 12:18:47 PM
Reminds me of that line "here I am on top of the world, all I need is a beautiful girl."

:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 14, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
Big deal. I once ate 20 bowls of chili in one setting.
not good enough as you didn't manage to reach orbit.
Eat more and fly higher!

MadImmortalMan

Dude's 26 year old fiancee is a hottie.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach